PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Claim CB Rashaan Melvin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ray Clay posted his measurements, but that kid is still surprisingly big. It does seem like the team has been trying all offseason to find a Browner-ish replacement, at least with regard to size. Hopefully he sticks.

If he can stick, and be adequate cover on Mathews or a TE not named Gronk would work okay probably.

Up until the Pats playoff game he was doing very well.

But the Pats still chose to target him and not Webb at that point. So he must not have been doing all that well on tape. Otherwise BB wouldn't have concocted a gameplan built largely on isolating and exposing him.

But this year Ravens posters say he did very well for himself in camp and the preseason, to the extent that he was starting in Week 2 and getting pulled at halftime. Then he got injured and was ineffective when pressed into duty too early.

I think the fact he was able to battle back from that playoff game and all but lockup a starting spot in camp better explains why the Pats took a flyer on him now than anything he put on tape last year.

Real mental toughness is a rare asset in CBs and he seems to have it.

Last edited:
If he can stick, and be adequate cover on Mathews or a TE not named Gronk would work okay probably.
Melvin has a 38" vertical jump. That helps with the tall receivers for sure.

From Raven fans....

watch him turn into a star. Think we dumped him to early. He had 3 or 4 good games then 2 bad ones. I'd have kept him around and just gave him a shot over the next 3 or 4

I do, too. Harbaugh said today that they liked him, but things just weren't happening quick enough, which is a weird statement since he hadn't been here that long. Although it was a very bad run, the guy only has a quarter of football to his name this season after a great offseason. I would've given him a couple more games to see if we just lucked out and got a few good games out of him last year, or if he actually had some ability. Seems odd how quickly we moved on from him after how much we seemed to like him this offseason and preseason. I mean, the guy was out before halftime during preseason games. That's usually a pretty good indication on their feelings of a guy.

Makes sense. He's the prototype Belichick corner.

From Raven fans....
Say what you want about the Ravens but when it comes to evaluating talent they typically know what they are doing.

Just weird to cut this guy loose like that. I can see if he was getting scorched this year but that simply is not the case.

Last edited:
From Raven fans....

That last quote might be a bit sarcastic, or at least uninformed, because I don't see the pattern unless he means "guys who get roasted a lot"...keep in mind they have Arrington now.

Looks like he wants to get some more of Gronk's anus?

rob-gronkowski-rashaan-melvin-82767a4f2e100eb8.jpg

The one missing ingredient that would've made the Buttfumble pure nirvana.

Gotta get depth wherever you can, I wonder what is going on with dennard that keeps the team from even working him out. I'm not saying they should sign him, just curious if it's a physical issue or something else.

ravens secondary is horrendous.
no idea who this jag is/what he can contribute. BB better trade for a decent CB

""On January 10, 2015 against the New England Patriots, Melvin allowed 12 catches on 15 passes thrown his way, giving up 224 yards and two touchdowns, according to Pro Football Focus.""

""On <fill in the date> against the New England Patriots, <fill in DB's name> allowed <fill in a whole lotta catches and yards> thrown his way"".

The guy may suck the big one in coverage but if playing poorly against the Brady passing offense is a disqualifier then we will probably have about 5 CBs in the whole league that are qualified.

Ray Clay posted his measurements, but that kid is still surprisingly big. It does seem like the team has been trying all offseason to find a Browner-ish replacement, at least with regard to size. Hopefully he sticks.

This.
Good as a cover 3 CB.

And this.

The one thing this team lacks is the guy who can take on big WRs and receiving TEs much as Browner did. If MThis does little more than take on that role, then I think it's a decent signings. Maybe he'll get to take on Fleener.

The one thing this team lacks is the guy who can take on big WRs and receiving TEs much as Browner did. If MThis does little more than take on that role, then I think it's a decent signings. Maybe he'll get to take on Fleener.
At 6-1.6 he is a bit taller than our CBs, but he is not big: he gives away >2 inches and 25 pounds to Browner. Melvin is described as "lanky," quicker and faster and not the same type of player. We are overloaded with DBs and Patriots will need a roster spot soon, possibly this week for a tackle or next week for LaFell (then Stork). Melvin went unclaimed by 31 teams so I tend to see him as a PS candidate to fill these spots.

ravens secondary is horrendous.
no idea who this jag is/what he can contribute. BB better trade for a decent CB

Yeah the more I read up on this guy, the more he looks like Bradley Fletcher 2.0

"[Melvin] was inactive for four of the Ravens’ five games. The exception was in Week 3, when the Ravens used Melvin as the third cornerback against the Cincinnati Bengals, and he was beaten for a touchdown pass and committed two penalties. He was benched before halftime."

Last edited:
I can't help it.

That Harbaugh quote about Melvin to the effect of 'We really liked this player, but things weren't happening soon enough' brings me directly to that quote by Warren Buffett:

"The stock market is a device to transfer money from the impatient to the patient"

Last edited:
Yeah the more I read up on this guy, the more he looks like Bradley Fletcher 2.0

"[Melvin] was inactive for four of the Ravens’ five games. The exception was in Week 3, when the Ravens used Melvin as the third cornerback against the Cincinnati Bengals, and he was beaten for a touchdown pass and committed two penalties. He was benched before halftime."

I'm not sure. Fletcher is in his 6th season and has played alot. he is what he is at this point.

Melvin was an undrafted free agent who has played in the NFL only two years and had been injured during parts of them. He was a walk-on player at little Northern Illinois University. This kid's career may still be in an arc. The scouting keeps mentioning how he has excellent football smarts.

Maybe worth it to stash this kid at the back end of the roster and have Brian Flores work with him.

FINALLY a CB with a little size on the roster. A 6'2 he will tower over the meeting room. That being said, the 3 cone # is not great. I like sub 7 flat results for quickness.

So what can we expect. He wasn't good enough to be drafted, this is already his 3 team in 3 years. He's a typical end of the roster/STer journeyman. BUT he's a 6'2 CB, end of the roster/STer journeyman, so as of this moment, I'd rather see him getting practice snaps before another OLman.

Over the next few weeks the Pats are going to be seeing a lot of tall WR's. Maybe this is a stitutional player who can help. Boy wouldn't that be sweet if BB stole a hidden gem from Harbaugh.

Would be sweet
Thats for sure.
Maybe we are trying to conserve draft picks since we lost two high ones.
So we arent rushing out to trade good picks for jag players.
Heres hoping he makes a decent contribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes