PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots' WR & RB draft history

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is that until Rodney or the Sanders brothers re-sign, we need a safety who can start from the jump. Those guys usually can't be filled by Day Two prospects. If Rodney doesn't come back, I think we need to look at safety in the first round if the value is there.

Of course, this, along with every other post I make right now, is subject to change with each free agent signing or extension signed.

Yeah, at this point needs lists are far removed from draft-priority lists because the Patriots are so diligent about filling the gaping holes before draft day. With a starting safety position wide open, I'm fully expecting a significant veteran signing for flexibility. Plug in a Sean Jones (I can dream, can't I?) and it's a whole new ballgame.

But as you say, IF a starting position is still up for grabs in April, a high pick is very likely. BB has been very aggressive in those situations -- e.g. the "overdrafting" of Mankins and Gostkowski.

Why not just say that the depth chart is Moss, Welker, Aiken, Washington, Slater, Ventrone, Faulk, Thomas, Hochstein, Mayo, Spann, and Wilfork?

Washington, Slater, and Ventrone took few, if any, snaps at WR this year. Of the three, I remember Slater being thrown one pass, and it was in garbage time. Ventrone isn't even under contract. The reality is we have three, and only three, wide receivers who have caught a pass in an NFL game within the last two years. I believe that is a big need, given we usually have 3 WR on the field. If we re-sign Gaffney, or get a guy like Engram, which I think we will, then I'll come around to your line of thinking that we have adequate depth at the position. But as the roster stands now, I would put WR as our second greatest need, behind safety.

Ventrone is an ERFA. He's not going anywhere.

Faulk does take plenty of snaps lined up at WR, so if you were going by just the check downs, yeah, you can put Faulk in.

See, I don't see WR being a need ahead of the O-line or D-line. And I do expect a veteran signing. Possibly Antonio Bryant since the Pats wanted him the year that they took Bethel. Bryant would make this offense even more lethal than it is. I'd rather have a Bryant than Gaffney, in all honesty.

The difference is that until Rodney or the Sanders brothers re-sign, we need a safety who can start from the jump. Those guys usually can't be filled by Day Two prospects. If Rodney doesn't come back, I think we need to look at safety in the first round if the value is there.

Of course, this, along with every other post I make right now, is subject to change with each free agent signing or extension signed.
I don't see a Safety who can "start from the jump" in this class. Meriweather wasn't "starting" until Rodney went down. Perhaps a Mays or Moore could start and use their athleticism to make up for a lot, but I side with patchick on this one, BB will provide. In that case address the need with 2-3 Day Two prospects starting in Rd 3 with a Green or Vaughn, pick up a Bruton or Underwood a little later, and grab a Hodges as a UDFA. There are a lot of good kids carrying Day Two rankings in this class, neither Mays nor Moore have done anything to make my heart palpitate more than TCU's Hodges who carries a UDFA grade for NFLDS.

Faulk does take plenty of snaps lined up at WR, so if you were going by just the check downs, yeah, you can put Faulk in.

See, I don't see WR being a need ahead of the O-line or D-line. And I do expect a veteran signing. Possibly Antonio Bryant since the Pats wanted him the year that they took Bethel. Bryant would make this offense even more lethal than it is. I'd rather have a Bryant than Gaffney, in all honesty.

Bryant's good - really good, but I expect him to command more money than Belichick's going to pay for his third receiver. He's also been a problem child for most of his NFL career, although I believe he was incident-free this year...but I don't know how he'd take to becoming the third option in the passing game.

For the available role, my preference among FA WRs would be:

1. Engram
2. Moore
3. Gaffney
4. Henderson
5. McDonald

Last edited:

I think you're confusing Bethel with Branch. I specifically remember Bryant getting taken just 2 spots ahead of Deion that year. He was the guy I was hoping they'd pick too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore