PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATSNUTme says it's OT, but: Bills again turned upside down by 3-4 defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use 4-3 heavy, Dabruinz uses "jumbo," it's just a way to describe a 40 front that features two 320+ lb earthshakers at DT and two 300+ lb Atlas rockets at DE.

When I type 4-2/3 pass rush, I'm referring to the package that brings in NE's hybrid OLB edge rushers - Warren is listed at 6'5" 300, that's a 3" 40 lb dropoff to Burgess, on the other side you have a 3" 60 lb dropoff to TBC. More speed, less beef and shorter arms.

A standard 4-3, if there is such an animal, is more along the lines of 280 lb DEs and 300+ lb DTs. Julius Peppers is 6'7" 283, Jared Allen is 6'6" 270. Then you go to the old Colts DL that used 280 lb DTs and 240-260 lb DEs to be quicker off the ball and more disruptive through penetration.

Capers typically runs a Pittsburgh penetrating style 3-4. Here's an article that talks a little about how the OLBs are suppose to rush the passer: Victoria Advocate | Injuries give Packers' Poppinga shot to start

how do you recognize the 4-2/2-4 and the 3-3/1-6? Is it a matter of recognizing who's on the field?

I ask this because in the cincy game they ran some 3-4 with the OLB on LOS so to a novice, it looks like a 5-2. Or did they go from a 3-4 to 5-2 right there?

Last edited:
how do you recognize the 4-2/2-4 and the 3-3/1-6? Is it a matter of recognizing who's on the field?

I ask this because in the cincy game they ran some 3-4 with the OLB on LOS so to a novice, it looks like a 5-2. Or did they go from a 3-4 to 5-2 right there?
I base my characterization on personnel:

4-3 heavy against Cincy: 1st team L-R, Warren, Wilfork, Pryor, Seymour; 2nd team, Richard, Brace, Pryor, S.Williams; 3rd team, Richard, Adams, Pryor/Brace, S. Williams.
4-2 nickel: L-R Burgess, Warren/Wilfork or Green/Seymour, TBC
4-2 tricky nickel (for lack of a better name) that showed up at the end of the 1st half: Woods, S. Williams, TBC (playing the old Vrabel hybrid DT/LB role), Pryor. That's the formation that got the sack to close the half, TBC stood up and delayed his rush while spying O'Sullivan, when he saw him bailing out to the offensive right because the other three were collapsing the pocket up the middle and from the QB's left side, TBC took off around the formation and forced O'Sullivan to dodge into Woods & Williams for the sack. Good coverage from Chung, Wheatley, McGowan, Springs, Alexander, and Butler or T. Williams, plus a nice effort by the DL...end of the half.

Right now NE is platooning Woods and TBC, Woods for run downs, TBC for passing downs. However, I'm seeing enough from Woods on passing downs and TBC on running downs to say either could do an adequate job if they were forced to carry the full load - right now Pees & Co. are having fun using them where they are strongest. Burgess was standing up taking 4-3 OLB reps against Philly, but he's going to primarily be used as a pass rusher unless injury strikes. Jarvis Green can start for Seymour in the 3-4 and he'll give Sey a breather on occasion, but 80% of the time - give or take a few points - he's in to collapse the pocket and pressure the QB. Mike Wright was playing that role a lot last year. Pryor looks like the kid who'll be first off the bench for passing situations this year. By the end of the season I expect NE will have run enough different personnel packages and formation changes at defenses that counting all your fingers and toes won't be enough - BB has this team and his coaching staff primed to mess with people's heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes