PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perfect Prospect Fits for NE

Actually, I'm going with the "Point & Laugh at your Psychotic BreakDown" ComeBack. ;)

The only one who doesn't know it is you. :eek:
Righhhht......production.........:confused:

Would love this kid @32. He's got special written all over him. We need pass rush. Who better?

Would love this kid @32. He's got special written all over him. We need pass rush. Who better?

Don't like him at all, I'm afraid. He's a wide 9 speed rusher who can't set the edge, from what I've seen.

Of course you don't like him.

He's had...production....

Hate those kind of guys.

Give me the guy who hasn't done ****!

I look at guys from Southwest Mid-North Eastern Kazahkstan State. Go Tartar Mongols!

Of course you don't like him.

He's had...production....

Hate those kind of guys.

Give me the guy who hasn't done ****!

It has nothing to do with his production. It has to do with how his game fits the Pats. I think Orchard is a bit like Jason Babin. He's a high effort pass rusher with good bend but without elite speed, and whose game is lacking in other respects. He's had a good season, especially if you believe that sacks are the ultimate measure of a DE's "production", and there's no reason to believe that he won't find a place in the NFL. But "perfect fit"? Far from it. His skill set just doesn't fit well. His edge setting and run support are week, and he doesn't do well in space. He struggled quite a bit when Utah tried to use him in a hybrid role earlier this season - he's probably best used as a full time pass rusher, but he lacks the elite athleticism to be an impact player in that role. He's a bad fit, regardless of his production. Chandler Jones never had more than 4.5 sacks a season in college, but his skill set fit well.

Last edited:
Manx, Mayo, what about Virgina's DE/OLB Eli Harold? I seen on twitter Daniel Jeremiah is a fan of him.

Manx, Mayo, what about Virgina's DE/OLB Eli Harold? I seen on twitter Daniel Jeremiah is a fan of him.

JMHO, but I'm not wild about Harold as a fit either. I've been spectacularly wrong many times before - I wasn't at all high on Akeem Ayers coming out in 2011, and was very meh on the trade when it first happened earlier this year until Ayers proved me wrong - but I see Harold as a bit too one-dimensional, and also someone who may not be physical enough to impact at the next level. Dane Brugler notes:

Harold is a quick starter off the ball with natural burst out of his stance and an active play style to attack blockers. With quick footwork, he is a pesky defender to block in space and does a nice job with his upper body to extend and lock out, putting linemen on their heels. Harold has a lean build with minimal bulk on his frame and needs to develop his functional power for the next level to better match up on the edges as a run defender. He also tends to rush too upright, negating his flexibility or leverage, allowing blockers to engulf and overwhelm him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ia-lb-eli-harold-adds-his-name-to-draft-class

Now his teammate Max Valles is really high on my list. Again, this is very early, and could easily change after more film study. I think it's important to keep an open mind about all prospects and re-evaluate several times between now and the draft.

Last edited:
So did this guy! Won the Heisman and a national championship! Make him a 1st round pick!

Didn't our current Offensive Coordinater draft him in the 1st round? I think I remember that. And didn't Belichick sign him at one point? Hmmm.....

Didn't our current Offensive Coordinater draft him in the 1st round? I think I remember that. And didn't Belichick sign him at one point? Hmmm.....

And didn't he suck? And isn't he out of the NFL? Hmmm ....

If that's your standard for a worthwhile 1st round draft pick, good luck.

And didn't he suck? And isn't he out of the NFL? Hmmm ....

If that's your standard for a worthwhile 1st round draft pick, good luck.
Not mine, just sayin'. You threw him out there as your example. I wouldn't advocate for NE to take any QB's in this draft.

If you said trade up for Holliman, I'd be on board with that. He's the only guy I'd say that for. He'll be what, 21 in May? Ballhawking Safety. No one else in this draft screams "get him" other than that dude. Other than that stand pat or trade back.

14 picks? Yeah, I like that kind of production.

I like his speed and ability to chase people down from behind but only as a linebacker. I don't think he's stout enough to play on the line on our defense. The other thing I'm not sure about is how fluid he is. I've ignored him and Valles up too now, I need to have a look at both.

Not mine, just sayin'. You threw him out there as your example. I wouldn't advocate for NE to take any QB's in this draft.

If you said trade up for Holliman, I'd be on board with that. He's the only guy I'd say that for. He'll be what, 21 in May? Ballhawking Safety. No one else in this draft screams "get him" other than that dude. Other than that stand pat or trade back.

I wouldn't even consider him with our first pick. He looks for the ball too much which doesn't sound too bad, but when it costs him from making the tackle its not worth it. And that's not even taking in to account that when he does look to make the tackle he simply can't, he's that bad of a tackler. He's like Steve Gregory but can make a play on the ball better than he did.

LOL, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Holliman's a guy I wouldn't touch in the first 2 days, if at all. He can't tackle to save his life, and he has a bad shoulder. Trade up for him? I wouldn't touch him. But I'm praying some team shares your philosophy and takes him early, pushing a better player down to us.

You are entitled to your opinion, and mine is certainly far from gospel. I've been wrong many, many times, and it wouldn't shock me to be wrong about any of the guys you've touted. What I object to is the implication that I dislike any of them because of their college production. Production is useful and certainly not to be hated, but by no means indicative of future performance. It's just one piece of the puzzle, IMO. You certainly seem to weigh it - or your view of it, which seems to be highly influenced by stats such as sacks and interceptions - more highly than I do in determining both draft value and "fit". Again, your entitled to your view, and you could end up being right.

Last edited:
If you said trade up for Holliman, I'd be on board with that. He's the only guy I'd say that for. He'll be what, 21 in May? Ballhawking Safety. No one else in this draft screams "get him" other than that dude.

The dude who can't/doesn't want to tackle ? Really ? God..

The dude who can't/doesn't want to tackle ? Really ? God..
He got 14 interceptions and never recorded a tackle? Amazing.:rolleyes:

:54. Blows the dude up.

He got 14 interceptions and never recorded a tackle? Amazing.

Watch some tape instead of just looking at stat sheets. This makes you as ignorant as the majority of pro bowl voters. Context matters a lot.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back