PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patsfans Draft Forum Patriots Mock- The Grand Finale*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The value chart is ridiculaous. There is no break after three, for a top QB, nor at 10 when the prices get reaonalble. There is no break at 16 when the length of a contract changes.ther ar enio discontinuities at 96 ateh endof the third and the first of the fourth, some time later; nor the same at the end of the 4th, 5th, 6th.

If you can find another that is more up to date, please post it. This is the trade value chart that is in most evry draft site. But we can use a more up to date one, if there is one.

Damn I can never resist these:

23. Clint Sintim - OLB Virginia
34. William Beatty - OT Connecticut
47. Patrick Chung - S Oregon
58. Jon Luigs - G Arkansas
89+124 = 79 Shawn Nelson - TE Southern Miss
97 Jasper Brinkley - ILB South Carolina
170 John Gill - DE Northwestern
199. Joe Burnett - CB Central Florida
207 Terrance Knighton - NT Temple
234 Tiquan Underwood - WR Rutgers

Top undrafted guys on my board:
Pierre Walters OLB Eastern Illinois
Curtis Painter QB Purdue
Josh Mauga ILB Nevada
Blake Schlueter C/G TCU
Ryan Durand G Syracuse
Don Carey CB Norfolk St
Kory Sperry TE Colorado St
Eron Riley WR Duke
Nader Abdallah DE Ohio St

Other guys I'd try to bring in as UDFA:
Andrew Hartline OT Central Michigan
Mark Parson CB Ohio
Zach Miller QB/TE Nebraska Omaha
Lonnie Harvey NT Morgan St
Vaughn Martin NT Western Ontario
Manuel Johnson WR Oklahoma
DJ Boldin WR Wake Forest
Brandon Long OLB Michigan St
Jarriett Buie OLB South Florida
Rich Ohrnberger G Penn St
Phil Trautwein OT Florida
Vincent Butler CB New Mexico St
Alex Fletcher C/G Stanford
Eric Peterman WR Northwestern
Maurice Kitchens ILB Marshall
Kirston Pittman ILB LSU
Khalif Mitchell DE East Carolina
Rashaad Duncan DE Pittsburgh
Kyle Bell RB Colorado St
Trimaine Goddard S North Carolin

Did you put him as an ILB to show his versatility?

That is where I have always had him playing for the Patriots as a Tedy replacement. I think he would be great being inside and providing the inside pass rush that we have missed for a couple of years now. Given his upside and coachablity, I think BB woudl love him in that spot.

He and Mayo would give us 2 good ILB's for years to come.

No trades necessary; their rankings listed in parentheses:

23 - Connor Barwin, OLB (31)
34 - William Beatty, OT (43)
47 - Louis Delmas, S (51)
58 - Jarron Gilbert, DE (58)
89 - Jason Williams, LB (96)
97 - TJ Lang, OG (127), or Trevor Canfield OG (104)
124 - Mike Wallace, WR (167)
170 - Sammie Lee Hill, DT (172), or Chris Baker DT (197)
199 - Devin Moore, RB (233)
207 - Joe Burnett, CB (206)
234 - Thomas Morstead, P (236)

I would be in 7th heaven with that draft. Can't imagine a better one for me, given my player preferences.

Other than the lack of a third QB, I'd be darn thrilled with this, too.

Of course, the odds of the Patriots drafting 11 players this year is about the same as my hooking up with the lovely Ms. Akra. . . . :)

#23 Clint Sintim OLB Virginia
#34 William Beatty OT UCONN
#47 Eric Wood OG Louisville
#58 William Moore S Missouri
#89 Andy Levitre OG Oregon State
#97 Jasper Brinkley ILB South Carolina
#124 Chris Clemons FS Clemson
#170 Ian Johnson RB Boise St
#199 Jorvorskie Lane FB Texas A&M
#207 DJ Clark CB Idaho State
#234 Rob Myers TE Utah State

23 – Rey Maualuga LB
34 – Conner Barwin OLB
47 – Louis Delmas S
58 – Jarron Gilbert DE
89 – Andy Levitre OG
97 – Troy Kropog OT
124 – Jason Phillips ILB
170 – Ian Johnson RB (Binky alert:cool:)
199 – Edwin Williams C
207 – Bear Pascoe TE/LS
234 – Demetrius Byrd WR

That is where I have always had him playing for the Patriots as a Tedy replacement. I think he would be great being inside and providing the inside pass rush that we have missed for a couple of years now. Given his upside and coachablity, I think BB woudl love him in that spot.

He and Mayo would give us 2 good ILB's for years to come.

I don't see him as Bruschi's replacement because they just aren't the same type of player size-wise and ability-wise. Bruschi is shorter, but has 10 more pounds on him and is more of a run stuffer with intelligence. Matthews is in the mold of Guyton who is fast and his is good getting to the ball, but has work to do in the running game. This is why I am leaning more towards Sintim at 23. I can see him making a smoother transition to ILB because of his size and experience at LB.

I don't see him as Bruschi's replacement because they just aren't the same type of player size-wise and ability-wise. Bruschi is shorter, but has 10 more pounds on him and is more of a run stuffer with intelligence. Matthews is in the mold of Guyton who is fast and his is good getting to the ball, but has work to do in the running game. This is why I am leaning more towards Sintim at 23. I can see him making a smoother transition to ILB because of his size and experience at LB.

I could be that Sintim could fill that role. I still favor Matthews because most ot the draft people that I have read feel that he has a big upside, smart,coachable, team first, and still room to grow physically.

If we can get a pass rush from the inside, it will make the OLB's more effective.

Not saying that Sintim isn't all those things but I have not read that he has that upside.

BTW I also like Brinkley in the 3rd round, who may be better that his 2008 season may indicate because he was coming back from an ACL.

Last edited:
The Patriots draft picks are:

PATRIOTS 23 34 47 58 89 97 124 170 199 207 234

23. Connor Barwin, OLB, Cincinatti
34. Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio St.
47. Eric Wood, C/G, Louisville
58. Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose St.
89. Gerald Cadogan, OT, Penn St.
97. Kevin Ogletree, WR, Virginia
124. Emanuel Cook, S, South Carolina
170. Antonio Appleby, ILB, Virginia
199. Terrance Knighton, DL, Temple
207. Nick Reed, ILB, Oregon
234. Tiquan Underwood, WR, Rutgers

Well, this is as much thought as I've given anything draft related this year, and by the looks of it, I'm going to need some practice squad room/luck.

interesting nugget on Reed, may have been noted:

3/16/2009 - A few weeks back I wrote my annual column on the best players not invited to the NFL combine and focused on Pac 10 sack leader Nick Reed of Oregon. The NFL considers him too small and too short. He measured 6-1, 245 pounds at his pro day and ran a 4.71 40-yard dash. That would have made him the fifth fastest defensive linemen at the combine. Reed reminds me of another undersized pass rusher from the Pac 10. This particular player set the NCAA record for career sacks with 52, but he measured only 6-0, 249 at his combine and ran the 40 in a 4.82. If the draft was all about measurables, this player would not have been selected. But the New England Patriots took defensive end Tedy Bruschi anyway in the third round of the 1996 draft. He wound up becoming a Pro Bowl inside linebacker with three Super Bowl rings. If you can play the NFL will find you and find a position for you. Keep an eye on Nick Reed. He can play. - Rick Gosselin, The Dallas Morning News

I could be that Sintim could fill that role. I still favor Matthews because most ot the draft people that I have read feel that he has a big upside, smart,coachable, team first, and still room to grow physically.

If we can get a pass rush from the inside, it will make the OLB's more effective.

Not saying that Sintim isn't all those things but I have not read that he has that upside.

BTW I also like Brinkley in the 3rd round, who may be better that his 2008 season may indicate because he was coming back from an ACL.
If we can get a pass rush inside - Matthews is an edge rusher who relies on his speed to get around the blockers.
Lacks the bulk to remain at defensive end. Prefers to run around blocks rather than take them on. While he improved as the year went on, remains a work in progress in disengaging from blocks.
That does not read like a kid geared to fighting through trash to get pressure on the QB.

Last edited:
I don't think it important to find a player that looks and plays like Bruschi. As of last year, we started to replace ALL the inside linebackers. The question is who will best fit in with Mayo and Guyton within our schemes to form the ILB corp of the future.

I do believe that Belichick would be abble to work with Laurinitis, Maualuga, Matthews or Sintim to form a fine corp. I also believe that he could work with Jason Williams and/or Brinkley. I'm sure there are others, but the bottom line is that we are NOT replacing Bruschi. We are building a set of inside linebackers.

Wow. I have just scanned all the responses and I would be thrilled with the vast majority of the drafts. That is a really exciting position to be in.

Now watch BB somehow come up with a draft that makes me cry in my soup. :)

If we can get a pass rush inside - Matthews is an edge rusher who relies on his speed to get around the blockers. That does not read like a kid geared to fighting through trash to get pressure on the QB.

You must learn to think outside the Box.:cool: As with some other highly regarded players, you don't take them for the position that played in college but for what you see them to be as a pro, based on many factors.

I am totally convinced based on what I have seen and read about this player, that BB will mold him into a Pro-Bowl type ILB. If not, he will be a good OLB.

You must learn to think outside the Box.:cool: As with some other highly regarded players, you don't take them for the position that played in college but for what you see them to be as a pro, based on many factors.

I am totally convinced based on what I have seen and read about this player, that BB will mold him into a Pro-Bowl type ILB. If not, he will be a good OLB.
I know you're convinced. If the sole criteria was talent and aptitude to learn then I could agree, but just as in the Maualuga discussion in another thread, the physical tools need to be there and I'm not sold that Matthews "physically" is a fit inside, let alone all the retraining he would have to do to play effectively inside. If you said he could be an excellent 4-3 WLB or SLB - we're golden. If you said he'd work out well in San Diego at ILB, I'd say yes. Since you are saying he'd work well as a NE ILB, I'm looking at you with that sad/concerned expression we reserve for dealing with harmless people suffering from mental illness or brain injury who must be protected from their efforts to stuff alphabet blocks up their nose. :itsok:

Last edited:
I know you're convinced. If the sole criteria was talent and aptitude to learn then I could agree, but just as in the Maualuga discussion in another thread, the physical tools need to be there and I'm not sold that Matthews "physically" is a fit inside, let alone all the retraining he would have to do to play effectively inside. If you said he could be an excellent 4-3 WLB or SLB - we're golden. If you said he'd work out well in San Diego at ILB, I'd say yes. Since you are saying he'd work well as a NE ILB, I'm looking at you with that sad/concerned expression we reserve for dealing with harmless people suffering from mental illness or brain injury who must be protected from their efforts to stuff alphabet blocks up their nose. :itsok:

There is nothing wrong with stuffing a block up your nose every so often. It helps keep the sinuses clear.

As I mentioned in another thread, maybe in another forum or in another world, if he is on the board when the Patriots pick is up and BB pulls the trigger, then you will know I am right. And if that trigger is pulled, I don't think it will be for OLB.

You know that I'm not the type of person who will come back and say, "I told you so".

Anyway, this is not a Clay Matthews thread. Have your made your picks (as if we don't know who they are)?

There is nothing wrong with stuffing a block up your nose every so often. It helps keep the sinuses clear.

As I mentioned in another thread, maybe in another forum or in another world, if he is on the board when the Patriots pick is up and BB pulls the trigger, then you will know I am right. And if that trigger is pulled, I don't think it will be for OLB.

You know that I'm not the type of person who will come back and say, "I told you so".

Anyway, this is not a Clay Matthews thread. Have your made your picks (as if we don't know who they are)?
I'm still abusing Maualuga and I've promised to abuse hooligan's mock, I'll get around to listing the same list of perfect choices for NE in due time.

Here is my throw at the dart board:

23 - Rey Maualuga ILB USC ... a player that has had the career he has had at USC, just doesn't lose it in a matter of weeks after the season ends!
34 - Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest ... skilled ball hawk that will see time as Nickel Corner in his rookie year.
43 - TRADE UP #47 & #89 for #43 & #111 - William Beatty OT UConn ... I don't expect he will last this long. He has great potential and has the quickness to be a OLT in the NFL.
58 - TRADE DOWN with #170 for #65 & #104
65 - Lawrence Sidbury LB/DE Richmond - Speed kills (4.5) and pass rushing skills.
89 - TRADED
97 - David Bruton FS Notre Dame ... Another pipeline to Charlie Weiss - concerned about a reported poor Wonderlic score
104 - TJ Lang OL E. Michigan ... Mauler that has strength and size to play inside, good pass protector. Will need a year on the PS under Dante S.
111 - Sammie Lee Hill DT Stillman College ... Patriots have worked him out according to Gil Brandt. Ty Warren surgeries and the three DL that are playing in their contract years requires the Pats to take a DT.
124 - Johnny Knox WR Abeliene Christian ...Speed Kills (4.29) had a great Jr College career at Tyler (TX) JC, then 121 rcpt, 2200 yds 30 TD at Abeliene. East/West Shrine game star
170 - TRADED
189 - Ian Johnson RB Boise St. ... I expect him to go as high as 3rd round. Strong (26 reps @125# - more than alot of OL) at nearly 6' 212#. Ran 4.41. Could be that replacement for Faulk.
207 - TRADED
234 - Robert Francois ILB Boston College - Ran 4.58 - would contribute on ST right away. Filled in at OLB after Brian Toal's injuries in 2007 & 2008.

23. Evander Hood DE/DT Missouri
34. Aaron Maybin OLB Penn State
47. Louis Delmas S Western Michigan
58. Jarron Gilbert DE/DT San Jose State
89. Gerald Cadogan OT Penn State
97. Jason Williams ILB Western Illinois
124. Sammie Lee Hill DT Stillman
170 Roger Allen OG Missouri Western State
199. Joe Burnett CB UCF
207 Devin Moore RB Wyoming
234. Jamarko Simmons WR Western Michigan

Definitely too many DL and too many small school guys.

23 The prospect who may not be named. OLB/TE
34 Eric Wood OL
47 Jarron Gilbert DE
58 Chip Vaughn S
89 Jason Williams LB
97 T. J. Lang OL
124 Jason Phillips
170 Ian Johnson
199 Terrence Knighton
207 Brooks Foster
234 Stephen Hodge

Status