PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign safety Brandon McGowan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats sign safety Brandon McGowan (2 Year Deal).

Chances are only a very small portion of the 2 year deal is guaranteed. Probably just enough so its a fair deal for McGowan even if he fails to make the team - but not so much that the Pats wouldn't cut him if someone beats him out.

Ultimately the "two year" aspect is only in the team's interest. With likely none of Year 2 guaranteed, its a no lose scenario for the Pats - if he plays very well he's already under contract. And if he doesn't he's let go with little or no cap consequence.

We play a lot of 3 safety formations. You need 4-5 safety`s if we are going to do that

sander,merriweather and chung are the top 3 . so tank and mcgowan will be fightinig for the last spot

satz

Disagree. Whenever BB has a problem he fixes it. Obviously Safety, TE, RB and NT back up were a problem.
DW Toys

I take it that the Patriots had no interest in Mike Brown another Bears free agent safety. McGowan is younger, though. And he's a SS as oppose to a FS which Brown is. I'm reading that Brown's injury prone as well.

Even though Patriots minicamp was abuzz about the selection of safety Patrick Chung in the second round, coach Bill Belichick was still looking for the type of hard-hitting veteran safety he lost last season with the season-ending injury to Rodney Harrison. Belichick's job description impressed McGowan enough that he was willing to agree to a two-year deal.

At the age of 25, McGowan was one of the youngest experienced safeties on the market.

An undrafted free agent from Maine who made the Bears roster in 2005, McGowan started three games as a rookie. His best season was 2007 when he started nine games, had 68 total tackles and intercepted two passes.

An ankle injury forced McGowan to miss most of last season with the Bears.

Source: Safety Brandon McGowan agrees with New England Patriots - ESPN

I take it that the Patriots had no interest in Mike Brown another Bears free agent safety. McGowan is younger, though. And he's a SS as oppose to a FS which Brown is. I'm reading that Brown's injury prone as well.

First thing I thought when I read this is "Wrong Bears Safety." :)

Would much rather have a healthy Mike Brown; the guy is a bonafide playermaker. Unfortunately, he can't stay healthy. :(

I see McGowan as competition for Spann & Vetrone, which is a good thing. Much rather have a guy like McG who has started safety.

The competition in the secondary is going to be interesting...not to mention the cuts also

Last edited:

the likelihood of Rodney Harrison returning becomes that much more of a long shot. :rofl:

It's not over until Rodney says it's over.

First thing I thought when I read this is "Wrong Bears Safety." :)

Would much rather have a healthy Mike Brown; the guy is a bonafide playermaker. Unfortunately, he can't stay healthy. :(

I see McGowan as competition for Spann & Vetrone, which is a good thing. Much rather have a guy like McG who has started safety.

I think we may be pleasantly surprised on this one.

How can this be bad?

We now have five safeties signed for 2010: Meriweather, Sanders, Chung, McGowan and Springs.

We also have Spann and Tank Williams as camp competition, and in case of injury.

I don't know what the bonus was to McGowan, but even $200K would be fine to solidify the safety position.

And yes, as DW points out, the safety position was a weakness going into the offseason, and Belichick has addressed that weakness.

Evidently, the Patriots could've signed them both. I grab Brown too, if me.

Meanwhile, veteran safety Mike Brown remains without a team. It's not by choice at this point. Multiple league sources said Brown plans to continue his playing career and one source said he wants to prove that he's still able to perform at the top of his game. The problem he faces right now is the later it gets, and the more teams that go through minicamps and proceed into their offseason programs, the more difficult it is going to be to find work. Teams want to get players up to speed on their schemes and playbook in the spring so they can hit the field running in training camp.

Some thought Brown would land a job quickly after the draft after teams assessed what was on their roster and where they needed to fill holes with a secondary venture into the free-agent market. That has not happened. Whether or not teams have expressed interest in Brown, we don't know, but he could surely be had for the league minimum at this point. Few players signed in May are going to get much different.

With the draft in rear view mirror, ex-Bear Mike Brown still seeking work - Inside the Bears

Disagree. Whenever BB has a problem he fixes it. Obviously Safety, TE, RB and NT back up were a problem.
DW Toys

Not clear what you mean . are you saying we do not play 3 safety or once harrison loss and tank loss in preseason we were fine!>

I believe that DW is suggesting that we had one starter quality safety and a backup quality safety last year. We went into the off-season with a severe problem. We certainly needed more than one quality safety. We re-signed our backup Sanders. Even after drafting Chung, we still need help as Belichick clearly demonstrated.

Not clear what you mean . are you saying we do not play 3 safety or once harrison loss and tank loss in preseason we were fine!>

Evidently, the Patriots could've signed them both. I grab Brown too, if me.

With the draft in rear view mirror, ex-Bear Mike Brown still seeking work - Inside the Bears

Looking at Brown, one can't help but think Rodney Harrison Pt 2. Very similar arcs. Rodney was 31-year-old above-average safety, coming off an injury and written off as done. We know how that turned out.

Brown same age as Harrison was when he came to NE, is about as accomplished as Rodney was (one Pro Bowl, one All Pro), just has a much more significant injury history.

I'm actually surprised no one has given this guy a chance yet. Unless he really is done ...

Last edited:
Well that means that the Pats are 4 deep at safety now. The defensive backfield is set. And it looks like Rodney will not be attempting a comeback. I'd love to have him as a coach for the Pats though. He's always been a smart signal caller for the defense.

How can this be bad?

We now have five safeties signed for 2010: Meriweather, Sanders, Chung, McGowan and Springs.

We also have Spann and Tank Williams as camp competition, and in case of injury.

I don't know what the bonus was to McGowan, but even $200K would be fine to solidify the safety position.

And yes, as DW points out, the safety position was a weakness going into the offseason, and Belichick has addressed that weakness.

I agree this is a a nice move. McGowan can play SS but he's also versatile enough player to be moved around in the secondary, he's played CB as well in the past although I'm not suggesting he will do that here. He's physical, instinctive and athletic eventough a little undersized. He is a solid special team's player. He is better player the closer to the los he plays and if he can stay healthy we have a solid player. He's got some playmaking abilities as well.

that dude makes tackles.

I didn't even realize he was fa -- wonder why the bears let him go.
I thought he was lovie's guy.

This signing is fine and all, but Brown for the minimum with not much in incentives would be pretty cool.

This signing is fine and all, but Brown for the minimum with not much in incentives would be pretty cool.

Who? They've got to be a dozen Browns in the NFL. That's almost as common a last name as Smith.

they're talking about mike brown.
infamously oft injured safety for the bears.

I believe that DW is suggesting that we had one starter quality safety and a backup quality safety last year. We went into the off-season with a severe problem. We certainly needed more than one quality safety. We re-signed our backup Sanders. Even after drafting Chung, we still need help as Belichick clearly demonstrated.

Correct. Thanks.
DW Toys

More the merrier. Anyone suggesting we're "all set" when there is still room for A. Spann on the roster... I dunno...

Anyone of the safeties can be surpassed, including Merriweather. Not saying it's likely - in fact it's unlikely, but why not try to get decent bodies in Foxborough and have them fight it out.

I seem to remember the Pats being all set at CB until one of them got steamrolled in the endzone before Spetember and got cut (yes, I'm talking to you, Fernando).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back