PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats take S Brandon Meriweather with Pick 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Brandon Meriweather!!

I have discussed the stomping incident plenty of times, so I don't want to get into it too much again, but what I noticed today for the first time is that it didn't even really look like much of a stomp. Kind of a kick, which still is not good, but to me better for some reason. This guy is going to be a stud for us.

Here is what a few people think of Meriweather, note Gil Brant.

Vic Carucci's Analysis
The Patriots needed safety help. Meriweather was the best one left on the board. His most attractive quality from the standpoint of New England's coaching staff is his ability to learn the complexities of the Patriots defense and adjust on the fly. The Patriots obviously are not concerned with the character issues that have come up with him, and they probably shouldn't be. Bill Belichick and his staff have the ability to get so-called problem players to conform to the straight-and-narrow conduct they prefer.

Gil Brandt: He's a player who can help you in pass coverage as a safety or can be a third corner. Everyone's looking for people today who can match up, so that they're not just a safety but can play a third corner, which people are doing a high percentage of the time. I think Meriweather got a little bit of a bad rap because he was involved in a shooting where he had a gun permit and an individual shot his roommate in the buttocks. Other than that, and the incident in the Florida International game, he has been a model citizen. I like this kid a lot, and I think he'll be great for the Patriots.

Pat Kirwan: His football grade said he should have gone higher than this, but his off-the-field questions pushed him to this spot. He's a versatile player. Anytime I see a safety with 20 tackles for a loss and 2 1/2 sacks, I know he's a guy who can blitz. Sets up very well for Bill Belichick's exotic schemes.

I love the pick.

I was bummed that they missed out on Nelson but Meriweather was a good if not great pick. He is very versitle, can play corner or safety. I really like the pick.

I was bummed that they missed out on Nelson but Meriweather was a good if not great pick. He is very versitle, can play corner or safety. I really like the pick.

for some reason i just know that if Nelson was avaible..we wouldnt of taken him

Do all the hand wringers here about Meriweather's "character" issues always smile when they look in the mirrior? Apparently so.

Kids make mistakes. Meriweather made a very bad one when he lost his head in the brawl game. God forbid your child or relative acts similarly - because I'm sure all of you will call them out on the internet and tell them they should hang up their ambitions and probably just take some drugs and disappear.

I heard two different interviews with Meriweather and he sounded just the right tone - no excuses, no boilerplate either. The Miami product gave the impression he understood he needed to grow up and fast, and realize how such poor decisions on his part degraded his team as well as him own reputation.

As for his play - anyone saying he was mediocre must not have watched Meriweather play. This kid is a star in the making, not a just a very good, solid Patriot type plug in, like Warren, Wilfork, Graham, Watson, etc., but a legitimate star, maybe even superstar waiting to be unveiled. I predicted months ago we'd take him and that he would be the number one defense player taken in this draft. There's no reason to believe anything else but that Meriweather will become the next best safety in the league after Ed Reed.

Last edited:

I have discussed the stomping incident plenty of times, so I don't want to get into it too much again, but what I noticed today for the first time is that it didn't even really look like much of a stomp. Kind of a kick, which still is not good, but to me better for some reason. This guy is going to be a stud for us.

"A" stomp? "A" kick?

Not to belabor the point - BB feels Meriweather will behave and obviously he convinced the team he is contrite - but we must be watching different videos.

I count no less than 5 stomps and kicks on a guy who is on the ground - and those are just the ones caught on video.

Here is what a few people think of Meriweather, note Gil Brant.

Vic Carucci's Analysis
The Patriots needed safety help. Meriweather was the best one left on the board. His most attractive quality from the standpoint of New England's coaching staff is his ability to learn the complexities of the Patriots defense and adjust on the fly. The Patriots obviously are not concerned with the character issues that have come up with him, and they probably shouldn't be. Bill Belichick and his staff have the ability to get so-called problem players to conform to the straight-and-narrow conduct they prefer.

Gil Brandt: He's a player who can help you in pass coverage as a safety or can be a third corner. Everyone's looking for people today who can match up, so that they're not just a safety but can play a third corner, which people are doing a high percentage of the time. I think Meriweather got a little bit of a bad rap because he was involved in a shooting where he had a gun permit and an individual shot his roommate in the buttocks. Other than that, and the incident in the Florida International game, he has been a model citizen. I like this kid a lot, and I think he'll be great for the Patriots.

Pat Kirwan: His football grade said he should have gone higher than this, but his off-the-field questions pushed him to this spot. He's a versatile player. Anytime I see a safety with 20 tackles for a loss and 2 1/2 sacks, I know he's a guy who can blitz. Sets up very well for Bill Belichick's exotic schemes.

Very nice to see Kirwan say Meriweather should have gone higher based on talent, and I like that he noticed some of the things I like about him. Honestly, Meriweather is going to be sick in NE's defense.

I jumped out of my chair I was so happy we picked him.

I was sitting down, and I was saying "meriweather" under my breath (When Goodell was coming to the podium), then they actually picked him, and I pumped my fist and said "Yea, baby!" Then I ran to the PC, lol! I really wanted them to pick him..:D

Last edited:

With Griffin gone, Meriweather was my pick at the time - I was still undecided whether I preferred Griffin or Meriweather. I was nervous that we'd hear Greg Olson or David Harris called.

im a big fan of the stomping incident.

FIU really instigated the entire brawl. I wouldve done much worse if I were Meriweather.

If anything, he showed a lot of leadership after the brawl

Well, if you insist on re-hashing an old thread...

That pick sucked then, and it still sucks now.

Stomper wasn't even the best effin Safety available; that would've been Eric Weddle, who also did a fair job vs. Calvin Johnson.

CB Chris Houston and LBs David Harris & Paul Posluzny also would've been better picks.

And in retrospect, RG/T Justin Blalock would've been the best pick of all of them.

And before he's given too much credit for his INT last week, anybody - anybody - should've intercepted that gimme.

The bottom line is: Stomper should not have even been on the Patsies' draft board, because of his disgraceful, inexcusable, gangsta/U of Miami behavior.

If the FO wanted a FS, then it should've drafted Antoine Bethea instead of Jeremy Mincey, Dan Stevenson or LeKevin Smith in the 6th round of the '06 draft.

Sorry for the harshness, but I'm in a really, really bad mood right now.

Stomper wasn't even the best effin Safety available; that would've been Eric Weddle, who also did a fair job vs. Calvin Johnson.

CB Chris Houston and LBs David Harris & Paul Posluzny also would've been better picks.

And in retrospect, RG/T Justin Blalock would've been the best pick of all of them.

And before he's given too much credit for his INT last week, anybody - anybody - should've intercepted that gimme.

The bottom line is: Stomper should not have even been on the Patsies' draft board, because of his disgraceful, inexcusable, gangsta/U of Miami behavior.

If the FO wanted a FS, then it should've drafted Antoine Bethea instead of Jeremy Mincey, Dan Stevenson or LeKevin Smith in the 6th round of the '06 draft.

eat **** and die dude... eat **** and die

That shouldn't excuse stupidity ;)

Bware with 2 picks so far this season.

Making our defense look good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes