PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Sign DL Deaderick

Status
Not open for further replies.
The open question is who we are developing at DE. After all, we lost Seymour and Green in the past 12 months. We tried to bring LeKevin Smith back before the draft. We ended up beinging two reasonable veterans, but we could use a developmental DE.

For me, we have a reasonable line for this year with the four W's, Lewis and Brace. I see no need for another defensive lineman. That's six DL's. Only FIVE defensive linemen were in on over 6% of the defensive reps last year; only FOUR were in on over 28% of the defensive reps. No more than six are needed for this year. We have five plus the developmental Brace. That's really enough.

HOWEVER, we could use a position (usually inactive) for another developmental defensive lineman. We already have a developmental NT. We could use a developmental defensive end. For me, Pryor is NOT that player. If I were to carry seven deensive linemen, the sixth would be Deaderick (2010's version of LeKevin Smith).

OK. I was just curious what you may know, not trying to hol you accountable to knowing everything about the guy to back up an innocent comment. Thanks for the feedback.

No problem. Just going by what I saw and what I know of the two systems. Any Tide fans in here are more than welcome to weigh in. They definitely know more about the guy than do.

9 sacks, DROY, billionaire by the age of 30. You heard it here first

But not from me

Your comment:

So, let's just cut to the chase here...

What percentage of 7th round picks make 1.8 million pre-tax dollars or more in their NFL careers?

Also, what percentage of people who start out at $40k remain at $40 k for their lifetimes?

So you're telling me that if given a choice between:

a) being a college grad and getting a chance to make a million after taxes over the first four years of his career and then doing something else after that

and

b) starting with 40k a year and continuing on with the rest of his work career

you would advice someone that choice b is the better avenue to take. Nice. I just hope you are not a financial planner in real life. If you were, I would pity your clients at first then call them foolish if they continue to listen to your rationale.

The open question is who we are developing at DE. After all, we lost Seymour and Green in the past 12 months. We tried to bring LeKevin Smith back before the draft. We ended up beinging two reasonable veterans, but we could use a developmental DE.

For me, we have a reasonable line for this year with the four W's, Lewis and Brace. I see no need for another defensive lineman. That's six DL's. Only FIVE defensive linemen were in on over 6% of the defensive reps last year; only FOUR were in on over 28% of the defensive reps. No more than six are needed for this year. We have five plus the developmental Brace. That's really enough.

HOWEVER, we could use a position (usually inactive) for another developmental defensive lineman. We already have a developmental NT. We could use a developmental defensive end. For me, Pryor is NOT that player. If I were to carry seven deensive linemen, the sixth would be Deaderick (2010's version of LeKevin Smith).

Our future DE is likely a draft pick. Of course, if they can find a starter from the bottom of the draft, that's gravy, but i doubt they are counting on it.

They'll plug the hole and a tall backup will have an advantage over a short one, but they aren't "developing" a starter or backup at DE as they are at NT. There's three starters and backups, with the DE on one side likely a rotation for now.

We had so many problems with the defensive line breaking down late last year that I believe we NEED 7 DL, and should be rotating them even more than we did last year. We simply have too much talent to lock in on 6 roster spots just because that's what we normally do; the Texans and Ravens games last year proved how important depth on the Dline is.

We have Damione Lewis, Gerard Warren, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Mike Wright, Ron Brace, Myron Pryor, Weston and Deaderick on the team this year, if I'm not forgetting anyone. That is quite a bit of talent on the DLine and I believe all of these guys can contribute in one way or another, especially the veterans Lewis and G. Warren.

Can't believe you think they're going to just cut Pryor after he showed he can clearly help the defense as a one-gapper or even more if he develops and is such a young player. He is not eligible for the practice squad and neither is Brace, who probably wouldn't make it that far as a 2nd rounder anyway. Pryor, I think, is a lock, and Brace likely is as well.

So we would have Gerard Warren, Vince Wilfork, and Ty Warren as starters. Then Wright, Pryor, and and Lewis are your top backups. Brace is the development prospect/backup NT and can also help as a run-stopping end and on the goal line.

I could see Pryor and Lewis on the field at the same time on third and long, with Cunningham/Burgess and TBC as ends. That's a decent pass-rushing package. Better than last year, at least, and a good reason for Pryor to make the team.

We had so many problems with the defensive line breaking down late last year that I believe we NEED 7 DL, and should be rotating them even more than we did last year. We simply have too much talent to lock in on 6 roster spots just because that's what we normally do; the Texans and Ravens games last year proved how important depth on the Dline is.

We have Damione Lewis, Gerard Warren, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Mike Wright, Ron Brace, Myron Pryor, Weston and Deaderick on the team this year, if I'm not forgetting anyone. That is quite a bit of talent on the DLine and I believe all of these guys can contribute in one way or another, especially the veterans Lewis and G. Warren.

Can't believe you think they're going to just cut Pryor after he showed he can clearly help the defense as a one-gapper or even more if he develops and is such a young player. He is not eligible for the practice squad and neither is Brace, who probably wouldn't make it that far as a 2nd rounder anyway. Pryor, I think, is a lock, and Brace likely is as well.

So we would have Gerard Warren, Vince Wilfork, and Ty Warren as starters. Then Wright, Pryor, and and Lewis are your top backups. Brace is the development prospect/backup NT and can also help as a run-stopping end and on the goal line.

I could see Pryor and Lewis on the field at the same time on third and long, with Cunningham/Burgess and TBC as ends. That's a decent pass-rushing package. Better than last year, at least, and a good reason for Pryor to make the team.

I agree that Pryor is a player, though better suited to 4-3. BB doesn't cut players in favor of non players that happen to be the right size. There are practice squad spots for low round/ FA players they want to give a good look.players.

I think we're safe with any eligible DL pick on the practice squad.

Last edited:
sorta like Greg Spires??

You can choose to believe that there are enough reps for more than five healthy linemen. That is your choice. That there never have been enough reps shouldn't concern you. The four W's and Lewis are more than enough to get almost all the defensive reps. Brace could get some reps, especially if Wilfork is injured.

You just aren't facing the issue. We replaced Green and Pryor with Warren and Lewis.

If you would like to suggest that Lewis and Warren could be beaten out by Pryor that is a different issue.

You can choose believe that we cannot afford to go in to the season without the tremendous talent of Pryor, Weston and Deaderick. Again that is your choice. As I said, I am fine with one of these, but we need to understand that they will inactive in almost every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News