PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King on the Underpaid Tom Brady "Taking Notes"

Status
Not open for further replies.
From you lips to God's ears (and Welcome to the Board!).

But, as Reiss points out in this week's Mailbag, TB's not going to take substantially less than Market Value to do that. According to today's NY Daily News, the Maras are discussing a deal with Eli (Magic Helmet) Manning at $40 guaranteed and $14 or $15 a year. I doubt that Brady will stay with Pats for anything other than a little less than that, nor should he.

Sounds like my wild assed guesstimate would be pretty spot on, then. He's never taken substantially less than Market except as compared to the other Manning whose deal was frankly wildly above market at the time. But if several guys are making +/- $12M and a couple of brothers are making $14-15M Tommy will want and beyond deserve to be slotted somewhere in between them and all those other comparatively overpaid guys...firmly in the top 5 but not demanding he top it.

I don't forsee a problem although I'm sure the media will attempt to create one.

Sounds like my wild assed guesstimate would be pretty spot on, then. He's never taken substantially less than Market except as compared to the other Manning whose deal was frankly wildly above market at the time. But if several guys are making +/- $12M and a couple of brothers are making $14-15M Tommy will want and beyond deserve to be slotted somewhere in between them and all those other comparatively overpaid guys...firmly in the top 5 but not demanding he top it.

I don't forsee a problem although I'm sure the media will attempt to create one.

Yeah, I think that's a good way to look at what might happen, though we're all just speculating. Top five, but not number one. $40 guaranteed and $12--15 per year is probably what it will take to get it done. And, if you and I have figured that out, I'm willing to bet the farm that the Krafts have as well.

If he takes significantly less than market, he skews the market. If he insists on a record braking contract, he also skews the market, taking more form the little guys and putting more into the QBs pockets.

I think Brady will only ask for a better contract if the Pats can afford it. If the Pats have cap issues, to me Brady will make room in the cap as long as he can still compete and win.

If I'm Brady and my wife is worth 150 millions, I won't care how much the Pats pay me as long as I can still play and win games.

First of all, neither of us know Brady (at least I'll admit that I don't know him), so you might be right. He might think that way. However, I doubt it.

His wife received her money by getting paid what she was worth. Why should it be any different for Tommy? He too is a professional with a skill set/value proposition that declines with age and he too deserves to get paid what he is worth on the market (or at a small discount to stay with the winning forumula at the Pats) while his skills command the money. I just have a hard time imagining that he would think differently. But, I could be wrong.

Absent other information (you might know him personally and know that what you wrote is a fact) and absent an unexpected and marked decline in his post-ACL performance, anything less than $40 guaranteed and $13 or 14 a year will probably be off the table. And, IMO, it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft