Pats rush D the last 2 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobs My Uncle

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Has been spectacular.

On Sunday the Pats limited Willis McGahee to 59 yards rushing on 20 attempts (2.95 YPC average) with a long run of just 8 yards.

The week prior the Pats limited Ronnie Brown to 39 yards rushing on 17 attempts (2.3 YPC average) with a long run of just 7 yards.

Bobs My Uncle said:
Has been spectacular.

On Sunday the Pats limited Willis McGahee to 59 yards rushing on 20 attempts (2.95 YPC average) with a long run of just 8 yards.

The week prior the Pats limited Ronnie Brown to 39 yards rushing on 17 attempts (2.3 YPC average) with a long run of just 7 yards.
They're both averaging 3.8 YPC on the year so we've done significantly better than the league has agaisnt them so far (and our numbers against them are included in the 3.8 so they're around 4.0 against the others).

Bobs My Uncle said:
Has been spectacular.

I think that if this trend continues the next two weeks that we'll have pretty good shots of beating two very good teams.

Anyone else notice that Willis McGahee is a slippery one. I counted 4 or 5 times he was hit in the backfield/LOS and still managed to get 3 yards, falling forward, etc.

I looked quite foolish at the local bar yelling "WRAP HIM UP" over and over again....(it may of been the beer more than the game however...)

Va_Pats_Fan said:
I looked quite foolish at the local bar
I have a special treat for whomever decided to place mirrors behind bars - there are some things I just don't want to see. :rolleyes:

I think some people think we didn't play the run well yesterday b/c of that long scamper by McGahee, but that was on a shovel pass and counted toward passing yards.

lobster said:
A big challenge will be the Vikings running game with LG Hutchinson and 6' 8" LT McKinnie
I bet the Seahawks wish they had Hutchinson now instead of Burleson - they miscalculated that one badly.

It's hard to worry about an opponents' OL the way our DL is - unless Seymour is out - but even if he is, Jarvis is pretty good himself.

BelichickFan said:
I bet the Seahawks wish they had Hutchinson now instead of Burleson - they miscalculated that one badly.

It's hard to worry about an opponents' OL the way our DL is - unless Seymour is out - but even if he is, Jarvis is pretty good himself.

The Seahawks couldn't have kept Hutchinson even if he wanted to. There was a clause in the contract given to him by the Vikes where he had to be the highest paid offensive lineman on the team or it would trigger a sh!tload of money that had to be paid to him. Walter Jones was higher paid than the contract Hutchinson got and the Seahawks could not handle the cap hit which would be triggered by that clause. Their hands were tied.

They didn't not keep Hutchinson so they could get Burleson. It was more of a revenge factor, but it was stupid anyway.

zippo59 said:
The Seahawks couldn't have kept Hutchinson even if he wanted to.
Sure they could have. They could have franchised him. It would have been expensive but they could have done it and then likely worked out a long term deal. People talk about the Patriots messing up The Twig's situation, the Seahawks messed up worse with Hutchinson.

zippo59 said:
The Seahawks couldn't have kept Hutchinson even if he wanted to. There was a clause in the contract given to him by the Vikes where he had to be the highest paid offensive lineman on the team or it would trigger a sh!tload of money that had to be paid to him. Walter Jones was higher paid than the contract Hutchinson got and the Seahawks could not handle the cap hit which would be triggered by that clause. Their hands were tied.

They didn't not keep Hutchinson so they could get Burleson. It was more of a revenge factor, but it was stupid anyway.

This is not accurate. The whole "poison pill" clause issue that Minny and Seattle played could have been easily avoided has Seattle franchise tagged Hutchinson instead of transition tagged.

Oswlek said:
This is not accurate. The whole "poison pill" clause issue that Minny and Seattle played could have been easily avoided has Seattle franchise tagged Hutchinson instead of transition tagged.

Yes they could have franchised him and the whole situation would have been avoided but what I was focusing on was Seattle's options AFTER Hutchinson was transition tagged and the Vikings made an offer, which is very little.

BelichickFan said:

Yes, Jarvis is good, but this may be a good time to use more 4-3 with Wright and Wilfork inside, Jarvis and Warren at DE. Rosey has reportedly been struggling to set the edge, I need to look at the tape to confirm, but I did notice McGahee get around him on the first play - I'm not sure I want to place all the blame on Rosey, Asante and Geno/Rodney should have been up to help extend the lateral movement too.

Either way, it would put heavier players on the edge to force Taylor back inside, we'll have to see. Another option, move Vince to LDE and use Wright on the nose. If Sey's elbow is bad, we may get to see Hill for the first time this season - Hill bashers warm your engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST