PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats D still Number 2 in AFC points against

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say the Pats defense has played poorly.. take Seattle a team that couldn't really score, they come all the way across country against a rested Patriots team and drop 31 on us. And score 5 points against TB lol..

I honestly think one of the best performances from the defense barring the Texans game (The Texans suck huge nuts on Offense, but I still give the Pats credit for shutting them out) I think one of the best defensive performances was the last game against the Jets. The Offense didn't do much until the very end and the Defense caused 2 turn overs.

I would also say the Pats got away with 2 DPI's that could have at the very least turned field position.

The defense gives up a lot of yards, Ryan had a great day against our defense and has pretty much sucked for a while. When they play good teams they will give up points, and not just yards.

The offense also turned the ball over twice in that game which did not help our defense out. It is a complimentary game. Those turnovers force the defense to do more than the offense when it should be, in regards specifically to the Patriots, the other way around.

The 2014 defense played worse against Baltimore in the playoffs than the 2014 defense did.
The 2014 defense played worse against Baltimore in the playoffs than the 2014 defense did.

1. Not sure if you think the 2009 defense is better
2. Even if your statement is a fact, Its not really relevant because
3. Ravens start the game with an 83 yard run.
4. The offense was so bad that day With the combination of the Ravens being so good put us down 24-0
5.A total team collapse. The Ravens attempted 10 passes that day. We gave up 234 yards rushing.
6. To bring up that game really isnt fair. Rice got half of his yards on one play, However the game was practically over after the first quarter, They obviously went ultra conservative

Anyone who thinks the 09 defense was better than the 2014 defense really wasnt watching.

I can make the same argument against the highest scoring offenses for example. Look at denver in 2013. If they had a reliable running game they dont lose 43-8. They possibly win the game. Ill take Dallas offense over that offense any day of the week, even if they dont score as many PPG

I can make the same argument against the highest scoring offenses for example. Look at denver in 2013. If they had a reliable running game they dont lose 43-8. They possibly win the game. Ill take Dallas offense over that offense any day of the week, even if they dont score as many PPG
I'd still take Seattle. Their pass defense was the best in the league in 2013 and no one was even close to them. They had the number 1 rush defense as well. That was a helluva a defense.

Seattle utterly destroyed them.. woulda shoulda coulda when you lose by 40 is kind of silly talk.

In regards to the rest of the league this year, I think the Pats rank somewhere around 12-15 over all defense. Just accept that and prey are offense catches fire and hits on the big plays to Gronk in the play offs.

I'd still take Seattle. Their pass defense was the best in the league in 2013 and no one was even close to them. They had the number 1 rush defense as well. That was a helluva a defense.
Seattle utterly destroyed them.. woulda shoulda coulda when you lose by 40 is kind of silly talk.

In regards to the rest of the league this year, I think the Pats rank somewhere around 12-15 over all defense. Just accept that and prey are offense catches fire and hits on the big plays to Gronk in the play offs.

Not saying Denver would have won. I'm saying the lack of a running game played a huge factor in why they got destroyed, and for that reason I'd rather have Dallas Offense because of the running attack serviceable passing game

Not saying Denver would have won. I'm saying the lack of a running game played a huge factor in why they got destroyed, and for that reason I'd rather have Dallas Offense because of the running attack serviceable passing game
What Denver could have really used was TB12 :)

This defense I know can be frustrating to watch, Ill be the first to admit I curse their lives out on the game day threads lol. But at the end of the day you really cant argue with the PPG they're giving up.

1. Not sure if you think the 2009 defense is better
2. Even if your statement is a fact, Its not really relevant because
3. Ravens start the game with an 83 yard run.
4. The offense was so bad that day With the combination of the Ravens being so good put us down 24-0
5.A total team collapse. The Ravens attempted 10 passes that day. We gave up 234 yards rushing.
6. To bring up that game really isnt fair. Rice got half of his yards on one play, However the game was practically over after the first quarter, They obviously went ultra conservative

I didn't bring that game up.
And any use of one game to prove "better" or correlation of statistics is silly.
That game was a failure of the offense by the way.

Again one game is not a sample that tells you anything.

Something i noticed about this D and the field of teams. In the NFL how many teams can really exploit our D? Seattle did it but that was their best game of the year.

Right now many of the best Os are on the outside looking in or will be filtered out by the NFC playoffs. The only teams we seem likely to face in the playoffs right now with a top offense are Atlanta (#1) Dallas (#3) Oakland (#5) Pitt (#13) ... (Denver is #13 also but they got a lot of defensive points so i won't count them) KC (#16) rounds out the top half of likely opponents. Maybe we have to play Tennessee (#7) but I don't see it.

In fact assume we dodge Oakland and Pitt it is very possible we don't play a top 10 offense in the playoffs at all. Yeah Seattle score on us pretty well but they also only scored 3 offensive points vs Tampa Bay so they can not do that consistently. That was an aberration and a particularly bad day of D from the Pats IMO.

A little off-topic, but I thought this thread may be appropriate for this article:

Bruce Arians slams “selfishness” of some Cardinals players
On Monday, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians suggested that a failure to focus on team goals is part of the reason for their 4-6-1 record on the season. Arians said that he felt that some defensive players got out of their lane and tried to do too much against Atlanta “to get on the stat sheet instead of just doing their job.”

Arians went on to criticize the “selfishness” of some players “that has crept in” over the course of the season and said that it might be time to look to different players in order to get the desired results.

A few observations:

1) No names listed, but I wonder if Chandler Jones is one of them? Curious if anyone's been watching Cardinals film and have noticed if Jones is one of the perpetrators or not.

2) Always interesting to see different tactics used. I've never seen Belichick call out the team like this in public. We'll see if it works for Arians, who just last year was viewed as the coach savant-du-jour

3) Also seems like Belichick isn't the only coach who thinks that "getting on the stat sheet" (which I would typically take as meaning INTs or sacks) isn't as important as doing his job.

While most are frustrated with what we're seeing on defense (even if the debate is between above average and trash, I think all of us had higher expectations than either of those ends coming into this year), remember that the Cardinals were 5th in yards allowed and 7th in points in 2015. They thought Chandler Jones was the missing piece to put them over the top. Now they're 1st in yards allowed but 11th in points allowed, and Ariens is peeved. Seems like no one will be happy unless the team is 1st in yards allowed and 1st in points allowed! :)

I would love to see that list of 12-15 teams with better defenses. Please provide.

I would love to see that list of 12-15 teams with better defenses. Please provide.
If they are ranked 12-15, then he technically only needs to name 11-14 teams, but good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes