PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats select ILB Jerod Mayo with 10th overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey man - just wanted to let you know that most people around here don't think Gholston sucks - in fact I would say most reasonable people would say he has a tremendous amount of potential - but we also definitely recognize that he's pretty much a boom-or-bust kind of player - he's either going to be a sack demon or he's going to be lost playing in space and be a wasted pick. That said, I can't say i'm really excited to see him go against nick kaczur for the next few years.

As for the Mayo pick, the general consensus was there was no way in hell the Detroit Lions were going to let him slip past them (pick no. 15) Also, Denver was in the hunt for a LB since they decided to move DJ Williams out of the middle where he didn't look very comfortable (pick 12) I wouldn't be too surprised if we received some calls to trade back, but i think Mayo was the guy Belichick wanted all along and he didn't want to risk losing him - He is notorious for being very picky with who can play linebacker so when one comes along that he likes I don't see why he would risk it with a small trade back.

Yeah I did hear about Denver, they were talking about it on ESPN. But John Clayton said that Denver was deadset on Clady all along. I never heard about Detroit. I was actually hoping that Mayo would fall to the Jets in the second round to take Eric Barton's place on the inside. I knew that most likely wasn't going to happen, but David Harris did slip to us last year.

Yeah, the sudden Gholston bashing is ridiculous. Two days ago, if the guy's name was brought up in connection with the Pats, most of us were drooling. Now that the Jets have drafted him, many of those same people are now bashing him and saying he will be a bust. The only complaint I have against him is that he can be a quitter sometimes and I hate that. Other than that aspect, the guy has all the tools necessary to make it big in the league.

Hopefully he blows his knee out. :rocker:

Yeah I did hear about Denver, they were talking about it on ESPN. But John Clayton said that Denver was deadset on Clady all along. I never heard about Detroit. I was actually hoping that Mayo would fall to the Jets in the second round to take Eric Barton's place on the inside. I knew that most likely wasn't going to happen, but David Harris did slip to us last year.

Yeah apparently detroit was in love with mayo, probably why they traded back when we took him.

Just a quick question - how do you feel about Victor Hobson - any analysis you could give us on him?

Yeah apparently detroit was in love with mayo, probably why they traded back when we took him.

Just a quick question - how do you feel about Victor Hobson - any analysis you could give us on him?

Most Jet fans tend to think he sucks but this guy seems to have a good brain between his ears so I will listen.

No Hobson definitely doesn't suck. Hobson can rush the passer, and is solid against the run. Overall, I would say he is not fantastic but he is a solid outside linebacker. The liability with Hobson is in pass coverage, on the tight end etc. So you don't want to have him in pass coverage that often, and have to game plan accordingly. But thats what your coaching staff does, I have to admit, is game plan accordingly.

No Hobson definitely doesn't suck. Hobson can rush the passer, and is solid against the run. Overall, I would say he is not fantastic but he is a solid outside linebacker. The liability with Hobson is in pass coverage, on the tight end etc. So you don't want to have him in pass coverage that often, and have to game plan accordingly. But thats what your coaching staff does, I have to admit, is game plan accordingly.

interesting, sounds like he could be a two-down thumper type player which would actually be exactly what we were looking for - thanks for the info.

thanks for the info.

No problem, Me and a friend of mine are actually gonna go up and watch the Jets-New England game in Foxboro. Maybe you can vouch for me, so I don't get my ass kicked by a mob of Pats fans while wearing my Jets Jersey.

No problem, Me and a friend of mine are actually gonna go up and watch the Jets-New England game in Foxboro. Maybe you can vouch for me, so I don't get my ass kicked by a mob of Pats fans while wearing my Jets Jersey.

haha, depending on where you sit, as long as you don't get too rowdy you should be okay

I believe the Jets coaching staff used Hobson slightly incorrectly, and he'll be playing more SILB with the Patriots.

Edit: If you've read my post concerning Gholston, you need to understand that I've been saying similar things about him for months, and wasn't sure about the idea of selecting him at 7th overall, even when a number of other Patriots fans were drooling. So, I'm not changing my stance on him simply because the Jets pulled the trigger. Honestly, he looked awkward in coverage, and has taken some plays off.

Last edited:

As long as you are a cool person you will have no problems. It's the idiot jet fans that get their butts whooped. You might actually enjoy the expierence. Of course, you will get some drunk idiots, but Kraft has pretty much put and end to the "wild west" days of the old stadium. I have had season tickets for almost two decades, and honestly, if you where to appear at Schaffer back in the old days you would have to worry.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who has seen a pattern with the Patriots first round picks recently....

Mankins
Maroney
Meriweather
Mayo

Its all about the M's :)

Good news for Maulauga in '09.

I've got to believe that if Belichick had Rivers rated higher, he would have maneuvered in position to get him...maybe trade back with Cincinnati at #9, and Cincy would have almost certainly drafted Ellis at #7. I'm willing to bet Mayo was his top-rated ILB.

dryheat44;879841 I've got to believe that if Belichick had Rivers rated higher said:
I'm sure Belichick expected N.O. to take Ellis. With Ellis gone, most people expected Rivers to go to Cincy. Once we traded down neither was a surprise pick.

So there's only two conclusions for me :

1) Mayo was rated higher than Rivers by the Patriots.
2) They were rated equally or Rivers slightly higher but it was close enough that they were good with either one.

Ellis to Saints, Rivers to Bengals was predictable enough that the Patriots wouldn't have traded down if losing Rivers was a big deal to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back