PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perfect Prospect Fits for NE

Watched pursig today and he looked terrible. Maybe he was hurt, but he looked awful.

I got to take him off this list.

Michael bennett Ohio State could be a good pick. Kind of the guy Easley was supposed to be.

I'm throwing Devin Smith up on here immediately, I already liked him but after watching his special teams work last night and playing under Urban, BB must be in love,as am I

I think Easely is gonna be fine next season. This was pretty much a season to get him healthy. I have a feeling next season is when we're gonna see him play like we all thought he would.

God, look around you. What's been the big concern every week, all year. Up grading the OL. Now I have no idea who that guy is, but it is critical that the Pats draft a sure fire starter for the interior OL. I want him athletic, quick, mean, smart. and over 320.....and being at least 6'4 won't hurt either..

After that I don't care what positions we draft and who they are, and what draft capital (or not) it takes to get our man. (though I'm sure I'll have several binkies by the time April comes around. :) )

Ok, now that you made me think about it, and since they are going to MAKE us draft some other guys anyway. While we are there, I'd love to draft a TE who could at least have the skill set of Hooman (good blocker), and save a million.

I'd still love to find a guy LIKE Shaq Thompson. In other words a KPL/Sherzer-like hybrid S/LB type. Again someone younger and cheaper than Cassillas. There should be more of those guys coming out in the later rounds..

I'd love to find a 6'3 CB somewhere that would be worth trying to develop, especially someone we can find at some small college late on the 3rd day.

DL is always a necessity, preferably a disruptive Aaron Donald type. Run stoppers are easier to find in FA (See Allen Branch). These will be harder to find because of Donald's success, everyone will want one. So once again I think we''ll have to go the small college/bad program/injury route and get lucky

Strategy - IIRC with the comp pick and trade, we are going to start the draft with 5 picks in the top 100. With the theme of "quality over quantity" being the watchword, I'd like to have made no more that 3 selections after we spend the Tampa pick. But I want at least 2 of those selection to start or be ready to play a big role next year.

God, look around you. What's been the big concern every week, all year. Up grading the OL. Now I have no idea who that guy is, but it is critical that the Pats draft a sure fire starter for the interior OL. I want him athletic, quick, mean, smart. and over 320.....and being at least 6'4 won't hurt either..

After that I don't care what positions we draft and who they are, and what draft capital (or not) it takes to get our man. (though I'm sure I'll have several binkies by the time April comes around. :) )

Ok, now that you made me think about it, and since they are going to MAKE us draft some other guys anyway. While we are there, I'd love to draft a TE who could at least have the skill set of Hooman (good blocker), and save a million.

I'd still love to find a guy LIKE Shaq Thompson. In other words a KPL/Sherzer-like hybrid S/LB type. Again someone younger and cheaper than Cassillas. There should be more of those guys coming out in the later rounds..

I'd love to find a 6'3 CB somewhere that would be worth trying to develop, especially someone we can find at some small college late on the 3rd day.

DL is always a necessity, preferably a disruptive Aaron Donald type. Run stoppers are easier to find in FA (See Allen Branch). These will be harder to find because of Donald's success, everyone will want one. So once again I think we''ll have to go the small college/bad program/injury route and get lucky

Strategy - IIRC with the comp pick and trade, we are going to start the draft with 5 picks in the top 100. With the theme of "quality over quantity" being the watchword, I'd like to have made no more that 3 selections after we spend the Tampa pick. But I want at least 2 of those selection to start or be ready to play a big role next year.

I'm completely confused as to what the point of this is, Ken. This thread is just about identifying guys who seem to be good fits for the Pats, not about draft priorities or needs.

I'm completely confused as to what the point of this is, Ken. This thread is just about identifying guys who seem to be good fits for the Pats, not about draft priorities or needs.
Sorry about that. I think it started as my usual reaction to looking at WR's early....and then when from there. I guess I wanted to participate but didn't know any specific names, just a general sense of how I'd like the draft to go..
'
But if you need specific names, I guess I'd like this year's version of Logan Mankins, and the low end versions of Daniel Graham, Brandon Bowner, and Dominic Easley. And I promise to be better educated on the specifics on this year's rookie crop after the superbowl. ;)

Tony Lippett smells like a Pats fit to me. Can play WR, CB and STs. "8 down player".

I think Easley is gonna be fine next season. This was pretty much a season to get him healthy. I have a feeling next season is when we're gonna see him play like we all thought he would.

Yes, indeed. There was no reason to expect him to be 100% this Year, in the first place. At most, there was initially reason to hope that he might possibly be 100% by the end of the Year, if he was worked back in gradually, but no reason to expect that. Anything we got this Year was gonna be Gravy.

Tony Lippett smells like a Pats fit to me. Can play WR, CB and STs. "8 down player".
I think BB will really like him, I wouldn't complain with him picked one bit

Anyone see James Castleman from Oklahoma State yesterday.. 6'2 300 lb DT who was used as a short yardage ball carrier (scored a TD) and caught a pass in the flat and rumbled (there is no other word for it) for 48 yards to lock up the game at crunch time.. A little too light ( get him a nutritionist)
but might be worth a late round Klecko-esque pick. He's projected as a 5th rounder....

Last edited:
Yes I saw him, good call!

Starting to think that defensively, aside from Dante Fowler who strikes me as the best Patriot fit, Owamagbe Odighizuwa is the next best defensive fit. Plays 3, 5 and 7 techs and probably could stand up in a limited role, is very good against the run and rushes extremely well inside. He, in particular, and Corey Crawford are two of my favourite DL prospects in this draft.

Starting to think that defensively, aside from Dante Fowler who strikes me as the best Patriot fit, Owamagbe Odighizuwa is the next best defensive fit. Plays 3, 5 and 7 techs and probably could stand up in a limited role, is very good against the run and rushes extremely well inside. He, in particular, and Corey Crawford are two of my favourite DL prospects in this draft.

All great options, without a doubt. I like all of them. But I'm personally leaning towards a more fluid player in space than Odighizuwa or Crawford. Bud Dupree/Danielle Hunter, or Noah Spence/Max Valles. I'm really excited about Valles coming out.

DT in the 1st (Goldman/Phillips/Brown), OL in the 2nd, and Velles/Spence in the 3rd would be perfect for me.

Devin funchess in 1st. Jake Fisher in second. Kevin johnson cb in third. Trey flowers in tgird. Maybe Michael bennett from osu in the third.

Noah spence more an udfa.

All great options, without a doubt. I like all of them. But I'm personally leaning towards a more fluid player in space than Odighizuwa or Crawford. Bud Dupree/Danielle Hunter, or Noah Spence/Max Valles. I'm really excited about Valles coming out.

DT in the 1st (Goldman/Phillips/Brown), OL in the 2nd, and Velles/Spence in the 3rd would be perfect for me.

I'm not a fan of late first DT's - just don't see the value and I'm not convinced fluid EDGE players feature that strongly in our defense although that may change of course. It's hard to know how BB values Zach Moore but Odighizuwa and Crawford fit that Zach Moore/Rufus Johnson type player but arguably upgrade both.

I'm not a fan of late first DT's - just don't see the value and I'm not convinced fluid EDGE players feature that strongly in our defense although that may change of course. It's hard to know how BB values Zach Moore but Odighizuwa and Crawford fit that Zach Moore/Rufus Johnson type player but arguably upgrade both.

I expect us to disagree on some of this, which is fine.

I don't think of it in terms of "late first DT's". I think that Eddie Goldman, Jordan Phillips and Malcolm Brown are all well worth a 1st round pick and are potential long term successors to VW, and therefore well worth taking. I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 are long gone before we pick. I had Dontari Poe worth a late 1st in 2012, and he was indeed well worth a late 1st round pick - and unfortunately also well worth a top-15 pick, where he eventually went.

As we've discussed in other threads, I think it's an open question as to what kind of DE the Pats prefer. I tend to be leaning towards a more fluid player who can play DE/OLB in a 2-4-5/4-2-5 hybrid "sub is the base", which is why I'm so high on guys like Dupree, Fowler, Hunter, Spence and Valles. But it's just my guess/preference, and I have no idea which way the Pats will go. Guys like Odighizuwa, Preston Smith, Crawford and even Mario Edwards could make sense if the Pats want to upgrade the Zach Moore/Rufus Johnson kind of prototype.

I have no doubt that Odighizuwa is a 1st round talent. I have 2 concerns about him: his prior hip injury, and whether he is quite fluid enough for my preferences. The first needs to be medically investigated, the second is mainly a matter of what kind of role the Pats envision.

I'd have no problem with any of these guys if they ended up the pick. But for now, I'm still leaning in a slightly different direction from you.

"Sub is the new base" is exactly why I've gone for those 6'5", 270 lb type guys because they can play the 3, 5 and 7 techs.

As for DTs, I can't speak about Phillips because I haven't seen him, his measurements are certainly intriguing, and I probably would end up giving Goldman and Brown second round grades. My only concern about the DT position is that, aside from Terry Williams, I've yet to find a later rounder that really appeals to me.

"Sub is the new base" is exactly why I've gone for those 6'5", 270 lb type guys because they can play the 3, 5 and 7 techs.

There are very few players who can play the 3, 5, 7, and 9 techs and play 3-4 OLB. Chandler Jones and Ziggy Ansah probably come closest. A healthy Dominique Easley might have the athleticism to do it, though little experience playing OLB. There are some intriguing guys like DeForest Buckner, Danielle Hunter (if he bulks up), but mostly I think you either optimize for a 3, 5, 7 tech or a 7, 9, OLB. I don't know the answer - I like both types of players. I can see it playing out either way.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back