PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats release John Lynch; sign 6 incl. Spann to practice squad [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats release John Lynch; sign 6 to practice squad [mergedx2]

So, without him or Spann... where does that leave us at safety? Harrison and Meriweather are the starters if healthy, and we have Sanders who can back up both positions. But after that, who? Slater looked good, but enough to count on if someone goes down? Ventrone seems to be getting more game reps at receiver than safety.

Am I missing anyone? Anyone cut who might be brought in? :shrug:

Re: Reiss: John Lynch released [merged]

That is correct.

any thoughts Pats1. it looks like they have something up their sleeves. seau, law, anyone else?

It sounds like BB is just shuffling the deck a bit for some upcoming moves and Lynch will be back at some point

without the contract being guaranteed for the full year as a vested veteran...

I think Seau is on his way back and Lynch will be wearing a Jets uniform when you see him next.

If I remember correctly, veterans who are on the roster as of a certain date (day before game 1???) have their contracts guaranteed for the year.

This could just be an accounting move.

Last edited:
Wow. Maybe they cut Brady later today? :D

If I remember correctly, veterans who are on the roster as of a certain date (day before game 1) have their contracts guaranteed for the year.

Yup, that was my first thought as well.

Re: Reiss: John Lynch released [merged]

any thoughts Pats1. it looks like they have something up their sleeves. seau, law, anyone else?

I think this may be a case where Lynch is re-signed week 2.

But hopefully we see the Law back in town.

Seau's locker is now occupied by Mayo and Guyton is wearing #59.

If I remember correctly, veterans who are on the roster as of a certain date (day before game 1???) have their contracts guaranteed for the year.

I would think you're right on this and probably Flynn too. Good to see Redd cleared waivers though, thought he looked like he had promise in TC so fingers crossed he develops in to what we hope he'll be. Lots of post 53 man roster moves coming out of left field, on top of some surprising cuts. Wonder what's coming next...

I like the signing of Green-Ellis, Spann and Redd. I thought they'd sign Gutz to the PS as well. Maybe they're discussing it or looking at other QB options out there. He wasn't great, but I thought he showed enough to go on the PS.

I have a feeling that the people who said Lynch was cut as an accounting move and may be back are correct.

This has been an interesting couple of days; I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

That's what I recall too - this way they are protected if they decide to release him later in the season.

At the moment the roster looks like:

52 actually on it, counting Faulk
1 (Lynch) seemingly in the plans to come back soon

There's certainly a plausibility argument to hope for Law, but this is all far from convincing evidence that Law or some other outsider is coming in.

I like the signing of Green-Ellis, Spann and Redd.
Mike Richardson too - I like the Practice Squad and am really happy we got Redd back.

If I were the Pats, I'd sign Mike Dragosavich back to the PS. I'll put my trust in Hanson for now, but I don't want to see him returning to last year's "form."

Mike Richardson too - I like the Practice Squad and am really happy we got Redd back.
Agreed, I also think BJGE is waiting in the wings for any RB injury this year, he's looked promising against 2nd and 3rd string talent, curious to see if he can keep that up against #1s when pressed. Surprised we haven't seen Gutz on the squad definitively, but time will tell.

At the moment the roster looks like:

52 actually on it, counting Faulk
1 (Lynch) seemingly in the plans to come back soon

There's certainly a plausibility argument to hope for Law, but this is all far from convincing evidence that Law or some other outsider is coming in.

so you don't think 2 open roster spots is an indication of another body coming in?

one week from now its 1 open spot but still why leave them empty?

With Lynch being let go I can see a higher potential for Law coming back... rumor has it that Law's ability to cover with his back to the ball isn't as good as it used to be and he might be a bit bigger - i.e. he might be better as a Safety

so you don't think 2 open roster spots is an indication of another body coming in?

one week from now its 1 open spot but still why leave them empty?
Much like Lynch, the working of the Flynn release suggests those 2 spots might be for Lynch and Flynn, but we'll see how it pans out, could also be a Law spot, but I truly don't envision Ty being back this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft