PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King says Pats have serious "first round interest" in taking an RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeShoure is the only RB worth a first rounder for NE imo. Ingram simply doesn't have the upside a first round pick needs to have.

In the first round, the Patriots have consistently gone for the safe pick. IF, big IF, Mark Ingram's knee checks out, he as as safe a pick as I can think of. Boom or bust is not their MO in the first round, and the times they have tried it, it has not worked out so well -- Watson and Maroney (although I would not call either a bust, they were not worthy of 1st round picks).

You never know. There's always the possibility of the old "DOUBLE double-cross". The FO leaks the RB ting knowing that everyone will think it's misinformation when, in fact, they ARE really interested. Diabolical bunch of folks in the Pats FO, y'know.

;)

GIFSoup

I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend that we were taking Ingram at 17. Leshoure at 28 and Rudolph at 33. A source says Belichick is running a new prolific offense that requires 3 spectacular TE's and 2 phenomenal RB's to to succeed. The new offense will dwarf the 07 team. :)..............................according to sources unknown

This new offense scores 65 points per game as the Patriots also set a record for lowest average margin of victory (one point) and joins the ranks of teams losing in the first round of the playoffs in three consecutive seasons. After the playoff loss, BB is quoted, "Yeah. Maybe I SHOULD have drafted a DE after all."

First round running backs are a dying breed IMO in the pass happy NFL. I'd be disappointed if we took an RB in round 1. There's plenty of value in round 3 and beyond.

Anyone remember Curtis Martin and Terrell Davis from the 1995 draft? They were selected in the third and sixth round, respectively. Conversely, Ki-Jana Carter, Tyrone Wheatley, Napoleon Kaufman, James Stewart and Rashaan Salaam were selected in the first round. Not one was ever selected to a Pro Bowl.

Yes, I understand, this is one polarized example. But it's still a valid point.

These are excellent points made from yesterday's SI article.

The emergence of undrafted running backs like 2010 NFL rushing leader Arian Foster of Houston, LeGarrette Blount of Tampa Bay and Chris Ivory of New Orleans only underscores the reality that there are plenty of quality running backs beyond the first round. Why pay the likes of Reggie Bush, Laurence Maroney, Marshawn Lynch and Felix Jones first-round money when there are so many more productive talents available for cheap?

Minnesota's Adrian Peterson in 2007 and Tennessee's Chris Johnson in 2008 are the most recent elite running backs to enter the league, and both have been well worth their first-round price tags. But for all their greatness, how much have they really made a bottom-line difference? Peterson and Johnson have helped produce just one playoff win for the Vikings and Titans in their seven combined seasons and are 1-3 in the postseason. And let's not forget, three of the past five Super Bowl champions -- the 2010 Packers, 2009 Saints and 2006 Colts -- were heavily passing dominated and ran almost as an afterthought. Little wonder running backs are losing ground in the first round.

"And you have to admit it's not a great draft for running backs this year. Teams are looking at other players. With the unusual amount of defensive players you have in this year's first round, it's a little skewed. That's where the players are on everyone's board. But teams are more patient when it comes to drafting running backs now, and it has been trending that way. Even if you really need one, you don't have to take one in the first round, because you can get them in the second round or later.''

Of the 11 running backs selected in the first round in the past three years, only four have posted seasons of at least 1,000 yards rushing: Johnson, Pittsburgh's Mendenhall, Carolina's Jonathan Stewart and Oakland's Darren McFadden. Johnson and Mendenhall are the only rushers with multiple 1,000-yard seasons, and all but Johnson have lost some playing time to injury issues. The physical demands of the position are necessitating that more teams switch to a multiple-back approach, and that leads to fewer and fewer rushers who operate in a clear-cut No. 1 role. Accordingly, teams have started to draft for complementary roles in the backfield, not lead backs.

Running backs likely will be scarce in 2011 NFL Draft first round - Don Banks - SI.com

Ack no. Please not. Not a RB in the first round. Please BB stick to what you do best; draft for defense in the first round. A RB in the first would really suck considering how much the team needs a pass rusher.

Hopefully this is just smoke get teams in need of a RB to trade up...

1) Folks are posting as if the "first round" and the "first pick" mean the same thing.

2) Let us say that we draft a DE at 17 or thereabouts. Do I believe that the patriots would have ANY first round interest in a running back? Would Ingram or LeShoure be even considered at all at 28 or perhaps with a small trade down?

BOTTOM LINE
Of course there would be some interest by the patriots in a running back between 28 and 32, and of course 33.

What we fear is a running back at 17 instead of a DE.

Wasn't there concern on a RB about 16 years ago who was going to be drafted but was falling in popularity because of his knee problems he had in college?

Ah Yes,that player happened to end up as a HOFer named Curtis Martin

I would definitely take a chance on Ingram if Miami passes on him which I don't think they will
...I would bet that Ingram won't end up like a worthless 1st round piece of sh!t like Maphony who had no concerning injury issues.

RB is better being addressed in the second round,but if the pats want an early RB,Ingram is the guy for the job

Yes, Let's use a 1st round pick on a RB who is no faster, no quicker, isn't stronger, and doesn't have more explosion than the current starting RB on the team.. Ingram also fumbles more than BJGE.. Makes a whole lot of sense... :wha:

This is all one needs to know...

In his 11 drafts with the Patriots, coach Bill Belichick has selected just six running backs. The last time the Patriots have chosen a running back was 2007.

When assessing the chances of the team selecting a running back this year -- and in what area of the draft -- a look at Bill Belichick's drafting history at the position is something to consider. When combining his Patriots (2000-2010) and Browns (1991-95) drafts, here is the breakdown of when he selected running backs/fullbacks:

First round -- 2
Second round -- 0
Third round -- 1
Fourth round -- 1
Fifth round -- 0
Sixth round -- 2
Seventh round -- 2

The two first-round running backs -- Tommy Vardell (1992, Browns, 9th overall) and Laurence Maroney (2006, Patriots, 21st overall) -- were not hits.

Bill Belichick & drafting running backs - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Yeah. I don't buy into the arguments "BB has historically done (or NOT done) X in the draft, so he's likely to follow the pattern", because they never take into account the state of the team at the time or the specific circumstances of those past drafts. If BB believes we need an RB who can generate more yardage than BGE while requiring fewer extra blockers, AND a guy he likes is available at, say, #28, AND he feels he has (or will have) all his other bases covered with other picks, his "history" won't prevent him from making that move.

I know 15 drafts seem like a long time, but that's only 15 players (assuming you're getting one pick per first round). That article could've been written last year saying Belichick never picks a corner in the first round, and then he took McCourty. I don't think that stat holds much meaning, if any at all. The exact same argument could've been made in 2008 when he took Mayo, the first LB he spent a first on. I don't know what he did in Cleveland, just looking at Patriot drafts.

When it comes to RBs, everyone is talking about supply but nobody is talking about demand. Besides the Patriots, there are about 7 teams that would be looking at RB (except for late round fliers) and only a couple of those (Cincy and Miami) have RB as a high priority.

Seems like some 2nd round caliber RBs are going to be sitting there in the 3rd and 4th rounds before the "RB is a medium priority" teams enter the fray. If the Pats love a specific RB, by all means draft him as appropriate. But if the top 7-8 RBs all grade out about the same, just sit back and see what falls to you at #92 or even #125.

Mark Ingram
Mikel LeShoure
Ryan Williams
Daniel Thomas
DeMarco Murray
Jordan Todman
Kendall Hunter
Shane Vereen

At least one of those guys is falling to day 3. If they are unlucky and miss out on that run, there will still be Helu, Scott, Powell and Johnny White as consolation prizes. This year, supply far outstrips demand so patience would seem to be advised when going after RBs.

Funny, I was high on Ingram prior to this past season. However, as the season went on, I believed that Ingram wouldn't be a first round pick. Or, at least, it wouldn't have surprised me if he fell to the second round.

Nonetheless, I prefer to have another big, physical, between the tackles running back like Corey Dillon. I don't know if that's Leshoure but I'm convinced that he or Ingram will be available for New England. Basically, I think Miami could target Leshoure if they're able to acquire a second round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes