PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats D still Number 2 in AFC points against

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't bring that game up.
And any use of one game to prove "better" or correlation of statistics is silly.
That game was a failure of the offense by the way.

LMAO. you said the defense in 2009 played better against the Ravens than the 2014 team did.

Something i noticed about this D and the field of teams. In the NFL how many teams can really exploit our D? Seattle did it but that was their best game of the year.

Right now many of the best Os are on the outside looking in or will be filtered out by the NFC playoffs. The only teams we seem likely to face in the playoffs right now with a top offense are Atlanta (#1) Dallas (#3) Oakland (#5) Pitt (#13) ... (Denver is #13 also but they got a lot of defensive points so i won't count them) KC (#16) rounds out the top half of likely opponents. Maybe we have to play Tennessee (#7) but I don't see it.

In fact assume we dodge Oakland and Pitt it is very possible we don't play a top 10 offense in the playoffs at all. Yeah Seattle score on us pretty well but they also only scored 3 offensive points vs Tampa Bay so they can not do that consistently. That was an aberration and a particularly bad day of D from the Pats IMO.

Seattle did it because we did not take advantage of their weak offensive line

I would love to see that list of 12-15 teams with better defenses. Please provide.
What would be really cool would be the reasons.

I keep asking which games the patriot defense played poorly and no one wants to answer other than a clowning answer that games with 17 points allowed or fewer are only average.
Of course they don't want to answer because the defense has played one and a half bad games, one blah (Arizona) and every other one has been good. (In the NFL ESP in 2016 if you allow 17 or less points you played good defense)
But those are facts and results and you can't use the eye test to cry about the 3rd down conversion that ultimately led to a punt 3 plays later.

Funny thing is-theyre actually ranked #3

Ranked #3? What are you smoking?

They are 14th in over all defense and 18th in passing defense.. now thats not even taking into account that the best 3 QB's they have faced are:
Ryan Tannehill
Andy Dalton
Russel Wilson

So I could make a case that their over all defense could be ranked even lower if they actually played some better QB's.

New England Patriots Stats

What would be really cool would be the reasons.

I keep asking which games the patriot defense played poorly and no one wants to answer other than a clowning answer that games with 17 points allowed or fewer are only average.
Of course they don't want to answer because the defense has played one and a half bad games, one blah (Arizona) and every other one has been good. (In the NFL ESP in 2016 if you allow 17 or less points you played good defense)
But those are facts and results and you can't use the eye test to cry about the 3rd down conversion that ultimately led to a punt 3 plays later.

The only good stat they have is points allowed against mediocre teams. They have had a lot of trouble getting off the field all season long.

I thought they played reasonably well against the Jets. But even then Fitzpick6 had a 115 passer rating against us.

I would love to see that list of 12-15 teams with better defenses. Please provide.

Ok its actually hard to do that because you would need to look at every teams schedule. I am basing my rating on who the Pats have played and when they played them. If you look deeper than points allowed you would see we have had a relatively easy schedule this season. Not to many high powered offenses, yet they still have given up alot of passing yards and first downs to mediocre teams.

The only good stat they have is points allowed against mediocre teams. They have had a lot of trouble getting off the field all season long.

I thought they played reasonably well against the Jets. But even then Fitzpick6 had a 115 passer rating against us.

Watch out, god forbid you are a little worried that the lack of a pass rush and trouble getting off the field might hurt the team in the Playoffs

Even ESPN is taking notice now:

i

3. New England Patriots
2016 record: 9-2 | Week 12 ranking: 3
QB Tom Brady is always the talk when it comes to the Patriots, but the defense has once again fallen under the radar. The Patriots have held opponents to fewer than 20 points seven times this season, tied with the Chiefs and Seahawks for most such games. The Rams and their low-powered offense are next for New England.

Watch out, god forbid you are a little worried that the lack of a pass rush and trouble getting off the field might hurt the team in the Playoffs

I am just being realistic, if these homers want to hang their hats on points allowed against crap teams then they can live in la la land. Because any good QB is going to slice through this defense. We get no pressure on the QB which leaves are secondary vulnerable almost every time a QB drops back.

I hope the Defense starts playing better, maybe Chris Long can take some PED's or something and get an extra burst as we head into the tough part of the schedule and into the playoffs. Same goes for Sheard, either that or the offense is gonna have to just outscore everyone.

I am just being realistic, if these homers want to hang their hats on points allowed against crap teams then they can live in la la land. Because any good QB is going to slice through this defense. We get no pressure on the QB which leaves are secondary vulnerable almost every time a QB drops back.

I hope the Defense starts playing better, maybe Chris Long can take some PED's or something and get an extra burst as we head into the tough part of the schedule and into the playoffs. Same goes for Sheard, either that or the offense is gonna have to just outscore everyone.

PPG averages really worked out well against Mark Sanchez, Joe Flacco, and Eli Manning

Even ESPN is taking notice now:

i

3. New England Patriots
2016 record: 9-2 | Week 12 ranking: 3
QB Tom Brady is always the talk when it comes to the Patriots, but the defense has once again fallen under the radar. The Patriots have held opponents to fewer than 20 points seven times this season, tied with the Chiefs and Seahawks for most such games. The Rams and their low-powered offense are next for New England.

Did you actually look at those power rankings. If I am not mistaken the Chiefs just beat the Broncos in Denver and they have the Broncos ranked higher.

Not only that but did you actually watch the video to your link lol...

Did you actually look at those power rankings. If I am not mistaken the Chiefs just beat the Broncos in Denver and they have the Broncos ranked higher.

Not only that but did you actually watch the video to your link lol...
no I didn't watch the video. I was just showing the fact that the Pats D is excellent this season in this year's NFL

No they really haven't. They are average in 3rd down conversions low in takeaways and near the best in points allowed. They are also + in time of possession.
Sure sometimes they have allowed 3rd down conversions that gave the other team 3 more plays but the sum total is they get off the field without allowing points about as good as anyone.

Passer rating is meaningless if you don't score points.

PPG averages really worked out well against Mark Sanchez, Joe Flacco, and Eli Manning
What are you talking about?
The patriots have the about greatest post season run in NFL history under BB.
You are saying because they didn't win every post season game for the last 16 years they suck?

There is a tremendous difference between being concerned about a future opponent and calling good football bad.

So you are telling me that teams that get more pressure at times but that leads them to allow more points are going to do better? Because why?

Evwry offense needs to outscore the other team to win. For our offense that bar has been lower than most other teams in most games thanks to the defense.

First you say you did, then you say you didnt
No I said I didn't bring that game up. I didn't.
If you watched the 2 games there wouldn't be much doubt considering the ravens had numerous possessions inside patriots territory in 2009 because the offense was a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes