PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats try out RB Kevan Barlow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sign one of these players and cut Eckel. If he clears waivers, invite him to our Practice Squad.

Barlow is a player I wanted the Colts to sign. I believe they looked at him this past off season. While true he only averaged 2.8, he had 6 td's last season. IIRC, many on short goal line situations. Just what I think the Colts could use. Plus he is a more physical runner than Addai. I think he's the closest thing out there to our former RB, Dom Rhodes.

Barlow is a player I wanted the Colts to sign. I believe they looked at him this past off season. While true he only averaged 2.8, he had 6 td's last season. IIRC, many on short goal line situations. Just what I think the Colts could use. Plus he is a more physical runner than Addai. I think he's the closest thing out there to our former RB, Dom Rhodes.

Yea, considering the fact that Maroney's coming back (pretty sure he's gonna play this week) someone like Barlow could be a good short term replacement for Morris.

Last edited:
Yea, considering the fact that Maroney's coming back (pretty sure he's gonna play this week) someone like Barlow could be a good short term replacement for Morris.
Exactly. Not the kind of guy that can give you a whole season, but he can sniff the end zone, and probably give you 7-10 carries and a couple catches for 40-50 total yards. Might be able to pick up a crucial third and short, or stuff one in if you need it.

Exactly. Not the kind of guy that can give you a whole season, but he can sniff the end zone, and probably give you 7-10 carries and a couple catches for 40-50 total yards. Might be able to pick up a crucial third and short, or stuff one in if you need it.

Plus, the Patriots O-line is just a little bit better than that 2006 Jets O-line, so I wouldn't be surprised if he put up more than 2.8 ypc.

I expect that we will find a better short yardage back than Evans. IMHO, Evans shouldn't be carrying the ball.

I expect that we will find a better short yardage back than Evans. IMHO, Evans shouldn't be carrying the ball.

Yea, I said this before Heath is a good blocker and I like him at FB, but he should stay just a blocking FB. When he's been given the carry in short yardage situations he just doesn't seem to be running with the power or vision needed. You'd think someone of his size would run with power but he really isn't. Funny thing is I think Eckel has looked better on short yardage carries. He looked good during his first stop in NE too.

Last edited:
i would not put it past belicheck to check him out just for the sake of having other teams look up film on him...really...

hell i woudlnt put it past him, signing barlow....and releasing him b4 the game...

I don't think Barlow is better than Eckel. Barlow hasn't been decent for three years. He averaged 2.8 yards per carry last year.

In case we forgot, when BB wanted to add a RB to the 53 three weeks ago, he signed Eckel, not Barlow.

Yes, he averaged 2.8 YPC last year with a terrible Jets O-line in front of him.

Lets try and have some perspective.

Saying Barlow wouldn't be better with the Pats O-line in front of him is like AquaMORON saying that Welker wouldn't be a good kick returner and punt returner for the Pats because he wasn't a good one with the lousy Dolphins special teams in front of him..

Any thoughts on going after Priest Holmes? apparently he's supposed to practice this week and start playing next weekend, and you know he wants a ring and KC doesn't need him.

A man with a memory! Butts would be starting for us.

If Kevan Barlow = Marion Butts, he'd be in here already. Don't deride the Butts. He was awesome.

2.9 yards a carry with New England....

Yes, on a team that would have won 3 games w/o Coates.
Weren't Timpson and Brisby our top WRs that year?
Good squad.

Barlow has about the same career carries now as Butts did when he came to NE but Barlow has a mysterious career, averaging 4.1, 4.7, 5.1 then with only 471 career carries dropping to 3.4, 3.3, 2.8.

It makes no sense - he was a decent receiver as a RB too, based on # receptions anyway. A true mystery but he would likely do fine spelling Maroney for a month with teams having to play the pass.

Can't say I'm a fan of Kevin "I set the" Barlow. Eckel's probably a better option.

Barlow has about the same career carries now as Butts did when he came to NE but Barlow has a mysterious career, averaging 4.1, 4.7, 5.1 then with only 471 career carries dropping to 3.4, 3.3, 2.8.

It makes no sense - he was a decent receiver as a RB too, based on # receptions anyway. A true mystery but he would likely do fine spelling Maroney for a month with teams having to play the pass.
The 49ers had high hopes for him as the feature back replacement for Garrison Hearst when injuries finally did Hearst in. Barlow had a couple of good years on lousy 49er teams (>1000 yards in 2003), then he started to get hurt a lot, and I believe his willingness to play hurt was questioned, he got a rep for a bad attitude, and Mike Nolan cut him. Maybe Belichick thinks he can turn him around a la Cory Dillon/Randy Moss, not that he was ever anywhere near them in ability. I have no idea what he has left.

Yea, I said this before Heath is a good blocker and I like him at FB, but he should stay just a blocking FB. When he's been given the carry in short yardage situations he just doesn't seem to be running with the power or vision needed. You'd think someone of his size would run with power but he really isn't. Funny thing is I think Eckel has looked better on short yardage carries. He looked good during his first stop in NE too.

Its tough for Evans because there is not another fullback to block for... HIM. Morris Maroney and Eckle profited from Evans' fullback blocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing