PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats re-sign CB Marquice Cole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats0204

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Christopher Price ‏@cpriceNFL 2m
Patriots announce re-signing of CB Marquice Cole.

PATS re-sign COLE

Hopefully cut by camp. The last thing this team needs is DBs that can't cover. ST only guys WILL see the field at some point.

Another candidate who knows the system and what is expected, who will compete for a slot on this team.

Re: PATS re-sign COLE

Hopefully he's beaten out by a 7th rounder/UDFA gem. He was terrible in the AFCCG.

Color me unexcited, unless you're looking at it from a ST only perspective, which is a solid ST signing.

Cole will contribute about as much to the CB group as Koutivedes will to the LB group.

Hopefully he's beaten out by a 7th rounder/UDFA gem. He was terrible in the AFCCG.

He was covering Anquan Boldin most of the time. Those results should be expected. Boldin is a tough cover in general, but against a primarily ST in Cole? Ouch.

As special teamer and back-up playing the star, he's serviceable. Wasn't half bad during regular season there; obviously he was totally overmatched versus Boldin in AFCCG.

The key is having him on the field only if Arrington is hurt, rather than him being on the field because Arrington moved outside. So in that light, I would still like to have another serviceable backup outside corner so that when Dowling goes down, Arrington isn't the first backup there.

Good special teamer, and a solid and versatile #5CB. But he's also the DB you are looking to upgrade. So nice to have him back, but hope he doesn't make the team, because it would mean our defensive backfield has been upgraded.

Hopefully cut by camp. The last thing this team needs is DBs that can't cover. ST only guys WILL see the field at some point.

He is a good ST player and actually played well in the slot last season. I think for spots 47-53 he is a very good player to have on the team.

TBF to Cole, they're aren't many reserve CBs that can cover Anquan Bolden. Cole is a pretty good STer and slot CB reserve.

Cole is a fine special teams signing. He is one of our very best. This is enough for him to make the team.

Cole is also the #5, emergency CB. He's probably much better than other 5th CB's in the league. After all, he know our system and has experience.

So, we have what I wanted as a start for our defensive backfield, the re-signing of Talib, Arrington, and Cole; and we have an upgrade to Chung. This is the patriot way. We also have Dennard and Dowling for next year.

It is very misleading to say that we haven't improved at corner because the players are the same.

A) Dennard was not a starter until late. He will continue to develop.

B) Talib was here for only a few games.

C) Dowling was on IR.

D) Even Cole was injured for some of the games.

E) We improved our pass coverage by Fletcher coming back and by adding Wilson (as an additional LB on passing downs.

F) Hopefully, we will also see improvement from Tavon, but with Wilson, we are certainly better off than we were with Chung.

G) Finally, we hope that the DL pass-rush will improve. This is likely to happen with Jones playing a full season and the addition of Armstead, and perhaps Pryor. Obviosuly, we are looking to add a pass-rusher. That would be even better.

H) Belichick will bring in his usual cast of JAGs. But unless Dowling is not healthy, what you see is likely to be what you get at corner.

So basically, according to this thread, any CB who can't cover Anquan Boldin isn't worth a roster slot in the NFL.

So all we need is 4 CBs at Talib's level or better and everyone will be happy.

Beside Talib, I die a little inside every time I read that the pats resign one of their own players from last year's secondary.

So basically, according to this thread, any CB who can't cover Anquan Boldin isn't worth a roster slot in the NFL.

That's not a very good way to look at roster-building. Putting aside the offensive woes in that game for a second (and the fact that they should've had the game out of hand in their favor by halftime if they executed) - the Talib injury and the ripple effect it had on the D spelled the end of our season. Are you saying that we shouldn't be concerned with that?

Our #4 CB or our backup slot guy will have to cover great receivers during the course of the season, and unfortunately, maybe even during the playoffs. If he's completely incapable, then that's a problem. The NFL is too pass-happy these days for Cole to be our CB4.

He was covering Anquan Boldin most of the time. Those results should be expected. Boldin is a tough cover in general, but against a primarily ST in Cole? Ouch.

Getting beat for 90+ yards and 2 TDs in only 3 quarters isn't acceptable for any CB.

For all the crap Arrington gets when he is outside, he wasn't even that bad. It was Cole's fault we got shredded the second half.

I agree. There are probably ZERO #4 or #5 corners who can cover Boldin.

TBF to Cole, they're aren't many reserve CBs that can cover Anquan Bolden. Cole is a pretty good STer and slot CB reserve.

I wonder if they paid him $4M a year ? like Arrington. :)

I agree. There are probably ZERO #4 or #5 corners who can cover Boldin.

There's a difference between cant cover and give up two touchdowns in the playoffs can't cover.

I don't care for him. I'm going to ignore his coverage of Boldin because that wasn't fair. He is just too soft for me. I prefer slot corners to be physical like arrington. And if you're gonna be a cover corner you have to be feisty and he is not.

I don't even really like him on special teams either. Almost every time edelman/welker had to call a fair catch it was forced by the guy he was supposed to be blocking. I want all special team guys to be the scrappiest guys around. I will admit he is a good gunner on punt and kickoffs but i still feel that malcolm williams is just as good when it comes strictly to special teams.

I like Cole but wondering what the plans are for a pass rush, RT, and WR. Cap running low to sign all these guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST