PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign safety Brandon McGowan

Status
Not open for further replies.
More the merrier. Anyone suggesting we're "all set" when there is still room for A. Spann on the roster... I dunno...

Anyone of the safeties can be surpassed, including Merriweather. Not saying it's likely - in fact it's unlikely, but why not try to get decent bodies in Foxborough and have them fight it out.

I seem to remember the Pats being all set at CB until one of them got steamrolled in the endzone before Spetember and got cut (yes, I'm talking to you, Fernando).

Yet ironically, Fernando was good enough to make the roster for the best D in the NFL and 2008 Super Bowl champs ...

Last edited:
Yet ironically, Fernando was good enough to make the roster for the best D in the NFL and 2008 Super Bowl champs ...

Touché.

You're right. Can't argue. But... I watched the SB and didn't see a whole lot of Fernando - neither in the game or as the confetti (is this how you spell it ?) fell.

More the merrier. Anyone suggesting we're "all set" when there is still room for A. Spann on the roster... I dunno...

Anyone of the safeties can be surpassed, including Merriweather. Not saying it's likely - in fact it's unlikely, but why not try to get decent bodies in Foxborough and have them fight it out.

Along a similar vein, BB has said that it is his job to create competition at every position where possible in training camp with the goal being fielding the strongest possible team.

Along a similar vein, BB has said that it is his job to create competition at every position where possible in training camp with the goal being fielding the strongest possible team.

My point exactly. Hell, if we can get P. Manning & P. Rivers under the salary cap and bring 'en in so that TFB bashes their brains in during TC... let's do it. Every position fights. Fight, fight fight !

Their was a certain poster who had a problem everytime somebody suggested signing a player after they were cut or released. You want to bring in anybody that can possibly help your team.You can to create competition at the very least, sometimes you get lucky and find a gem.

1/3 or so of players are a dime a dozen. We cut him, that doesn't mean he's not an NFL player, they signed him, that doesn't mean we f*ed up. He's a journeyman, no more no less.

1/3 or so of players are a dime a dozen. We cut him, that doesn't mean he's not an NFL player, they signed him, that doesn't mean we f*ed up. He's a journeyman, no more no less.

The Patriots went with Deltha O'Neal. He'd been a bust for most of his career and had been cut loose by the Bengals.

Yes, they f*ed up.

The Patriots went with Deltha O'Neal. He'd been a bust for most of his career and had been cut loose by the Bengals.

Yes, they f*ed up.
Bryant had been released by the Lions - the same reasoning you've been using for why Bodden is overrated here.

Yes, they f*ed up.

psst...Bryant was only signed in November after the Steelers lost multiple corners to injury. He appeared in all of 2 games with the Steelers and had a total of 3 tackles for the season.

I think this is one of those six-of-one, a steaming-pile-of-the-other situations.

psst...Bryant was only signed in November after the Steelers lost multiple corners to injury. He appeared in all of 2 games with the Steelers and had a total of 3 tackles for the season.

I think this is one of those six-of-one, a steaming-pile-of-the-other situations.

Understood, but this was Deltha O'Neal we're talking about. When you leave yourself that as your only option, you f*ed up.

Understood, but this was Deltha O'Neal we're talking about. When you leave yourself that as your only option, you f*ed up.
They did - but Fernando Bryant is and was a JAG and was irrelevant in the F up.

Bryant had been released by the Lions - the same reasoning you've been using for why Bodden is overrated here.

Where did I say that Bodden is overrated?

People quickly forget that the group gets thinned in TC. Injuries, indiscretions, and whatever else, this is a fragile position. BB is hedging his bets and ensuring he's got depth in the secondary. A strong secondary is where much of the game is determined nowadays, and the AFC East will require a stout secondary to compete. Either way, there's never enough good safeties and CBs. Welcome aboard!

Different thread. The thread about trading/dumping Hobbs being an unnecessary risk.

I don't recall calling him overrated. I do recall saying that we don't know if he's an NFL Quality starter at this time, but that's not the same thing. As a matter of fact, I did point out that it was the Lions who cut him, both as a negative (cut by the worst team in football) and as a possible reason that it might not be a bad thing (the Lions are incompetent, so this could be a mistake on their part).

I don't recall calling him overrated. I do recall saying that we don't know if he's an NFL Quality starter at this time, but that's not the same thing.
I meant that you think "we" are overrating him as a sure quality starter. I worded it badly, that's what I meant by overrated "here"; here being patsfans.com. Personally I would have kept Hobbs but Spring, Bodden, W, W, Butler should be just fine.

I meant that you think "we" are overrating him as a sure quality starter. I worded it badly, that's what I meant by overrated "here"; here being patsfans.com. Personally I would have kept Hobbs but Spring, Bodden, W, W, Butler should be just fine.

Fair enough. I'd say I made the mistake being a part of the "we" last year with Bryant. Once bitten and all that...

Re: Pats sign safety Brandon McGowan (2 Year Deal).

Chances are only a very small portion of the 2 year deal is guaranteed. Probably just enough so its a fair deal for McGowan even if he fails to make the team - but not so much that the Pats wouldn't cut him if someone beats him out.

Ultimately the "two year" aspect is only in the team's interest. With likely none of Year 2 guaranteed, its a no lose scenario for the Pats - if he plays very well he's already under contract. And if he doesn't he's let go with little or no cap consequence.

Not sure if this was posted yet but Reiss reports the contract details today

McGowan's contract - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

The two-year pact includes base salaries of $550,000 in 2009 and $730,000 in 2010. McGowan received a $250,000 signing bonus and can earn an additional $100,000 in workout bonuses.

Seems to me it's really a no lose situation. If he plays poorly he's gone with no real cap consequence - if he's good we keep him into this season and for the additional year at relavitvely cheap money - and if he shows real long term promise I'd think that age 25 they might consider locking him longer term.

Reiss says he considers the contract generous... but my feeling is that it's only generous if McGowan can't play or can't play well... and chances are they know that by the beginning of the season and he wouldn't get the $550,000. It's very much in our favor it he turns out to be a keeper - so IMO it's worth gambing with an extra hundred thousand dollars or two to reap that sort of reward.

Last edited:
OK, I'm going to throw this out there even though I bet someone has already beat me to it:

This means we have two BMs at safety now.

Potty jokes aside ;) if we did have an influx of bodies at Safety (possibly adding Ty Law who at this point I would think would be more productive facing the ball) we should keep in mind that Meriweather was projected as a potential corner and got some reps there his rookie season, didn't he?

IMO one can NEVER have enough depth in the secondary - so if the price is right I'm all for bringing in as many bodies early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back