PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for Carolina DE Kony Ealy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on Grissom and whats going on with Nink. If Sheard leaves they will need another end for sure,

The Patriots traded down 8 spots, from the last pick of the 2nd round to the 8th pick of the third round. The draft value equivalent (the difference in value between those picks) is something like a late fifth rounder.

Whatever great pass rusher you think they're passing up on at 64, there's a good chance they can get him at 72 anyway.

Pats have also added two useful players in two trades, improved on their cap, still have the same number of draft picks as before without significantly damaging the value of the traded picks, and will be in line for a comp pick next year if Ealy leaves.

So we should now have a very talented and motivated DE, playing for a contract in a league where pass rushers get paid big.

It is almost as much fun watching BB, the Jedi master, at work, as it is watching the Pats play.

Oh, and **** you Roger Goodell!

Steep price to pay for a one year rental. Better be an extension coming because you don't throw 2nd away for rentals do you?

Edit: Nevermind. May get a 3rd if he leaves in FA.

What I don't get is why Carolina would do this...the new DC must like Addison?

I mean, they gave Ealy away.

Credit to Loyko for calling this one!

If they feel they will lose him at the end of the year and can't compete this year why not? moving from 72 to 64 will give them the shot at 8 prospects that would not have been there at 72.

The days of light footed, "graceful" DE's like Chandler Jones around here (who fade out when winter hits) are done.

Ealy and Flowers are two strong mother f***ers.

Jones and Ealy are actually fairly similar in style of play. One of the main criticisms of Jones from the perspective of traditional edge rushers is that he doesn't really explode around the edge. He takes a more direct bath to the QB, winning with strength, leverage, active hands, and long arms. I think the main reason why Jones is no longer here is because the Pats knew someone would be willing to pay him $17M this offseason, and it sure as hell wasn't going to be us. If we could have Jones for anywhere near what Ealy's making, he'd still be here.

So we going to go crazy over that one game? Potential. He has potential. I basically see this as sheard coming to new england to play.
For next to nothing. So why are you complaining?

So we going to go crazy over that one game? Potential. He has potential. I basically see this as sheard coming to new england to play.

You realise how hypocritical you're being? A draft pick is nothing BUT potential.

This is a kid who has had some success (however limited that may be), and they gave up next to nothing to get him.

The difference is that Sheard cost 7m dollars his first year here. Ealy is on a cheap rookie pact, still.

If Bill decides to use him and turn him loose next year, it will have cost us 8 draft spots and a very cheap salary.

Ealy is younger than sheard

Oh this guy was a total beast in SB50. He's a big time pass rusher. This is great.
But can he set the edge? Does he freelance? Does he maintain lane integrity? :confused:

He has been a dissapointment. How's this guy worth a second rounder? Bill must not like the players in this draft. So now they only have a first rounder and a bunch of 3rd round picks. This guy's similar to sheard. I don't see the big excitement here.

Couldn't he have gotten him for a 3rd rounder?
Has there ever been anything you liked? Anything at all?

Pats have also added two useful players in two trades, improved on their cap, still have the same number of draft picks as before without significantly damaging the value of the traded picks, and will be in line for a comp pick next year if Ealy leaves.

So we should now have a very talented and motivated DE, playing for a contract in a league where pass rushers get paid big.

It is almost as much fun watching BB, the Jedi master, at work, as it is watching the Pats play.

Oh, and **** you Roger Goodell!

Well there's some good players early in this draft and we only have one pick at number 32 until we reach 72. That number 32 could be dealt for brandin cooks

Grissom is not a pass rusher. He'll be lucky to be on the team next year
Well he has not shown much unfortunately.

BB did say he was "very instinctive" as a pass rusher and had high hopes for him.

Someone nailed it earlier today when they said he's like a bot who posts slightly re-worded negative posts every few minutes.
6000 gripping posts in the last year or so :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back