PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for WR Brandin Cooks (NO BUTLER INVOLVED). Gave up 1st & 3rd rounder for Cooks + 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, 23 years old. He is so far ahead of the learning curve at such a young age. Didnt realize that he was so young.

Thank, now that was profound. ;)

It's not about being profound, Ken. It's about knowing the team needs. ;)

Hey I get the fact that given the increased use of press man coverage there is a premium on receivers who can create separation through size speed or quickness, and Cooks is one of those guys. But I would counter by saying despite all the our current WR's who supposedly can't do that, we somehow managed almost 600 yds against EXACTLY that style of defense.

Yes, if you ignore how much the offense struggled early, you can pretend there were no problems. That's not really news, Ken.

It's not that I don't want more guys who can beat man coverage, its the cost, both short term and long, for a improvement that I wonder we will see. For example I would have rather kept those picks and signed Floyd who is receiver who, while quite different from Cooks, can create separation by raw speed and size.

???
One of Floyd's problems is a struggle to get separation

I thought we played most of the best defenses in the league last season and did pretty well. Didn't we have the 2nd best scoring average in the league just slightly behind a historically great offense.

Yes, so?

Again how much better will it get. Is this addition going to propel Brady to be better than 14-1? Or 6000 yds, 40 points a game. If the latter is true, then maybe I'll agree with you.

Now you're just being ridiculous. The trade should make a legitimate offensive issue less of an issue. For a team in New England's position, that's a good thing.

I'm happy you're happy. It's just that I've never had a problem with "freakin' deep-middle" ;)

Apparently, BB has had a problem with it.

Last edited:
Three bits of comfort to those rueing the loss of a first round pick.

1. Think of this trade as drafting John Ross, a similar WR, in the first round. Sure, there's less cost control but the ultimate outcome is similar.

2. Out of the 53 man roster there are a total of four players we drafted in the first round. First round players aren't necessary to building a winning roster.

3. Further to point two, we waived Dominique Easley, traded Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins (not strictly a first rounder but of that talent) last year and still won the SB.

First rounders are very nice to have but with BB moulding this roster, they aren't essential.

Staying healthy will be the key. Would like to add some linebacker depth after hightower if he resigns. Another pass rusher

Where Brandin Cooks stacks up among NFL's best wide receivers

Three players have recorded 75 receptions, 1,000 receiving yards and eight touchdowns in each of the past two seasons. Cooks is one. The other two are Odell Beckham Jr. and Antonio Brown. Beckham and Brown made the Pro Bowl in both seasons.

Cooks has increased his average yards per reception from 10.4 to 13.5 to 15.0 in his three seasons. The latter ranked 14th in the NFL last season. One Patriots player ranked higher -- Chris Hogan (17.9).​

Three bits of comfort to those rueing the loss of a first round pick.

1. Think of this trade as drafting John Ross, a similar WR, in the first round. Sure, there's less cost control but the ultimate outcome is similar.

2. Out of the 53 man roster there are a total of four players we drafted in the first round. First round players aren't necessary to building a winning roster.

3. Further to point two, we waived Dominique Easley, traded Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins (not strictly a first rounder but of that talent) last year and still won the SB.

First rounders are very nice to have but with BB moulding this roster, they aren't essential.

And then remember Cook's is a legit #1 (as in #1 receiver on the team) who was picked at number #20 in a deep receiver draft (Sammy Watkins #4, Mike Evans #7, Odell Beckham #12). People saying he's not worth the 32nd pick and some change will deny ever saying that in December of next year.

And.....always remember to buckle up .... speed wins --> The 5 Fastest Players in the NFL Right Now

Last edited:
Brandin Cooks A Historically Great Receiver At Age 23

Cook's accomplishments through age 23 are almost unmatched in history, even among the all-time receiving greats.

Here are Cook’s career receiving stats:

Brandin Cooks
215 receptions, 2,861 yards, 20 TDs

And here are the receiving stats of the top 15 receivers in NFL history through their age 23 seasons:

Marvin Harrison
0 receptions

Reggie Wayne
27 receptions, 345 yards, 0 TDs

Terrell Owens
35 receptions, 520 yards, 4 TDs

Tim Brown
44 receptions, 733 yards, 5 TDs

Cris Carter
44 receptions, 845 yards, 8 TDs

Henry Ellard
50 receptions, 890 yards, 6 TDs

Jerry Rice
49 receptions, 927 yards, 3 TDs

Steve Smith
64 receptions, 1,026 yards, 3 TDs

Anquan Boldin
101 receptions, 1,377 yards, 8 TDs

James Lofton
100 receptions, 1,786 yards, 10 TDs

Tony Gonzalez (tight end)
168 receptions, 1,838 yards, 15 TDs

Isaac Bruce
140 receptions, 2,053 yards, 16 TDs

Andre Johnson
145 receptions, 2,118 yards, 10 TDs

Larry Fitzgerald
230 receptions, 3,135 yards, 24 TDs

Randy Moss
226 receptions, 4,163 yards, 43 TDs

Of that group, only Larry Fitzgerald and Randy Moss had more receptions, yards and touchdowns. That’s it.

Expanding the group to add some more Hall of Famers who lie outside the top 15 in all-time receiving yards:

Charlie Joyner
35 receptions, 493 yards, 3 TDs

John Stallworth
36 receptions, 692 yards, 5 TDs

Art Monk
58 receptions, 797 yards, 3 TDs

Michael Irvin
58 receptions, 1,032 yards, 7 TDs

Steve Largent
87 receptions, 1,348 yards, 14 TDs

Lance Alworth
71 receptions, 1,431 yards, 14 TDs

Andre Reed
158 receptions, 2,128 yards, 16 TDs

Andre Reed comes the closest to Cooks, but still, none compare.

This is not to suggest that Cooks at age 23 is on a surefire path to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He merely has quite the head start. And his best years still lie ahead.​

Out of the 53 man roster there are a total of four players we drafted in the first round.

Slightly interesting footnote. If you include Michael Floyd, which is a bit of a cheat I realise, there are as many first rounders for other teams on the roster as there are our own first rounders: Floyd, Cooks, Gilmore, McClellin. I'm assuming Hightower returns.

Brandin Cooks A Historically Great Receiver At Age 23

Cook's accomplishments through age 23 are almost unmatched in history, even among the all-time receiving greats.

Here are Cook’s career receiving stats:

Brandin Cooks
215 receptions, 2,861 yards, 20 TDs

And here are the receiving stats of the top 15 receivers in NFL history through their age 23 seasons:

Marvin Harrison
0 receptions

Reggie Wayne
27 receptions, 345 yards, 0 TDs

Terrell Owens
35 receptions, 520 yards, 4 TDs

Tim Brown
44 receptions, 733 yards, 5 TDs

Cris Carter
44 receptions, 845 yards, 8 TDs

Henry Ellard
50 receptions, 890 yards, 6 TDs

Jerry Rice
49 receptions, 927 yards, 3 TDs

Steve Smith
64 receptions, 1,026 yards, 3 TDs

Anquan Boldin
101 receptions, 1,377 yards, 8 TDs

James Lofton
100 receptions, 1,786 yards, 10 TDs

Tony Gonzalez (tight end)
168 receptions, 1,838 yards, 15 TDs

Isaac Bruce
140 receptions, 2,053 yards, 16 TDs

Andre Johnson
145 receptions, 2,118 yards, 10 TDs

Larry Fitzgerald
230 receptions, 3,135 yards, 24 TDs

Randy Moss
226 receptions, 4,163 yards, 43 TDs

Of that group, only Larry Fitzgerald and Randy Moss had more receptions, yards and touchdowns. That’s it.

Expanding the group to add some more Hall of Famers who lie outside the top 15 in all-time receiving yards:

Charlie Joyner
35 receptions, 493 yards, 3 TDs

John Stallworth
36 receptions, 692 yards, 5 TDs

Art Monk
58 receptions, 797 yards, 3 TDs

Michael Irvin
58 receptions, 1,032 yards, 7 TDs

Steve Largent
87 receptions, 1,348 yards, 14 TDs

Lance Alworth
71 receptions, 1,431 yards, 14 TDs

Andre Reed
158 receptions, 2,128 yards, 16 TDs

Andre Reed comes the closest to Cooks, but still, none compare.

This is not to suggest that Cooks at age 23 is on a surefire path to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He merely has quite the head start. And his best years still lie ahead.​

Fascinating stat.

I'm not "lamenting" that at all. I'm just questioning the high price paid for what was not an obvious area of need. But I can see why all the Madden/fantasy dweebs are going bonkers over it.

TissueBox-800.jpg

you cant defend cooks thats why bb wanted him

In practice 1 on 1s, he burned Malcolm Butler so badly repeatedly it was alarming. I mean cooks is so fast, he's impossible to cover without a double team. Speed Kills.

Brady is going to love cooks

Imagining all of the cover-2 to take away Cooks and Hogan outside, leaving a lot of room for Gronk in the middle in single coverage.

:drool:

Regards,
Chris

Cooks threatens 3 different levels of the defense, and can lineup on inside or outside. He's a nightmare matchup. Gronk will be wide open all day.

BB press conference:

Reporter: Bill, was the #32 pick and a 3rd too much to pay for Brandon Cook and a 4?
BB: Snort....(thinking to himself) ...If I thought it was too much why the phuck would I pull the phucking trigger? The last time I made a move like this it was with the LOLphins for Wes. Oh yeah.....they thinking this same crap then. This guy is 2 times Wes Welker. Are these armchair GM's for real. Man, just can't win with these idiots.
then Bill wakes out of daydream: We do what's best for the team.

Yes, if you ignore how much the offense struggled early, you can pretend there were no problems. That's not really news, Ken..
When did they struggle early? They had a decent opening night, and an outstanding one vs Miami. So I guess you mean they struggled relatively against Houston (another playoff team) with a rookie QB, and obviously vs Buffalo with the rookie QB with the thumb that have surgery the next week. Please. :rolleyes:

???
One of Floyd's problems is a struggle to get separation.
I thought I'd have to explain this one better.

I didn't mean "separation" in the sense of Dion Branch, Edelman, or Cooks. I meant that he's a difficult match up for man to man coverage, because even when he's relatively cover well, he can make receptions because of his size and the threat of his straight ahead speed.

The point being the Pats offense was 2nd best in the league against good defenses (especially DL's), as opposed to the general criticism that the Pats D was good against bad offenses. With point being why give up so much draft capital to improve an obvious strength, which was going to get better already with Gronk returning.

Now you're just being ridiculous. The trade should make a legitimate offensive issue less of an issue. For a team in New England's position, that's a good thing. .
Not ridiculous, just working hard to make a point. It is never a bad thing to add a good player. Clearly the crux of our disagreement is how critical is the need that supposedly Brandin Cooks fills. You think it's a serious gap that needs filling. I see him as a nice luxury who could have more value down the road (if they can keep him) I was merely pointing out that the offense was very good in fact the 2nd best in the league even WITH that so called serious gap. And I question just how much better they can be. If they average over 35-40/game, then your point will have been made, less than that and my theory that any gain will be marginal. Hard to improve on 14-1 under Brady.

We just see things differently

Apparently, BB has had a problem with it.
Apparently BB does and I disagree. Does that mean that I can call you homer now because you agree with him. Wouldn't that be an ironic change of positions for us. ;)

Still very very early in the off season. I'm hoping that before September most of my concerns will be answered. ie, if JG is traded for a 1 and 2 or high 3, then I'll probably be OK. OR perhaps we'll sign another edge rushing prospect that will turn out well AND of course, we bring back Hightower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes