PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats now betting favorites to land Delvin Cook (Update: Odds "Pretty High" He Signs With Jets)

Yes, we signed Strong and Harris.

THEREFORE, the patriots are all set at RB with our three top RB's:. NOT!

OK, I guess all it takes to be a success at RB for the patriots is to be drafted.

To depend on both Strong and Harris seems incredibly optimistic. We needed a RB. We took a shot on Robinson. NOW, we need a RB again.
==========
TO BE CLEAR
If Stevenson is every down for a game, we would have among the very worst RB's groups among competing teams. That is NOT acceptable.
Sure, but why would a starting caliber RB and the 6th leading rusher in the NFL last year sign with a team with an already capable starter?

And signing Cook would absolutely piss off Rham.

The Pats have had success finding replacements at RB. This should be the least of our concerns.

Sure, but why would a starting caliber RB and the 6th leading rusher in the NFL last year sign with a team with an already capable starter?

And signing Cook would absolutely piss off Rham.

The Pats have had success finding replacements at RB. This should be the least of our concerns.
Lol. Did Rham tell you that?

I wanted him too, but he is 31 (32 is the "cliff age" of WRs - general rule) and not on PEDs anymore. The PED thing has always bothered me because I don't know why Hopkins used them, but I assume the Pats vetted that before making an offer. Overall it would be nice to have a top WR, even if his availability was spotty IMO.

Agree. My belief is he took PEDs because he needed to boost his recovery. As an older player (JE in 2017 and Rodney in 07) I totally get it and quite frankly I think the league should relax the rules.

I have no beef with Hop taking them. It's just the fact hes older and needed to (whether he "needed" them is unknown.)
I love Bourne but there are obvious problems. Maybe he can keep his head on straight but getting married usually is not easy the first few years. We will see, Bourne has a lot of physical talent, but stability issues have always plagued him, not just last year. Kyed is saying Hopkins would have pushed Bourne out which means he is WR #4.
I really like Bourne. Seems like he has some things to work through but he was productive in this offense so we know he can produce. Hopefully he does this year.

it would be just like Bill the GM to splash cash on a running back, a position that is literally close to being phased out $wise and game plan wise. The starting super bowl champion running back was a 7th rounder from Rutgers...that tells you all you need to know. Do not waste $ on running backs, dime a dozen

Zach Elliot enters the picture.

I wanted him too, but he is 31 (32 is the "cliff age" of WRs - general rule) and not on PEDs anymore. The PED thing has always bothered me because I don't know why Hopkins used them, but I assume the Pats vetted that before making an offer. Overall it would be nice to have a top WR, even if his availability was spotty IMO.

I love Bourne but there are obvious problems. Maybe he can keep his head on straight but getting married usually is not easy the first few years. We will see, Bourne has a lot of physical talent, but stability issues have always plagued him, not just last year. Kyed is saying Hopkins would have pushed Bourne out which means he is WR #4.
I don’t see it that way. I think the coaches don’t see receivers in terms of #s as much as they look at skills and talents and role within the offense. So a slot receiver and an outside downfield threat are different and one doesn’t get a higher # on the depth chart than the other because both are necessary. Those depth chart rankings are a fiction invented for analysts and fantasy football drafts. Hopkins would have pushed Bourne out because they are similar and Bourne is most expendable of the alternatives because of his contract situation vis a vis Parker and Juju and TT, not because he is #4 on the non-existent rankings. For example, Bourne will likely get more targets and catches than TT but because TT is on a cheap rookie deal he’s more valuable because of the cap, unless the expected performance difference is large. That’s really what the DHop decision was about, his cost was perhaps too high for his value add so the offer was structured around performance bonuses to ensure the cost and value aligned, and that wasn’t acceptable to him because Titans offered more money that didn‘t have strings attached.

Fournette visting patriots

Bill generally gets a pass from me on anything. Signing Fournette would test my loyalty though. **** no.

This seems to be the crux of the issue. The team will have a lot of info we can't.
If he is in fact toast.. I'd love to have that toast on this offense... he'd be perfect with rham..

What it will take to buy Cook to fill a position of not very much need could be much better spent filling other holes of much greater need, like OL, LB.
I like the idea of cook.. he's still a dynamic back.. but fournette is in Foxboro for a work out.. that would likely seem a more logical signing at this point.. even though fournette isn't the beast he was a few seasons ago he's still a good back.. short yardage and goal line back.. can still run between the tackles.. I still want Kevin Harris and strong to also get run.

On a slightly unrelated topic, why did we not resign Damien Harris. He went for a 1 year 1.77 million contract which is slightly over vet minimum . If I am Stevenson , I would be very wary of taking a large workload because of the way pats treat their running backs after rookie contracts.

Well that bucs team had someone at QB... hint he's retired with 7 rings...

Wasnt there report when fournette was visting patriots last year. Tom texted him saying why are you over there something like that

Wasnt there report when fournette was visting patriots last year. Tom texted him saying why are you over there something like that
I believe Lenny visited in 2020 as well.. I think that's the year your reffence too.. yeah there was a report that Tom texted something like that. I remember ESPN talking about it. Lenny was great for them that season

On a slightly unrelated topic, why did we not resign Damien Harris. He went for a 1 year 1.77 million contract which is slightly over vet minimum . If I am Stevenson , I would be very wary of taking a large workload because of the way pats treat their running backs after rookie contracts.
Spot on!!!!! I've said before on the forum. We must enjoy rham now.. because he's not likely to get a 2nd contract here.. unless it's team friendly.. harris pretty much took peanuts from Buffalo and harris will probably be thier lead back. I can also bet you if rham has another great year wich if healthy he will.. he's that good. Then the team will try to extend him before he gets to FA. Rham is very important to this offense.

Last visit he had a Patriot free lunch and Dinner then signed with the Bucs...moocher!! :mad:
Must've been the same lunch and doggie bag Dhop got..

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back