Welcome to PatsFans.com

Patriots UK Connection 70s Kicker John Smith to travel with the team

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Former New England Patriots kicker John Smith has British ties - ESPN Boston

Great to see Smith still hanging out with the team after all these years,I really liked the kid back in the 70s and he was a great Patriot for 10 years through thick and thin times.

I think for those of us old enough to remember some of the memorable moments in John Smith's career remember he was the only player to score in the famous Snowplow game against Miami in 1982 and another moment us older guys can remember was when on MNF John was getting in line to kick a FG once again against Miami in 1980 when the news broke out and Howard Cosell told the nation that John Lennon was shot and killed.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. MassPats38

MassPats38 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

He owns and runs an indoor soccer center in Milford, MA. I had the opportunity to speak to him on a few occasions bringing my nephews and niece to practices there. He was very approachable, and it was enjoyable talking to him. He is still very much in the Patriots alumni circle and follows the current Patriots.

As the conversations were generally about recent games, I regrettably never got around to asking him about the snow plow.

3. BennyBledsoe

BennyBledsoe Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +14 / 4 / -4

#11 Jersey

Yeah, he was very quick on the turnaround with an autograph request I sent through his website:)

4. JD10367

JD10367 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

One thing about the Pats, they've always had kicking. Gino Cappelletti, John Smith, Tony Franklin (the ex-Eagle barefoot kicker), Vinatraitor, Ghost... We'll skip over the Scott "Missin" Sisson years...

5. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 3 / -0

Thanks for posting this. Alot of great memories John Smith brings back. One of our best kickers ever, although isn't it ironic that the two best ever may very well be the last two we've had. :)

6. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,347 / 10 / -7

#75 Jersey

The 'Ol Weetabix Spokesman!

I'll always be thankful to Mr. Smith for helping alleviate my homesickness in the fall/winter of 1985 as I was in London for a Junior semester abroad. Britain's Channel Four had a Sunday night show each week hosted by him and some other guy and they did a rehash on what went down the week before in the NFL and played a condensed version of the game of the week. I still can remember the opening sequence of each show having Bonnie Tyler singing "We Need a Hero" and then John coming on and explaining what an "offsides" meant.

7. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +524 / 0 / -3

More on Smith: Former kicker John Smith is now the team's ambassador in his home country by Jim Donaldson of the Providence Journal

I had forgotten that the Pats cut him and had him play with a semi-pro team here for a year so he could learn the game when they first brought him over from England.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.