PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats try out RB Kevan Barlow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barlow will be fine its 75% Oline and 25% RB. Any journeyman can get 3.5 behind our line this year, especially with how teams have to consider our passing game.

Last edited:
Kevan Barlow is not coming

I think they are just updating the file since they are down a back for a few weeks (in case something else happens). They are fine with what they have.

Are you even old enough to know who Marion Butts was? Comparing Barlow to him is just stupid..

I think the Butts New England career is an apt comparison. Parcells had a hard-on for Butts for about five years, and got him when he was washed up. Remember, he then got the mediocre Leroy Thompson to replace him, and then chose to start Corey Croom in the playoff game vs. Cleveland?

Barlow was a beast coming out of Pitt, and was my favorite RB in that draft, ahead of LT even. Shanahan called him the best RB in the draft. He was phenomenal for San Francisco early in his career, but he has nothing left. Lost his job to Gore (nothing to be embarrassed about). Went to the Jets, where he lost his job to Cedric Houston. Went to the Steelers, where he couldn't make the team out of training camp.

Honestly, I'd rather see what Jonathan Wells is up to if the price on Toefield is too high.

Heath Evans has no nose for the endzone. Some backs are good at finding a way to pound it in there even when the blocking could have been better. Evans simply isn't one of those backs.

I like Evans a lot, but I don't like him in that role.

Of all the RBs mentioned, I'd rather have Stephen Davis than any of them.

That said, if the coaches think Barlow could help us, I can drink the koolaid for a while. They've been wrong before (ie. "Funny Man" Steve Martin), but they are right a whole lot more than they are wrong.

Barlow will be fine its 75% Oline and 25% RB. Any journeyman can get 3.5 behind our line this year, especially with how teams have to consider our passing game.

If that's true, why can't we just stick with Faulk, Evans, and Eckel?

I don't think we have the best blocking Oline and we won't get a lot of yards without a decent RB. Anyone less talented than faulk (in regards to running the ball) isn't going to help us.

I have no idea if that eliminates Barlow or not from the list of backs that can help us.

Are you even old enough to know who Marion Butts was? Comparing Barlow to him is just stupid..

C'mon DB, gimme a little credit.

I KNOW Butts was more of a one trick pony, but my comparison had more to do with having too many carries under their belts rather than their skill sets.

OK OK Everybody take a deep breath. Has there been ANY report as to Morris' condition? If not, we all need to wait and see. BB is FAMOUS for building smoke screens. Dont you think that right now some schmoe from the Colts organization is scowering old film on Barlow? I think this is all just a ploy and later this afternoon we will come to find that both Morris and Watson are "limited participation in practice" on the injury report. thats just my humble opinion

If Kevan Barlow = Marion Butts, he'd be in here already. Don't deride the Butts. He was awesome.

Awesome?

That is overstating it a bit. He had one 1000 yard year.

He was a good back. That's about it.

Last edited:
A whole lot of scrubs, if nothing it else I found this page on Wikipedia that lists all the NFL rosters including Practice Squads. Pretty sweet, in the past I had to jump from page to page to page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_team_rosters

NFL Free Agents (not up to date but some names to look at)
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?p...ttp://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?positionId=9

Thanks for the Wikipedia list, John. Great find. And it shows Chambers and Bennett with SD and Tampa, respectively. My Dell PC w/ Pendium and Comcast modem is frustratingly slow sometimes. (It couldn't have anything to do with the Adult websites I've visited, could it?) Besides, I like my lists - rosters, draft results, etc. - all on one page. That's why I still buy the newspapers whenever I'm in MA.

Besides the DraftDaddy list of FAs already mentioned, the KFFL list is fairly up-to-date, but not always up-to-the-minute.
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?y=2007

Similar to the ESPN list you mentioned, this list of FAs from Scout.com (who provides draft info for SI.com) is more accurate during the off-season than in-season.
http://nflexperts.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=83&yr=2007

Depending on Morris' and Maroney's health, I might consider releasing Eckel and re-signing him to the PS, if he clears. I would then sign either Ciatrick Fason or Verron Haynes; I think Kevan Barlow's tank is empty.

(It couldn't have anything to do with the Adult websites I've visited, could it?)

I can neither confirm or deny that said behavior will slow down your computer...

Thank you for the links.

I've tried to find out myself and I've asked on here a few times to no avail, so...

What is Cedric Cobbs up to? What do you think of him? I personally liked what I saw of him, what little that was. Also: Antonio Pittman. He was hurt and cut by NO. What's his status?

Also: Can someone briefly explain the deal with PS players? Are they available to be plucked by other teams? Or, is it like waivers, where if you send someone there they are vulnerable for a short time but once placed on are still exclusive property? If not, any PS players worth sniffing?

Last edited:
No sweat. Here's the link to the DraftDaddy list; I thought it was in this thread, but I couldn't find it.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/prospects/streetfreeagent.cfm

Here's the RB list:

Running Back:

Adimchinobe Echemandu [Signed to Houston's Practice Squad Week 6]

Rich Alexis

Kevan Barlow

Dee Brown

Cedric Cobbs

Aveion Cason [Re-signed by Detroit Week 5]

Corey Dillon [Retired?]

DeDe Dorsey [Signed by Cincinnati Week 4]

Ciatrick Fason

Tony Fisher

Veron Haynes

Cedric Houston [Retired?]

Wali Lundy

Reho Mahe [Signed by Philadelphia Week 2]

Josh Scobey

Eric Shelton

Marquis Weeks

Domanick Williams

Shaud Williams

The only one interesting to me is Verron Haynes. Of course they are all reaches.

I've tried to find out myself and I've asked on here a few times to no avail, so...

1) What is Cedric Cobbs up to? What do you think of him? I personally liked what I saw of him, what little that was. Also: Antonio Pittman. He was hurt and cut by NO. What's his status?

2) Also: Can someone briefly explain the deal with PS players? Are they available to be plucked by other teams? Or, is it like waivers, where if you send someone there they are vulnerable for a short time but once placed on are still exclusive property? If not, any PS players worth sniffing?

1) Cedric Cobbs is not currently employed by an NFL team. One of the biggest mistakes of the BB/SP era was passing over the universally better-regarded Michael Turner in favor of the RB with "vision you can't teach." Obviously not. Picking Dexter Reid instead of Mewelde Moore, earlier in the same round, was only slightly less inexcusable.
Antonio Pittman was claimed by Saint Louis on September 2nd.

2) IIRC, any player on any practice squad can be signed by any other team to that team's 53-man roster. That player can also choose to remain on his current team's PS.
Darius Walker (Houston), Justise Hairston (Indy), Jason Snelling (Atlanta), Kenneth Darby (Tampa) and Steven Baylark (Arizona) were the names, with which I am familiar, who are currently on PSs, according to the Wikipedia list.

1) Cedric Cobbs is not currently employed by an NFL team. One of the biggest mistakes of the BB/SP era was passing over the universally better-regarded Michael Turner in favor of the RB with "vision you can't teach." Obviously not. Picking Dexter Reid instead of Mewelde Moore, earlier in the same round, was only slightly less inexcusable.
Antonio Pittman was claimed by Saint Louis on September 2nd.

2) IIRC, any player on any practice squad can be signed by any other team to that team's 53-man roster. That player can also choose to remain on his current team's PS.
Darius Walker (Houston), Justise Hairston (Indy), Jason Snelling (Atlanta), Kenneth Darby (Tampa) and Steven Baylark (Arizona) were the names, with which I am familiar, who are currently on PSs, according to the Wikipedia list.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Turner has definately proved his worth, but Cobbs is still interesting to me.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Turner has definately proved his worth, but Cobbs is still interesting to me.

No sweat.

From the very little I saw of Cobbs, most esp. at Cleveland on 12/05/04, he appeared indecisive to the point of fear. Add that to a 40-time of 4.7, meaning that he cannot run outside and away from tacklers, and what you have is a useless player. Don't lose any sleep over him.

1) Cedric Cobbs is not currently employed by an NFL team. One of the biggest mistakes of the BB/SP era was passing over the universally better-regarded Michael Turner in favor of the RB with "vision you can't teach." Obviously not.

And PK Sam was "univerally regarded" as a great pick in the 5th round. Once you get beyond the first 2 (3 in a deep draft) rounds, you really are just guessing on how their game will translate. Coming from a small school made that evaluation even more difficult for Turner.

Even the good teams don't hit that many real gems (Brady, Asante, Jarvis, Koppen are a pretty good haul). The thing that is hard to know is how many players just never got the right opportunity to shine. If the Colts had drafted Brady in the 6th round in 2000, he would be more "Sorgi" than "Montana".

And PK Sam was "univerally regarded" as a great pick in the 5th round. Once you get beyond the first 2 (3 in a deep draft) rounds, you really are just guessing on how their game will translate. Coming from a small school made that evaluation even more difficult for Turner.

Even the good teams don't hit that many real gems (Brady, Asante, Jarvis, Koppen are a pretty good haul). The thing that is hard to know is how many players just never got the right opportunity to shine. If the Colts had drafted Brady in the 6th round in 2000, he would be more "Sorgi" than "Montana".

Sam was maybe the best of a bad lot of WRs at that point of the draft. I remember hoping that DJ Hackett would slip to 164; he was taken by Seattle at 157. By the time the NEP chose, I wanted them to take either SS Rashad Washington, OT/TE Jason Peters, or DE/OLB Isaac Hilton. One WR with maturity issues (BJ) was plenty. Besides, if the FO is willing to receive well-deserved praise whenever one of its draft picks succeed, then it should take some blame whenever a risky, over-drafted pick fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call