PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Claim CB Rashaan Melvin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome analysis. Thanks for posting this. I wasn't really too familiar with this CB prior to the signing, so this helps to see the bigger picture regarding his potential.

It's hard to be even an average CB without fluidity, being able to react without jerkiness. A safety like that can still be decent. This kid is tall and fluid, though it's a lower level of competition there.

I guess Fletcher was never going to get it, he was simply clunky.

Last edited:
There you have it he will more than likely be in next seasons plans as well.
A secondary of Butler,Roberts,Melvin,Coleman,Ryan Mccourty, Chung, Harmon, Richards
Is a good foundation to build on, as well as extremely young.

This was not throwing darts at a board here.

They have all kinds of data on this kid.
  • Scouted him in college. Liked him then
  • UFA for Tampa Bay in 2013- Coach: Greg Schiano. Got the G2 on him behind the scenes
  • Aug 2013 Pats/Bucs had a joint practice week. Had a preseason game. He played in that game. Lots more exposure.
  • Had film on him in BAL. Unknown if BB called Ozzie. I tend to doubt it.
Me thinks they know EXACTLY what he can and can't do already.

On the LaFell catch his coverage really wasn't bad. If he turned around and put his hand out he has the INT or at the least bats the ball down.

Didnt jam him at the LoS either.

Last week vs Dallas wasn't as difficult as it could've been.
This Sunday in Indy should be more difficult, the degree of which is debatable.
If the defense can hold the enemy to another 6 points, or even 16 or quite possibility 26,
I'll take it.

On the LaFell catch his coverage really wasn't bad. If he turned around and put his hand out he has the INT or at the least bats the ball down.

Didnt jam him at the LoS either.

That ended up being an incredible one-handed catch, so yeah, hard to defend one-one-one. Tom had this to say about Jo-Jo earlier this year:

Brandon LaFell draws praise from Pats' QB, coach - NFL.com
After LaFell hauled in the game-winning 23-yard touchdown in last week's Divisional Round victory, Brady praised him as a "phenomenal player" and "one of the toughest guys I've ever played with."

What were the other plays Melvin got beat on? The Edelman-to-Amendola TD? The "ineligible eligible receiver" plays?

Alrite boys! Depth is being challenged. It's time for Rashaan "The Dream" Melvin to ball out! Melvin's gonna shutdown WR #2's and ratbirds fans are going to break their computers!

Alrite boys! Depth is being challenged. It's time for Rashaan "The Dream" Melvin to ball out! Melvin's gonna shutdown WR #2's and ratbirds fans are going to break their computers!

#MelvinIsland

What were the other plays Melvin got beat on? The Edelman-to-Amendola TD? The "ineligible eligible receiver" plays?

1st Qtr vs BAL

Spotlight on MelvinIsland.

10:17 Hes covering JE11 in the slot and does a nice job. INC
24:56 Hes on JE11 on the outside INC
26:59 He was forced to pick up Gronk in the seam. Big gain. Looks like he was expecting coverage help on the other side. I'm not sure I blame him for that.
29:10 JE11 on the near side. INC on an overthrow. Decent coverage
29:45 Has LaFell in the slot. Good coverage. Brady runs it in for the TD.

All in all he looks like he belongs out there. I'll watch more later.

Thanks, it could be interesting viewing.

Here we go tradrarama
Jason Mccourty for Jerod Mayo and Danny Admendola.

Alteraun Verner for a 5th round pick.

Championship.

2nd Qtr vs BAL.

Spotlight on MelvinIsland

39:33 LaFell with the catch. Melvin was in zone coverage. Could have anticipated better maybe. He wasn't even close to JoJo.
51:00 Beat by Edelman on a crossing route. Join the club.
52:44: INC to LaFell. Brady was under pressure. Played way off. Might have been in zone.

He was ok. Played a lot of zone that quarter. He tried to tackle Gronk low. He wiffed.

3rd Qtr vs BAL

1:19:20: Catch by Hooman in zone coverage. Prior play he was on Edelman but Brady threw it away. Not clear if his coverage helped make that happen.
1:32:40 Catch by LaFell. Played way off him. Ugh.I'm not sure if hes told to do that but man...
1:34:03 Catch by Gronk...no chance. He did make the tackle. Nice job.
1:38:14 INC to JE in the EZ. Decent coverage. Bad throw by TB

1:38:30 NOTE:Collinsworth speaks glowingly about MelvisIsland. "Hes come in here and done a job tonight. Hes gonna be around for a long long time"....LOL

1:46:52....THE PLAY....He bit on the pass to JE. Should have picked up DA. Oh well.
1:54:40. INC to Gronk. More zone coverage. Bad throw.

2nd Qtr vs BAL.

39:33 LaFell with the catch. Melvin was in zone coverage. Could have anticipated better maybe. He wasn't even close to JoJo.
51:00 Beat by Edelman on a crossing route. Join the club.
52:44: INC to LaFell. Brady was under pressure. Played way off. Might have been in zone.

He was ok. Played a lot of zone that quarter. He tried to tackle Gronk low. He wiffed.

It was Melvin who got boxed out by Lafell near the goal-line on Amendola's first TD.

1st Qtr vs BAL

Spotlight on MelvinIsland.

10:17 Hes covering JE11 in the slot and does a nice job. INC
24:56 Hes on JE11 on the outside INC
26:59 He was forced to pick up Gronk in the seam. Big gain. Looks like he was expecting coverage help on the other side. I'm not sure I blame him for that.
29:10 JE11 on the near side. INC on an overthrow. Decent coverage
29:45 Has LaFell in the slot. Good coverage. Brady runs it in for the TD.

All in all he looks like he belongs out there. I'll watch more later.

Chris Collinsworth is a natural at sounding like the devil.

4thQtr vs BAL

2:09:17 Catch by JoJo for 6 yds. Played way off. Good tackle
2:14:28 Catch by DA. Played off. 1st down on a 3rd and 6. Tried to tackle high. He had him on the stop. Bad fundamentals on that one. Bad play.
2:15:08 Catch by Gronk. He played off him. Tackled high. They are clearly targeting him now.
2:15:55 Catch by JE coming out of motion. He played off in zone. Good tackle.
2:16;50 TD catch by JoJo. Melvin was in man. he beat him but Melvin was in tight coverage. All he needed to do turn around and stick his hand out. Great throw. Great catch. Good for us. Bad for Melvin.

Greatness took over in the 4th Qtr and MelvinIsland had no chance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand