PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King on Inside the Nfl Rpts.Pats/Bears Tilt Likely to move to Sunday nite

Status
Not open for further replies.
italia44 said:
I'll watch for it this sunday.....like you I'm a crusader for HD.
This policy of the networks that some games are in HD,and some are not is outrageous.
I'm the same way with closed-captioning.....it's all about the money.
As I mentioned in another post, CBS is the worst with this. They will put sometimes only 2 of their games in HD.

patsox23 said:
FOX protecting iggles-colts and not Bears-Pats is EXACTLY what's wrong with sports today. What a pack of idiots. Good for us, though.

Hard core football fans love defensive battles. Casual fans like offensive shootouts. Philly vs. Indy has the makings of a 44-41 game which plays great to casual fans.

QuiGon said:
As I mentioned in another post, CBS is the worst with this. They will put sometimes only 2 of their games in HD.

HD cameras don't grow on trees, and when you multiply the expense times the number of HD cameras it takes to cover a football game, it's really not worth it to cover a game like Arizona-Oakland in HD.

Don't worry, I'm fairly confident every Pats game this season will be in HD.

BradyManny2344 said:
HD cameras don't grow on trees, and when you multiply the expense times the number of HD cameras it takes to cover a football game, it's really not worth it to cover a game like Arizona-Oakland in HD.

A lot of the Colts games aren't in HD. It surprises me every week that I don't see the Colts in the HD listings. In the two years that I have had HD every Pats game has been broadcast in HD regardless of their opponent.

BradyManny2344 said:
HD cameras don't grow on trees,
That's right. And one network has spent the money to have up to seven games on HD and one network spent the money to have only up to 3 games on HD. So I will give credit to that network that has spent the money to do the best they can.

BradyManny2344 said:
and when you multiply the expense times the number of HD cameras it takes to cover a football game, it's really not worth it to cover a game like Arizona-Oakland in HD.

As am I, but I watch a wide variety of NFL games every Sunday - not just the Patriots. It sickens me when a good AFC matchup isn't on HD because CBS is too cheap to spend the money on HD telecasts. There's no reason Jaguars-Colts shouldn't be in high definition.

Last edited:
QuiGon said:
As am I, but I watch a wide variety of NFL games every Sunday - not just the Patriots. It sickens me when a good AFC matchup isn't on HD because CBS is too cheap to spend the money on HD telecasts.

They're running a business, they have to do what's best for them. I'm not sure what % of Americans have HD at this point, but it's still low, and I'm not going to blame CBS for broadcasting some games in SD still.

When for sure will we know if the Bears/Pats are on Sunday Night on NBC>?>

BradyManny2344 said:
They're running a business, they have to do what's best for them. I'm not sure what % of Americans have HD at this point, but it's still low, and I'm not going to blame CBS for broadcasting some games in SD still.
Fine. But when one network is too cheap to go to HD for a majority of their NFL telecasts, I give credit to the network that isn't too cheap to go to HD. I don't know why you've taken the stance of a CBS apologist. They are clearly behind the other networks (not to mention behind the curve) in terms of high definition telecasts. All your excuses do nothing to change that.

Keegs said:
When for sure will we know if the Bears/Pats are on Sunday Night on NBC>?>
I believe the NFL requires at least 2 weeks notice.

BradyManny2344 said:

I agree with you about not caring about Arizona @ Oakland not being in HD, but that is because I am not a fan of either of those teams. I am sure their fans who shell out a bunch of money on HD TV's and Sunday Ticket care.

A lot of good games don't get broadcast in HD, as quigon pointed out. That is why I mentioned the Colts because they are the best team that gets left out the most and ironically the RCA dome is the stadium that games look the best in HD, IMO.

That sucks, I hate going to night games. The switch to a 4:15 game isn't bad but the 8:15 (or Mon. night games) really blows in my own, selfish little world.

mgcolby said:
A lot of good games don't get broadcast in HD, as quigon pointed out. That is why I mentioned the Colts because they are the best team that gets left out the most and ironically the RCA dome is the stadium that games look the best in HD, IMO.
I don't think CBS has broadcast in HD from the RCA Dome yet this year. The one HD telecast from the RCA dome was the Redskins game - on Fox.

Last edited:
QuiGon said:
I don't think CBS has broadcast in HD from the RCA Dome yet this year. The one HD telecast from the RCA dome was the Redskins game - on Fox.

Not sure? They spend billions of dollars for the privelage of broadcasting NFL games and they don't show every game in HD. It doesn't make sense. The only reason I bought an HD tv this early was to watch the NFL, obviously now that I have it I would prefer to watch everything in HD but the NFL was the original reason. This may sound petty to some, especially to people that do not have HD, but I hate watching football in non-HD broadcast unless it is on a standard definition tv. On an HD tv, SD broadcasts look horrible. So when I am watching the 4 pm games on Sunday Ticket and the best game on, is not available in HD, it pisses me off.

Last edited:
Add me to the wicked pissed list of HD viewers chagrined (nicer word, eh?) at the lack of HD broadcasts. And also add me to the POed list if the game moves to night. I drive a couple hours just to get to the game never mind the hours of stadium traffic delay.

QuiGon said:
Fine. But when one network is too cheap to go to HD for a majority of their NFL telecasts, I give credit to the network that isn't too cheap to go to HD. I don't know why you've taken the stance of a CBS apologist. They are clearly behind the other networks (not to mention behind the curve) in terms of high definition telecasts. All your excuses do nothing to change that.

I'm not a CBS apologist, I could care less about CBS or Fox, but I work in the field digital video and I know that this stuff isn't as cheap as people think. There's so much turnover in equipment and technology is being developed so rapidly that I wouldn't hold it against anyone who was hesitant to buy anything HD related, as nothing is really set in stone at this point.

Good for Fox that they are willing to broadcast every game in HD, but I guess I don't understand why that forces CBS to have to do likewise. It's still going to be a quite a while before everything is HD.

BradyManny2344 said:
It's still going to be a quite a while before everything is HD.
Wasn't the original deal when HD broadcasting was created that all broadcast stations had to eventually switch entirely to HD? (Or was it digital but not HDTV?) I seem to think we're getting closer to that time, though I think the original deadline was moved back.

alamo said:
Wasn't the original deal when HD broadcasting was created that all broadcast stations had to eventually switch entirely to HD? (Or was it digital but not HDTV?) I seem to think we're getting closer to that time, though I think the original deadline was moved back.

Yeah, all cable has to be digital by 2009, I think. Only the networks can afford HD right now, and even some sitcoms and shows still can't find it in their budget. There's HDV, but I'm not completely sure who uses that or how good it looks.

Anyway, the bottom line is, I think it's still too early in the history of HD to be upset that CBS doesn't air all its games in HD.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Besides, there is HDTV and there is HDTV. 720i (interlaced), is just a halfway measure, yet it can still be called HDTV.

True HDTV is 1020p (Progressive) and the only one that truly counts. How many bradcasts now are in that format?

Its only a couple of years to everything is real HDTV; relax and look forward to it.

While we're on HDTV......another travesty is HD w/o Dolby Digital.

I run my PC and HDTV thru my stereo system with 7 speakers + sub.

Only ESPN broadcasts all their content in HD,as well as DD.

Even the big networks don't bother with DD,it's a crime.

DD is fantastic for a Football game,especially your NFL team at home.

The NFL NETWORK is the WORST offender whwn it comes to broadcast quality.

No HD,poor video,the worst audio I've ever heard.

No Closed-Captioning(I've emailed them 20 times about CC,never got a reply).

They should be embarrassed by their broadcasts,with all the money they have.

Both the Bears and Pats are better teams than the Eagles and Colts... perhaps FOX fears too much defense between the Pats-Bears, and hope for a scoring fest between the Eangles-Colts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back