PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats/Ravens Expert picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Boldin is better... Hosh is better than Tate.

Now I know you are having a laugh. If you said Mason I might have given it some thought.

They are the better team in every position except Quarterback. It's an easy prediction.

Who cares this isn't Madden, you could say the same about the 1-3 Cowboys too, doesn't change what happens. We match up well with Baltimore.

Now I know you are having a laugh. If you said Mason I might have given it some thought.

Boldin is a deep threat receiver who can work the slot as well. Welker and Boldin also have very similar stat lines for the past three years. Wess could never be an effective down field target due to his height.

Boldin>Welker

Boldin is a deep threat receiver who can work the slot as well. Welker and Boldin also have very similar stat lines for the past three years. Wess could never be an effective down field target due to his height.

Boldin>Welker

Did you read what I quoted? Are you drunk, on drugs? Don't worry about it I'll just take it that you are completely off your rocker.

Did you read what I quoted? Are you drunk, on drugs? Don't worry about it I'll just take it that you are completely off your rocker.

There was no need to bring up Mason because the receivers I mentioned were better than their respective opponent. Mason could be compared to Branch and the Ravens would win that match up as well.

Before we resume the WR debate, a short commercial break regarding the original topic; here's how the staff at Baltimore's newspaper are picking Sunday's game.

Baltimore Sun staff and WJZ's Mark Viviano: Ravens-Patriots picks - baltimoresun.com

Kevin Cowherd: Patriots 24, Ravens 21: Something in my gut says Brady & Co. prevail. Unless that's just indigestion.

Jamison Hensley: Patriots 20, Ravens 16: Patriots are rested after their bye and they're seeking revenge after last season's playoff embarrassment.

Edward Lee: Ravens 30, Patriots 16: Tom Brady is practically invincible at home, but the offense will suffer without a true deep threat, and the Ravens have found a formula in its running game to beating New England.

Ken Murray: Ravens 27, Patriots 25: Last January wasn't a fluke, and the Patriots' defense hasn't improved.

Mike Preston: Ravens 24, New England 20: If the Ravens can establish the run, they should be able to take the ball out of Tom Brady's hands and pull out the victory.

Peter Schmuck: Ravens 23, Patriots 17: Patriots will focus on Ray Rice. Ravens will make them pay downfield.

WJZ's Mark Viviano: Ravens 31, Patriots 20: Just like the playoff game: they're not the Super Bowl Pats anymore.

Now back to a regularly scheduled program ...

I will be stunned if the Ravens put up 30+ points in Foxboro given they've scored 92 points in 5 games for an average of 18.4 points.

I don't understand the fascination with comparing our WR's to there WR's or our TE's to there TE's, it's not like there gonna be lining up against each other. Much better comparisons would be our WR's against there DB's and our O-line vs there Dline etc..

I will be stunned if the Ravens put up 30+ points in Foxboro given they've scored 92 points in 5 games for an average of 18.4 points.

they haven't played our defense yet ;)

I'm actually shocked that this many people are going with the Pats. I would have thought that the Ravens would be an odds-on media favorite in this game.

Joe Flacco sucks balls, and QBs have more of an influence than any RB. Patriots > Ravens.

That is a big statement. I would take our TE's, our WR's over every receiver they have except Boldin. Their O-line is nothing to write home about.

We are younger then them at ILB but I love Mayo and Spikes. Clearly Lewis is great, McClain is solid. I would take Chung over any safety that they will have on the field on Sunday. I would also take McCourtey over any of their CB's. Although I hear Webb has been playing well from the Ravens that have stopped by, but I didn't notice him making any plays in the games that I have watched.

So I think you failed to think that through.

The WRs, I just dont see it...I think we have the advantage at both starting positions, and at #3 reciever.

At ILB, McClain is pretty decent, I'd call him and Spikes a wash. Ray is Ray, and with Suggs and Jarrett Johnson on the outside I think overall we get the nod at LB.

Webb and McCourtey is probably a wash. Both are going to be studs in this league, and too soon to say one is better than the other yet.

I agree completely that Chung is better than either of the safeties we'll be fielding on Sunday.

But honestly, I don't know why we're comparing these respective players to each other; seems to be more reasonable to see how each WR corps stacks up against the opposing secondaries, etc..

I think it would be more relevant to compare the recent history, since both of our teams are drastically different than what they were 3 years ago...
Last two games we played against each other, we scored a combined 54 points, both games in Foxboro... 27 point average for those two games, and we have a much better offense now, at least on paper, so it really shouldn't be a big surprise if we manage to get 30 again.

1. QB: Edge Pats

2. RB: Edge Ravens

3. WR's: Even (Mason may be > Tate, but I want to see how Tate does in the flanker role first, Boldin > Branch, Housh < Welker).

4. TE's: Edge Pats

5. O-Line: Even

6. D-Line: Edge Ravens

7. OLB's: Edge Ravens

8. ILB's: Edge Pats (slim)

9. Safety: Edge Pats (changes with the return of Reed)

10. CB: Edge Ravens

11. Coach: Edge Pats

That's the way I see it right now. On the WR ranking, I might be overly optimistic about Tate, as Mason is solid. But I decided to come down on the positive side. Right now its Pats - 5, Ravens - 4 with two even areas and one that I can definitely see trending toward a Ravens edge.

FWIW, here is what one Colts fan is hoping the result will be...

I hate both teams. I hope for a tie with Ray Lewis hitting Tom Brady on the last play of the game. Brady will be hit so hard that is helmet AND HIS HAIR will be blown off, resulting in an injury that puts him out for the season. Lewis then trips on Brady's long, 1980s redneck hairstyle that is lying on the field, tears his ACL and is also out for the season.

Come on. The Ravens should be favourites going into this game, right now they're a better team than us BY FAR

Offensively im concerned that we wont be able to run the ball - if we cant do we now have confidence in Bill O Brien to make adjustments to move the ball with Brady. Welker, Hernandez and even Branch will have to play big

I think Flacco is good. He was when they played up here last year. And they will pound the RB's at our weak edges (i.e. wherever Vince isnt or Banta Cain is). Give Flacco the time he had last year and he will pick our secondary to pieces

I think the Ravens win but it will be another big learning step for our young defense

Last edited:
Ravens will be favourites and I love that, more bulletin board motivation this week please.

Not really sure why all the debate has been about their receivers either. For me it's all about stopping Rice, and if we can do that effectively I think we win the game well.

Jan we saw a clearly out of synch Brady playing without comfort blanket Wes, this week he's leading the league in QB rating, Wes is firing and is complemented by Hernandez. Loss of Moss will be interesting to see but BB has had a week to game plan. That's still dangerous for any team in my mind.

Pats by at least 6 for me

That's great news! It's called AIF, or the Average Idiot Factor. Overwhelming picks of one team usually mean the other wins. That's what I expect here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes