PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats take S Brandon Meriweather with Pick 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Brandon Meriweather!!

OK. Because I find his character iffy and his play mediocre. Hows that?

how do u find his play mediocre when you've never seen him play lol? douche bag

WTF? Meriweather probably would have been the second safety taken if he didn't have "character concerns," which on a closer look seem pretty overblown to me.

Meriweather was like the second best safety in the country going in to 2006. The brawl is what really hurt him.

I have the same ESPN news channel as the rest of us. Ahole

congrats. have u ever watched Miami play? Theres a reason i think he was a top safety..because i watched every game. Theres a reason BB took him..because hes a pretty good player and will contribute.

congrats. have u ever watched Miami play? Theres a reason i think he was a top safety..because i watched every game. Theres a reason BB took him..because hes a pretty good player and will contribute.

Bingo. Clips on ESPN are one thing, but it's tough to judge a player without watching him play every down of a game, and seeing how he adjusts to different situations.

So you know him well? Or is everyone who has gotten into a fight once and lawfully discharged a firearm once of "iffy" character???

Some thoughts on why I like this pick.

The colts can win the superbowl with high powered offense and good defensive coaching. So the need for a defensive back will become likely.

Our FS pick might no be the answer for high powered offense. But drafting a FS and teach him, will increase the probability that we step closer to the answer for a high powered offense.

If you look at the rest other 8 picks from 25-32 we dont need. Maybe Anthony spencer that dallas grabed, but we already have Seymour(awesome!) so we have the luxury to pick at FS.

8 picks out of 32 total picks are defensives back, so 1/4 of the NFL teams out there are using there 1st round to stop high powered offense.

In those 8 teams that picked a defensive back, only 2 teams have a what you would consider high power offense. But they cant match us, especially when we have stallworth.

So of all the teams that picked a DB, we came out on top because we have a high powered offense that non of them can match, and we matched them by picking a FS just like they picked a FS in the first round.

Last edited:

So you know him well? Or is everyone who has gotten into a fight once and lawfully discharged a firearm once of "iffy" character???

The brawl involvement shows complete lack of discipline IMO. Kicking someone when hes down is pretty low on my list as far as character goes. I will always give BB et al the benefit of the doubt...but I dont like this pick. My opinion, I think Im entitled to it without being called a douche bag by that clown Remix.

Discharged a firearm. Okay, have no problem with that per se. Just seems to fit into the category of your typical Miami punk to me. More the rule than the exception these days in the NFL, and Goodall will have a close eye on these types.

As for specific play, Im not going to tell you I watched him thoroughly as I find College football pretty lame in general, but I do make a point to catch up with On Demand Draft profiles and here he comes off as "low first round or deep second round pick".

For the position we picked him, I probably would have taken Beason.

The brawl involvement shows complete lack of discipline IMO. Kicking someone when hes down is pretty low on my list as far as character goes. I will always give BB et al the benefit of the doubt...but I dont like this pick. My opinion, I think Im entitled to it without being called a douche bag by that clown Remix.

Discharged a firearm. Okay, have no problem with that per se. Just seems to fit into the category of your typical Miami punk to me. More the rule than the exception these days in the NFL, and Goodall will have a close eye on these types.

As for specific play, Im not going to tell you I watched him thoroughly as I find College football pretty lame in general, but I do make a point to catch up with On Demand Draft profiles and here he comes off as "low first round or deep second round pick".

For the position we picked him, I probably would have taken Beason.

Meriweather stomped on a guy. so did Seymour. How come you've never said anything about Seymour's dicipline? Typical Miami punk..oh yeah we have 1 of those..Wilfork right?

Your evaluation notwithstanding, I think I would take the word of Bill Belichick and knowledgeable football posters.

The fact that you find College Football "lame" tells me a lot about your football acumen.

Some thoughts on why I like this pick.

The colts can win the superbowl with high powered offense and good defensive coaching. So the need for a defensive back will become likely.

Our FS pick might no be the answer for high powered offense. But drafting a FS and teach him, will increase the probability that we step closer to the answer for a high powered offense.

If you look at the rest other 8 picks from 25-32 we dont need. Maybe Anthony spencer that dallas grabed, but we already have Seymour(awesome!) so we have the luxury to pick at FS.

8 picks out of 32 total picks are defensives back, so 1/4 of the NFL teams out there are using there 1st round to stop high powered offense.

In those 8 teams that picked a defensive back, only 2 teams have a what you would consider high power offense. But they cant match us, especially when we have stallworth.

So of all the teams that picked a DB, we came out on top because we have a high powered offense that non of them can match, and we matched them by picking a FS just like they picked a FS in the first round.

These are valid points. I have no doubt we need depth in the DB, but I question whether this guy will be clean. Our S drafting record sorta stinks BTW.

Your evaluation notwithstanding, I think I would take the word of Bill Belichick and knowledgeable football posters.

The fact that you find College Football "lame" tells me a lot about your football acumen.

Nah..I have a life. I use it on Saturdays.

how do u find his play mediocre when you've never seen him play lol? douche bag

The only people who could say his play was mediocre didn't watch him play, period! he held Calvin Johnson to 68 yards receiving, and he's supposed to be this all world can't stop him WR. He still had 91 tackles even though they played him at CB for part of the season. They played him at CB because he was their best cover man in the entire secondary. He's also a very good tackler, and good against the run. Remix we fought for the guy on here, so it feels good to see NE actually take who we wanted. I also like that he went 24th overall. Remember where Ed went?

Last edited:

The kid's already got it figured out. He can pull a gun on the opposing QB and scare the Bleep out of him. :D

really like the pick. I recorded the Senior Bowl and watched it. It was my opinion at the time (before I knew he was a Pat) that he really stuck his nose down on run support. He played CB in the game some. He's got unbelievable range in coverage, and he can deliver some wicked shots on WR coming over the middle. With Wilson in his last year of his contract, and Harrison possibly retiring next year, safety is a concern that is now addressed.

Nah..I have a life. I use it on Saturdays.

I guess your life is so exciting you can't suspend one jaw dropping day a week for 3 months a year?

Cut the crap with the "I have a life" BS. We all have lives, families, kids, etc.

Unless you are being dragged out of the house by Giselle Bundchen every Saturday, give it up.

I'm not wild about this selection from a character standpoint- but BB has a slight advantage on me when it comes to Super Bowl rings so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now

There's no question there will be a number of anti-turd clauses in his contract - though that's somewhat academic if we wasted a 1st round pick

I guess this does show that Myra Kraft is not calling shots in the War Room - and BB does have complete control.

Now for those who want to downplay the mele against Florida International, while I do understand that tempers were high among ALL players, the MULTIPLE stompings on players is downright shameful - and folks here shouldn't minimize it

Start watching at about 50 seconds in looking for #19 in Miami Orange

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVMAnrZmZZA

While I think his stomping on a player when he's down EVEN IF IT IS HIS LEG, is shameful. I do think that he thinks it was pretty shameful as well and proved that by standing up to it like a man and owning up to his mistake. Watch that video and realistically ask yourself with a competitive football player mentality and your team are your boys, how would you've reacted? You can't say for certain that you wouldn't have done something out of character for you and made a mistake as well.

This guy has an attitude on the field. He is the enforcer on that side of the D. He's going to be teamed up with Rodney and all I'm concerned about is I hope those two don't get into a fight on the field with their football natures.

He is a leader, he is an enforcer on D, and he is going to lay it all out on the line. With a little bulk, he is going to be Rodney Jr./Reed Jr. at least he has the potential to be that if he learned form his mistake and doesn't repeat it.

He has some character issues from a fan stand point but then again, we didn't interview him. We didn't send endless hours breaking down his tapes and I am damn sure with Goodell's new "character policy", BB isn't dumb enough to take a chance on someone that is going to violate that policy.

BB has taken players (Dillon) who have done far worse and taken chances on others (Sullivan)who have had character issues. With the leadership in the locker room and the mentality of this team I am confident Meriweather's character issues will be resolved. I like this pick, now take him under your wing Rodney!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News