PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp Day Two Reports (7/27/2013)

For anyone who was there....
Nick Underhill says the D showed a lot of 34 looks.
What was the lineup?
Thanks

In competions that matter we seem to have had these composite evaluations.

Svitek's off season acquisition and Greens recall has released Cannon to compete at RG. Connoly's off season surgery is giving him every opportunity to catch up and win it. The O-line is very good, but Connoly is viewed as the weakest link, while Cannon is young, big, and starter capable.

Adrian Wilson has already locked himself in as the starting SS next to FS McCourty. Safety is no longer a problem and the depth in Gregory, Tavon and maybe Duran is spectacular with players who can play; and also contribute on ST, not just ST mavens. I expect A Wilson to play some "big Nickle" before too long.

Collins may be the coverage OLB that BB has been searching for, for just about forever. That fills the hole across the middle from TEs. His drafting and Fletcher's return seems to have filled the LB corps two deep everywhere. ST Buh bye, but it does open ST positions for Cole, Ebner.

Tebow is a JOKE. Kafka was and is better. Why is the Media wasting time and words on him? He has in two days acquired more commentary than any 3rd string QB does in an entire year.

Why is the Media wasting time and words on him? He has in two days acquired more commentary than any 3rd string QB does in an entire year.

I imagine because his Q rating is off the charts. The Pats are traveling to England again. Tebow is a HUMONGOUS draw over there, as opposed to run of the mill NFL players. Kraft is a major proponent of expansion there and that coupled with his comments the last few days suggest that Tebow will indeed make this year's Patriot roster. His value, it seems, transcends his limited passing skills and the NFL , as much as we see it as sport, IS business.

Tebow makes business sense.

For anyone who was there....
Nick Underhill says the D showed a lot of 34 looks.
What was the lineup?
Thanks

Replying to your post because I want to know too. My guess before training camp for a possible 3-4 lineup was:

Ninkovich-Mayo-Spikes-Hightower
Jones-Wilfork-Kelly

Now, with Collins emerging, I'm thinking Hightower takes over for Spikes and Collins slides in at LOLB.

If the team wants to run more 3-4, though, you have to wonder why the only nose tackles are Wilfork and some undrafted rookies.

Tebow is a HUMONGOUS draw over there

He is? :confused:

He might be a known name because the media talks about him but he is in no way a draw, in fact I'd say individual NFL players aren't a draw over here but actual teams are - that's why New England x2, San Fran, Chicago, Pittsburgh have all been sent over, big name teams that are very well supported over here.

Replying to your post because I want to know too. My guess before training camp for a possible 3-4 lineup was:

Jones-Wilfork-Kelly

Now, with Collins emerging, I'm thinking Hightower takes over for Spikes and Collins slides in at LOLB.

If the team wants to run more 3-4, though, you have to wonder why the only nose tackles are Wilfork and some undrafted rookies.

Chandler Jones is NOT a 3-4 DE at all it would be a waste of his talent playing him there, especially at his weight, he would be OLB in a 3-4 akin to Aldon Smith. although Arthur Jones would be a good pickup next season for the 3-4.

He is? :confused:

He might be a known name because the media talks about him but he is in no way a draw, in fact I'd say individual NFL players aren't a draw over here but actual teams are - that's why New England x2, San Fran, Chicago, Pittsburgh have all been sent over, big name teams that are very well supported over here.

Chandler Jones is NOT a 3-4 DE at all it would be a waste of his talent playing him there, especially at his weight, he would be OLB in a 3-4 akin to Aldon Smith. although Arthur Jones would be a good pickup next season for the 3-4.

Jones is putting on weight and has been the DE in the rare 3-4 looks we've seen already (not including this TC, which we don't know the lineup of yet). I think Jones himself might even have said he's bulking up for this role.

Report from Baltimore - James Ihedigbo rears his ugly head

Dennis Pitta - Baltimore Ravens - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Dennis Pitta was carted off the practice field with an unknown injury Saturday.

Pitta was involved in a collision with safety James Ihedigbo, and the severity and exact injury are unknown at this point. We're not going to speculate because this is all the information we have at this point, but it's obviously something to monitor over the course of Saturday afternoon. Stay tuned.

Jul 27 - 4:02 PM

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Jones is putting on weight and has been the DE in the rare 3-4 looks we've seen already (not including this TC, which we don't know the lineup of yet). I think Jones himself might even have said he's bulking up for this role.

To be an effective 3-4 DE he would need to bulk up to around 290 (or more if 2 gapping), that would be a tremendous waste of his talent. He's put on 10lbs and was at 260 last season so he's still right in the range of 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB.

Pretty sure he said he was bulking up just to be stronger too. I can't remember the Pats using 3-4 at all last year in the regular season too never mind playing Jones as a DE in it?

Also on a general 3-4 note - last year they ran some 3-4 looks in TC and people got all giddy on here about the "return" of the 3-4, it's TC and BB will be having a look at everything at this point.

Patriots Training Camp Day Two Reports

Why does Tebow catch so much criticism? Even the regular homers seem to think he is not part of the team.

Report from Baltimore - James Ihedigbo rears his ugly head

Dennis Pitta - Baltimore Ravens - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Dennis Pitta was carted off the practice field with an unknown injury Saturday.

Pitta was involved in a collision with safety James Ihedigbo, and the severity and exact injury are unknown at this point. We're not going to speculate because this is all the information we have at this point, but it's obviously something to monitor over the course of Saturday afternoon. Stay tuned.

Jul 27 - 4:02 PM

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Mike Loyko @NEPD_Loyko
Getting carted off the field is never good. Getting carted off the field with a towel over your head is even more ominous #Pitta

Does this imply off-field conduct of joining the Taliban?

Mike Loyko @NEPD_Loyko
Getting carted off the field is never good. Getting carted off the field with a towel over your head is even more ominous #Pitta

Does this imply off-field conduct of joining the Taliban?

I'll put it this way - the day the Patriots no longer had James Ihedigbo on its roster was a great day for this franchise because that guy was and is atrocious defensively.

And - the day that the Ravens decided to pick him up was a great day for the Patriots.

To be an effective 3-4 DE he would need to bulk up to around 290 (or more if 2 gapping), that would be a tremendous waste of his talent. He's put on 10lbs and was at 260 last season so he's still right in the range of 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB.

Pretty sure he said he was bulking up just to be stronger too. I can't remember the Pats using 3-4 at all last year in the regular season too never mind playing Jones as a DE in it?

Also on a general 3-4 note - last year they ran some 3-4 looks in TC and people got all giddy on here about the "return" of the 3-4, it's TC and BB will be having a look at everything at this point.

I don't think 3-4 DE is a good use of his skillset, as he's too light and would be much better as a pass rusher, but I'm only going off of what we already know as far as who has been played where. By 3-4 last year, they might have actually been sub packages with 3 DL, but I'm pretty sure I saw him as one of three down linemen in a base package at least once.

I don't think a 3-4 is a good idea for this roster, with the lack of depth at DL and ILB, so a 3-4 look will likely have guys with weird size for the position, such as Jones at DE.

I'll put it this way - the day the Patriots no longer had James Ihedigbo on its roster was a great day for this franchise because that guy was and is atrocious defensively.

And - the day that the Ravens decided to pick him up was a great day for the Patriots.

Ravens fans love him, too.

For that you can thank Nate Ebner. :rocker:

Ebner,Slater and Coles. 3 ST gurus.

Will there be room for all 3 on this season's final roster is the question. :(

Jones-Wilfork-Kelly

There is no reason for Wilfork to leave the field in the base. We run it less than half the time, and he should get his breaks in sub because he just isnt much help as a pass rusher

Not in 2013.
Ninkovich played 43 DE last year and that never would have happened in the past. Same with Cunningham at DT in sub.
BB is clearly shifting his focus to understanding a pass rush is more important than great 2gap run D. And he is right to do so, when you consider the amount of passing that is done, the rule changes that favor passing, the fact we often play from ahead, and the reality that if we had prioritized being able to rush the passer in situations where the other team has to throw to beat us, we would have at least 3 more rings.
Yes Jones is undersized and we don't want him playing 2 gap as a 34 DE, but yes that is where he should be playing in our D in 2013.

Yes Jones is undersized and we don't want him playing 2 gap as a 34 DE, but yes that is where he should be playing in our D in 2013.

well, you lost me with this one.

You're saying the Patriots are going to go back to a base 3/4 with Jones as left DE?...source???

well, you lost me with this one.

You're saying the Patriots are going to go back to a base 3/4 with Jones as left DE?...source???

No. I'm saying we wouldn't want him playing 2gap 34 DE in our defense circa 2007, but if we play 34 he should be playing DE and playing 1 gap technique.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back