PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATs Pass O vs JETS Pass D

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Moss and Galloway on the outside, I'd expect a lot of teams to play their safeties a bit deeper. This means Welker, Watson/TE, Faulk time. The question is, do the Patriots put the ball in the end zone with the underneath stuff? The Jets will not back off the deeper safety defensive scheme until it hurts them in the form of Patriot TD's (something that Patriots were not doing against Buff). Maybe I missed something but it sure seemed like the 6 to 7 yard outside pattern was there all day for the Patriots if they wanted it. Likely the CB's are favoring a Moss/Galloway move deep. So with a quick turn to the sideline, the window for 6 yard completion after completion is there. I also thought the TE slant down the middle was open more than just the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter. Needless to say this starts with the OL giving Brady some time.

I agree on all counts. Turning the underneath into TDs will be crucial. I think that the Jets took notice of the open space for TEs and might be enticed to bring a safety up to address the middle, leaving either Moss or Galloway (definitely Galloway) with man-coverage. If Galloway can beat the jam at the line, it should give him some openings to make some plays.

As far as death by screens, are you speaking about them or us? Buff was killing us with the screens easily flipped right over every Patriot pass rusher. The Jets are going to put some points up on us if we are not better prepared for that. BB must have it drilled this into their heads by now.

Them actually. If the Jets had the types of legitmate deep threats that the Bills had, I might think the Pats would have trouble with the screen. But since the Pats won't have to play their safeties so deep, I'm thinking the screen will be less effective for the Jets than it was the Bills. Meanwhile, if the Jets start overpursuing on the blitz, the Pats can make them pay with some screens to Welker and Moss.

This part of the match up to me will start and end with the protection that the O-line gives Brady and how/whether they limit penetration on running plays. Moss and Welker will have a field day with single coverage if Brady has time to find them and if the running game can keep the blitzers honest; it will be a long afternoon if Brady is always checking to Laurence or Taylor in the flat as he gets knocked on his butt.

Last edited:
I think Moss will do way bettre than you predict - I don't think there is a DB in the NFL capable of predictably covering Moss 1 on 1 and holding him to 'a few catches'

The 2007 Week 1 match-up

9 Catches 183 yards 1 TD

Revis played that game too.
That was Revis's first nfl game, no kidding he didnt do too well

Rex Ryan does not want to adjust to the offense's attack. He wants the offense to adjust to what he's doing. But he's going to have to account for all the slip and bubble screens the Pats run and all the short stuff over the middle to Welker. This game is going to come down to the Jets defending the short game. If they can do that they will get to Brady and contain the offense.

This is going to be a big test for Sanchez, trial by fire. The Pats defense is the weakest it's been in 7 years but they are smart and opportunistic and the rook got away with some mistakes last week. It'll be important for the Jets to establish the run and not get behind early.

Big question for the Pats is who is going to cover Dustin Keller? The kid is a matchup nightmare.

I actually have a good feeling about this game. I have absolute faith in BB that he'll have a good gameplan for o and d. If they blitz, dump it off to the screen man. Be sure to burn Rhodes a few times also. We'll show who still rules the East.

Aggressive is the key word for the Jets. They have worked themselves up into a fury. The Pats, on the other hand, will be cool and collected, and will try to take advantage of that aggressiveness.

Some thoughts:

1. I agree the Jets put Revis on Moss 1-on-1. I don't think any CB can totally shut down Moss, but I think Revis contains him. I hope TB doesn't try to force it to Moss, but instead uses his other receivers, as you have mentioned. The Jets can't cover all of them. I think Moss gets something like 6 catches for 80 yards and 1-2 TDs.

I disagree that the Jets are going to be super aggresive in their defensive schemes. In fact, I think the Jets aren't planning on being overly aggressive so much as being overly physical. Rex has probably been preaching complete physical punishment of the Pats all week, but planning give the Pats a lot of blitz looks, then dropping back and hoping TB will make some bad decisions early (ironic b/c most here think that that will be that Pats' gameplan against Sanchez).

And I think Moss can be shut down if he's hearing footsteps everytime the ball is thrown his way. After seeing Buffalo game, I expect the Jets to pull a Patriots vs. Marshall Faulk, hitting him early and often, taking him out of the game and forcing Galloway, Welker and the Pats' running game to beat them.

Unfortunately, the Zebras probably will decide this game by how much mugging and cheap-shotting they let the Jets get away with.

Pats O-Line is solid, but imo it is overrated. It is fairly weak against an all out blitz and TFB is throwing shorter passes as a result. I hate to say it but we are facing a better Defensive Unit when compared to our O-Line.

Love Brady and how he holds up against the blitz will determine the game.

GO PATS !!!!! GO TFB!!!!!

Pats O-Line is solid, but imo it is overrated. It is fairly weak against an all out blitz and TFB is throwing shorter passes as a result. I hate to say it but we are facing a better Defensive Unit when compared to our O-Line

There isn't a single offensive line in the NFL that isn't weak against an all out blitz. The key to handling blitzes is finding an open guy faster than the defensive players get there. its got nothing to do with the offensive line.

Last edited:
How is that possible when Ryan was not coaching the Jets back then? Jets played a far different D than they do now.

Also the Ravens D was and is different than the Jets D back then.

I am just asking for clarification.

According to mangini , during mangini's first yr they had beaten the pats once before in foxboro using variety of coverages and blitzes and did the same in the playoff game and he saw similar plays he could use against the ravens. yes two diff schemes but he saw similarties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft