PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Claim CB Rashaan Melvin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erfa Patriots control him next season.
Im sure that was important to the team
when claiming him Patriots look at the big picture and the future.

I'm not sure. Fletcher is in his 6th season and has played alot. he is what he is at this point.

Melvin was an undrafted free agent who has played in the NFL only two years and had been injured during parts of them. He was a walk-on player at little Northern Illinois University. This kid's career may still be in an arc. The scouting keeps mentioning how he has excellent football smarts.

Maybe worth it to stash this kid at the back end of the roster and have Brian Flores work with him.

Good points, but I'm not sold on the dude yet. He just seems like a JAG.

Last edited:
This.

And this.

The one thing this team lacks is the guy who can take on big WRs and receiving TEs much as Browner did. If MThis does little more than take on that role, then I think it's a decent signings. Maybe he'll get to take on Fleener.

That is the difference from "adding talent" and "building a Team". BB recognizes a potential weakness, and is willing to employ a partial talent to fill just that void. He has other to take on the quickness of an Edelmen and/or Amendola, even if Rashaan gets barbequed trying to do so. BB just won't use him against those types of players.

Good points, but I'm not sold on the dude. He just seems like a JAG.

You shouldn't be sold on him until he performs in this defense.

Right now his career is going the wrong way but that does not mean his hasn't demonstrated an ability to be productive and do some good things on the football field. Anyone confident that he will here is nuts.

What I do know is that here he will get great coaching and be put in the best possible position for success.

The question is ....will it take?

So he get #24 now Revis old locker is BB trying to tell us something...too much...too much I tell ya!:p:cool:

Lets just hope Tarell Brown dont end up on IR we DONT! ever want to see Logan Ryan Starting!

Poor man's Browner?

Lets just hope Tarell Brown dont end up on IR we DONT! ever want to see Logan Ryan Starting!
Y'know...with the exception of maybe the Giants there isn't a passing attack or an offense that I am really concerned about.

If it's a question of Brown needing rest for the toesies then deactivate him. Not sure they can IR DTR him can they?

Get him 100% for mid-Dec and the playoffs. Thats when we'll really need him.

Better than nothing, I suppose, but what does it say about Brandon Dixon that he was passed-over
for this guy?

And at least free agents Dax Swanson & Fonzie Dennard have system knowledge; the only knowledge
about the Pats offense that Melvin possesses is that he sucks against it.

Bill better be planning to trade for a professional CB before the deadline; otherwise, our SB hopes will
be held hostage by that position (and perhaps by LT as well).

Last edited:
Y'know...with the exception of maybe the Giants there isn't a passing attack or an offense that I am really concerned about.

If it's a question of Brown needing rest for the toesies then deactivate him. Not sure they can IR DTR him can they?

We have used it already that is the IR DTR on Stork I think.

We have used it already that is the IR DTR on Stork I think.

You are right. They can only use one IIRC.

They need to change that rule. Make it more like baseball. 4 game disabled list. 8 game list, etc.

You are right. They can only use one IIRC.

They need to change that rule. Make it more like baseball. 4 game disabled list. 8 game list, etc.

Yep really dumb rule by NFL knowing how guys quickly fall like flies. The IR DTR should atleast be a 4 player option imagine having that Rookie CB back who we put on IR.:mad:

Yep really dumb rule by NFL knowing how guys quickly fall like flies. The IR DTR should atleast be a 4 player option imagine having that Rookie CB back who we put on IR.:mad:
If they want to go to an 18 game schedule or expand the playoffs they have to relax that rule.

It's in the NFLs best interest to have the best players out there playing and developing younger ones.

IMO cutting back on OTAs and TC activities actually hurts the process of getting in condition to play football. Not sure there is s direct correlation to injuries but it doesn't help.

If ****head Goodell spent more time improving the game and less time trying to drain the very last penny out of the world and suspending everyone and their mother he's see the big picture.

He might be ok . Brady & friends make a lot of CB's look bad.

Random thought about our secondary.

The Patriots do have an emergency fallback plan if too many CB's get injured. They could put McCourty at CB and Harmon at FS.

At one time the Patriots were forced to use receiver Troy Brown at the CB position. Who on the receiver roster might be able to fill a similar role on this year's team? Edelman played some CB in 2011.

I sure hope Butler stays healthy.

We could field an all safety secondary if all our CB's were hurt.

Maybe Rashaan Melvin turns out to be a steal, maybe he turns out to be a JAG like Antwain Spann. I'm not super optimistic but at least it won't cost much to see what this kid is made of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes