PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots top 10 draft picks of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mean any offense and was just pointing out reasons for my point of view.

Yes two years but if year two was like year one he wouldn't be on the list.

BTW if we are including their entire career not just the Patriot numbers there's no way Curtis Martin isn't on the list. I know you had him but the NESN article had Plunkett and not Martin. I know Plunkett won two SBs but that was a function of how talented those teams were. His numbers were very average for that era and suck by today's standards.

None taken, that wasn't in response to only you.

It's completely objective, (Is getting a Troy Brown in the 8th round more valuable than a Richard Seymour as the 6th overall pick). I thought more people would come up with their own list rather than focusing on the 2 or 3 or 5 they didn't agree with. Oh well.

FWIW here is the list from the article:

1. Brady
2. Bruschi
3. Bledsoe
4. Hannah
5. T.Brown
6. Plunkett
7. Tippett
8. Grogan
9. Law
10. Gronk

It's completely objective, (Is getting a Troy Brown in the 8th round more valuable than a Richard Seymour as the 6th overall pick). I thought more people would come up with their own list rather than focusing on the 2 or 3 or 5 they didn't agree with. Oh well.

1. Brady
2. Bruschi
3. Bledsoe
4. Hannah
5. T.Brown
6. Plunkett
7. Tippett
8. Grogan
9. Law
10. Gronk

this list doesn't do anything well.....neither best nor value. if you use troy brown because he was in the 8th round, then what about ray hamiltong? 14th rounder who started every game played by the pats in his first 8 years

and plunkett? really? ahead of grogan? better? better value? the only reason he belongs on the list is because of what the pats got for him when they dumped his sorry arse....

based on best players ever drafted by the pats:
1 - tom brady
2 - andre tippett
3 - mike haynes
4 - ty law
5 - richard seymour
6 - john hannah
7 - stanely morgan
8 - julius adams
9 - steve nelson
10 - bruce armstrong

No way on Gronk TE TD record on not. Way too early to put him on an all time draft list. :confused:

Hard to disagree with the list above..... but Sam the Bam needs to be on it. Maybe in place of Nelson (but it's a difficult choice).

Last edited:
1. L. Maroney
2. C.Jackson
3. S. Crable
4. B. Meriweather
5. T. Wheatley

:rolleyes:

If you're just looking at the luck+skill of the player evaluation implied by the pick, then Gronk indeed deserves to be very high on the list, based just on what he's shown to date.

Brady, of course, is way ahead of any of the others.

No way on Gronk TE TD record on not. Way too early to put him on an all time draft list. :confused:

Hard to disagree with the list above..... but Sam the Bam needs to be on it. Maybe in place of Nelson (but it's a difficult choice).

sam bam took a beating and ended early.......curtis martin on it before him

If you're just looking at the luck+skill of the player evaluation implied by the pick, then Gronk indeed deserves to be very high on the list, based just on what he's shown to date.

Brady, of course, is way ahead of any of the others.

too early for gronk....if he got hurt and was done, no way he winds up on that list.

Tom Brady, Ty Law Among Patriots' Top 10 Best Draft Picks of All Time (Photos) - New England Patriots - NESN.com

Here's mine:

1. Tom Brady 6th -01
2. Andre Tippett 2nd -82
3. John Hannah 1st -73
4. Ben Coates 5th -91
5. Curtis Martin 3rd -96
6. Stanley Morgan 1st -77
7. Rob Gronkowski 2nd -10
8. Steve Nelson 2nd -74
9. Mike Haynes 1st -76
10. Richard Seymour 1st -01

Bruschi is rightly no.2 on that list, how on earth you can leave him out is beyond me.

People knocking the Gronk pick. After 2 seasons he is 10th on the Pats all time receiving TD list. After this year he very well could be top 5.

People knocking the Gronk pick. After 2 seasons he is 10th on the Pats all time receiving TD list. After this year he very well could be top 5.

then he will move up

Who's knocking the Gronk pick? Great pick/great player. Just too early to put him in the top 10 of the all time Patriot draft class.

Russ Francis was very similar to Gronk (and that was back when tight ends were not a first option in playbooks). I'd put Russ on that list before Gronk. But ask me again in 5 years.

Last edited:

1. Brady
2. Bruschi
3. Bledsoe
4. Hannah
5. T.Brown
6. Plunkett
7. Tippett
8. Grogan
9. Law
10. Gronk

On value of the pick:

1. Brady
2. Martin
3. Tippett
4. Coates
5. Brown
6. Bruschi
7. Blackmon
8. Nelson
9. Light
10. Milloy

On best ever drafted:

1. Brady
2. Hannah
3. Haynes
4. Tippett
5. Martin
6. Morgan
7. Seymour
8. Armstrong
9. Law
10. Coates

Don Blackmon was a 4th rounder who I thought was vastly underrated and if not for the neck injury would have had a lot of productive years left.

it is obvious you don't go far back.

in terms of value, there may not be a better pick than ray hamilton (14th round) who started every game played for his 1st 8 years with the pats. i don't believe anyone on either list can lay claim to that

also, ron bolton, maurice hurst, ronnie lippett and fred marion outdid Milloy in terms of value for a DB

sam hunt was better value than don blackmon...he might have been the best LB value in patriots history being drafted in the 15th round

then there's DL toby williams (10th round), DL Tim Goad (4th rd)

On value of the pick:

1. Brady
2. Martin
3. Tippett
4. Coates
5. Brown
6. Bruschi
7. Blackmon
8. Nelson
9. Light
10. Milloy

On best ever drafted:

1. Brady
2. Hannah
3. Haynes
4. Tippett
5. Martin
6. Morgan
7. Seymour
8. Armstrong
9. Law
10. Coates

Don Blackmon was a 4th rounder who I thought was vastly underrated and if not for the neck injury would have had a lot of productive years left.

it is obvious you don't go far back.

in terms of value, there may not be a better pick than ray hamilton (14th round) who started every game played for his 1st 8 years with the pats. i don't believe anyone on either list can lay claim to that

also, ron bolton, maurice hurst, ronnie lippett and fred marion outdid Milloy in terms of value for a DB

sam hunt was better value than don blackmon...he might have been the best LB value in patriots history being drafted in the 15th round

then there's DL toby williams (10th round), DL Tim Goad (4th rd)

I go back to 76 when I was eight. When you start out with a statement like that you come off as condescending at best.

I missed Hamilton when I scanned the draft history and he deserves a spot for sure. I though about Hurst, Lippett, Marion, Fox and others and can see the argument for them. If we are including just the Patriots career I would agree but the original article opens it up to their NFL career and IMO Milloy has had the best of that grouping.

I can't argue with putting Julius Adams on the list either. The long term production from him was awesome.

David Givens should definitely be on that list

Some could argue that Deion Branch provided some great value as well

I go back to 76 when I was eight. When you start out with a statement like that you come off as condescending at best.
I don't care

I missed Hamilton when I scanned the draft history and he deserves a spot for sure.

if you don't remember on your own, then what''s the point?

I though about Hurst, Lippett, Marion, Fox and others and can see the argument for them. If we are including just the Patriots career I would agree but the original article opens it up to their NFL career and IMO Milloy has had the best of that grouping.

Fox was a 1st rounder....he did what he was supposed to do.......Ron Bolton did more than any of them and its not even close if you're counting entire NFL career. 35 INTs as a 5th round pick in a league that did not throw the ball nearly as much

I don't care

if you don't remember on your own, then what''s the point?

Fox was a 1st rounder....he did what he was supposed to do.......Ron Bolton did more than any of them and its not even close if you're counting entire NFL career. 35 INTs as a 5th round pick in a league that did not throw the ball nearly as much

That's obvious.

Because I can't recall every round of every player ever drafted and you'll always forget somebody.

That's why I didn't put Fox in there. I didn't realize his interception total was that high.

Seymour didn't become a top 10 DL in the league, he became the best DL in his generation (you can argue Sapp or Freeney if you want).

I can argue a lot more than Sapp and Freeney. Haloti Ngata, Jared Allen......

Seymour was not even the best DL on the Patriots, much less in his generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe