PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perfect Prospect Fits for NE

I don't know how much he has been talked about here, but I think Kwon Alexander from LSU would be a perfect fit on the back end of the roster in the middle rounds.

Solid on all areas of special teams, which would finally make one of those roster spots to someone who could develop into a key role player. A little small for a linebacker, but could play that big nickel role that people have been talking about in sub packages as he might run a 4.4-4.5. He has shown the ability to line up in the slot and cover WRs man to man (though that was against weaker competition). Very productive for LSU this year as he was their leading tackler.

Seems like the Pats were scrambling for linebackers, though even with Mayo back next year, could see a guy like Alexander competing for a roster spot.
If Casillas skips town he'd be a great addition. Hadn't noticed him on ST's, but really I only watched the Music City Bowl. Everyone probably just expects Casillas and Ayers will just sign back up here. I'm skeptical. Good call nickw.

Actually, he's been a rock. I'd waffle on that one. And for whatever reason I said Larson instead of Marcus Martin. Brainfart.

The rookie center for GB has also been excellent - Corey Linsley, taken in the 5th round (#161 overall). BB said before the GB game that the Pats liked him a lot, and implied that they chose Stork over him:
“Linsley is a guy that we were all over too at Ohio State and after we took Stork in the fourth round, we didn’t really plan on coming right back and taking the same position,” Belichick said. “But, he was a guy we spent a lot of time on and had a lot of interest in too. He’s done a good job for the Packers. [He’s] started all year and is playing behind two very experienced players at guard similar to Bryan’s situation here. There is a lot at that position -- a learning curve and being a rookie -- just on a lot of levels, especially with cadence.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...ked-packers-center-corey-linsley-in-draft-too

The rookie center for GB has also been excellent - Corey Linsley, taken in the 5th round (#161 overall). BB said before the GB game that the Pats liked him a lot, and implied that they chose Stork over him:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...ked-packers-center-corey-linsley-in-draft-too
It's funny now that you bring him up. I even liked Matt Paradis over Stork (Boise St. love-guilty). The 2 guys from the major schools were an after thought. Bodine from Utah was a yeah, maybe kind of guy to me.

GB took him what, 6 picks after Stork. Richburg, Swanson and Martin have 15 starts....combined. I guess we made out alright. In Bill I Trust.

It's funny now that you bring him up. I even liked Matt Paradis over Stork (Boise St. love-guilty). The 2 guys from the major schools were an after thought. Bodine from Utah was a yeah, maybe kind of guy to me.

GB took him what, 6 picks after Stork. Richburg, Swanson and Martin have 15 starts....combined. I guess we made out alright. In Bill I Trust.

My personal binky was John Urschel, who also went in the 5th round. He played as a guard in college (and for the Ravens this year) but was tried some at center last post-season. I thought that he had the athleticism, size and especially the smarts to be an outstanding center.

My personal binky was John Urschel, who also went in the 5th round. He played as a guard in college (and for the Ravens this year) but was tried some at center last post-season. I thought that he had the athleticism, size and especially the smarts to be an outstanding center.
I hate him right now because he's a Raven. After we beat them Sat. I can be alright with him again.:D

My personal opinion - again, early in the draft process, and subject to change - regarding the 3 guys you have mentioned recently:

3. Gerod Holliman. He's a good ballhawk, but he's got signficant fundamental issues in tackling and run support, and questions about a chronic shoulder problem that need to be evaluated. One [anonymous] scout calls him "a mess", and I think that his interceptions overshadow some fundamental issues, so I personally wouldn't consider him before the 3rd/4th round, though I think he'll go sooner than that. It's quite possible that (if the medical issues are resolved) he can be coached up in the fundamentals and become a very good safety, but a lot would depend on the quality of his coaching and his work ethic, intelligence, and perseverence. He's an intriguing prospect, but right now I have a "buyer beware" label on him.

From Matt Miller's scouting notebook today, FWIW:
— NFL.com reported this week that Louisville safety Gerod Holliman is "lazy and doesn't practice hard". Here's what worries me about this—reports about practice almost always come from coaches, as scouts don't see enough practices to have a definitive opinion. Holliman left college as a redshirt sophomore after just one season with the current staff, so you have to wonder if there is an axe to grind.

— I asked a Louisville teammate about Holliman being lazy or not working hard. His reply, "It's sort of his personality. He's a quiet guy that doesn't say a whole lot. I wouldn't categorize him as lazy. He's just casual at times. But I also wouldn't say he gives it everything he has in practice. Pryor and Smith practiced hard last year, but that's because of (former head coach) Strong."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...matt-millers-scouting-notebook-pre-divisional

Not dispositive, but not exactly encouraging, either.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back