PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots reach an agreement with TE Daniel Fells

Status
Not open for further replies.
typic.al example of Herald crap. Hernandez and Gronk will be entering there 3rd season, they are LONG past the need for a "mentor". :rolleyes:

Hernandez isn't a "pancake blocker" but he isn't nearly as weak as it as the Herald is trying to make it out. And Gronk could be the best blocking TE in the league. WTF are they talking about.

Make no mistake, Daniel Fells is a JAG. A much need JAG, but a JAG nevertheless. He will play a role and lit will likely mean we don't have to draft a TE in the first 4 rounds. (so ends my Coby Fleener, outside the box, draft pick. ;) ) This was just another very nice bottom half of the roster FA signing. Move along....nothing to s.ee here.

BTW-I don't don't want to seem about ready to go into panic mode, but there is that small problem of replacing those 20 sacks (half our total), on our not so good defense, We don't have and endless supply of money (not that this "small" detail seems to stop all the speculations), and the Pats have now signed SEVEN FA's I know none broke the bank, but there CAN'T be much left, unless we start to make "jet-like" restructures.

Seriously, just when it seemed like we were making progress in creating some consistent QB pressure on QB's at the end of the season, I don't understand why would would purposely take a BIG step back.

So far we've add a starter and depth to the Offense and merely 3 roll players and camp fodder to the defense. A defense that has now has ONLY Rob Ninkovitch as an outside pass threat. And don't talk to me about the draft. Rookies RARELY have great impacts in their first year.

You don't pay jags $2-3M per on three year deals. Gronk's brother was a jag. Fells is a journeyman and that is what teams that stress a solid middle class are looking for in backup players.

As impatient and kneejerk as you've become of late it's amazing you ever coached anything.

1) We still need to sign a running back in free agency, perhaps Green-Ellis, perhaps someone else.

2) We also need to sign an additional wide receiver in free agency, perhaps Branch, perhaps someone else. Surely, we can't go into camp depending on only Ochocinco or Gonzalez for our #3 WR and #4 WR.

3) It seems unlikely that a drafted center not named Konz (a 1st or early 2nd rounder) would beat out Wendell and McDonald for the backup center position.

Konz seems unlikely if Waters is coming back. If we were to draft Konz, he would be expected to start, move Connolly to his old role of backup center and backup guard. In any case, drafting Konz is to draft a "starting" center rather than a backup.

BOTTOM LINE
This isn't much to ask on offense 5 1/2 days into free agency.

. If Waters comes back the offense is pretty much set except for a backup C.

You don't pay jags $2-3M per on three year deals. Gronk's brother was a jag. Fells is a journeyman and that is what teams that stress a solid middle class are looking for in backup players.

As impatient and kneejerk as you've become of late it's amazing you ever coached anything.
Don't be such a ****, Mo. JAG is short for "just another guy". By definition "just another guy" in the NFL is a very good football ball player. I wasn't insulting him. You said the EXACTLY same thing by calling him a "journeyman" WTF is the difference, Mo? JAGs are exact the kind of players who make up the bottom third of NFL rosters all over the league, and Daniel Fells falls into this category EXACTLY.

So in reality on the issue of Daniel Fells, we have no issue (except for your inability to comprehend that a JAG and an journeyman are the same thing). So lets get to the REAL issue of the post, Mo, which has less to do about Daniel Fells, and more to do with creating some personal conflict between you and I. It seems to me that YOUR comments are a LOT more "knee jerk" and "impatient" than mine were. What's up with that?

Last edited:
Glad to see a legitimate TE added on.

I love the Gronks but was not thrilled about Robs brother on the team at the time,he wasn't a good fit.

Glad to see a legitimate TE added on.

I love the Gronks but was not thrilled about Robs brother on the team at the time,he wasn't a good fit.

Supposedly the Gronk still in college is an even better athlete than GRONK. :eek:

Wow this is amazing.

This year's FA is truly a spectacle! Go BB! :rocker:

Love the signing and hopefully it means Gronk won't have to stay home too much and may even take some snaps away from him. It's nice to have a player who can play every offensive snap if required but I'd rather he didn't have to and another player could pick up some of his work load. More snaps = less life expectancy. Even for the beast that is Gronk!

Not a great but adequate blocker who will do a solid job. Don't rate him very much as a pass catcher at all so I'd be surprised if he's utilised very much int he passing game.

If nothing else, this should kill the "Draft a TE in round one!" posts. For that alone, this is an excellent signing.

We needed a good blocking TE,especially when the team goes up against Mario Williams in Buffalo twice a season,Buffalo at this time appears to be the main threat to NE in the AFC east and you need help to block thier biggest and best player from taking over a game and also keeping Brady from getting whacked...and that will be Fells job now.

Last edited:
Don't be such a ****, Mo. JAG is short for "just another guy". By definition "just another guy" in the NFL is a very good football ball player. I wasn't insulting him. You said the EXACTLY same thing by calling him a "journeyman" WTF is the difference, Mo? JAGs are exact the kind of players who make up the bottom third of NFL rosters all over the league, and Daniel Fells falls into this category EXACTLY.

So in reality on the issue of Daniel Fells, we have no issue (except for your inability to comprehend that a JAG and an journeyman are the same thing). So lets get to the REAL issue of the post, Mo, which has less to do about Daniel Fells, and more to do with creating some personal conflict between you and I. It seems to me that YOUR comments are a LOT more "knee jerk" and "impatient" than mine were. What's up with that?

Geezer vs Geezer violence. Gotta luv it.
There's not enough else to do...

We needed a good blocking TE,especially when the team goes up against Mario Williams in Buffalo twice a season,Buffalo at this time appears to be the main threat to NE in the AFC east and you need help to block thier biggest and best player from taking over a game and also keeping Brady from getting whacked...and that will be Fells job now.

Excellent point. BB always tries to build his teams in the context of the NFL environment he faces. Protecting Brady against excellent multi-dimensional pass rush teams continues to be the key to running the offense.

The Pats had the best TE corp before doing this. Now, the group is sick good/deep. I'm so pumped about what the team has done over the last few days. Very cool!

I think this means we will see ahern playing more receiver than te...this guy is a other pass catcher so it gives brady another option.

Will we focus mainly on defense in the draft?

I think the team will be in great shape to focus on the D in the draft. However, if they sign Landry, that will even give them more flexibility. A nice RB in the draft wouldn't hurt, even though they took two last year, IMHO.

I agree.
JAG = journeyman

Just heard on NFLN from Denver Post Writter that he hopes Daniel Fells reconsider the signing with Patriots now that Manning is on board in Denver. Is this even possible? Is the Daniel Fells signing official?

Just heard on NFLN from Denver Post Writter that he hopes Daniel Fells reconsider the signing with Patriots now that Manning is on board in Denver. Is this even possible? Is the Daniel Fells signing official?

Reiss tweeted this
Follow-up on TE Daniel Fells' agreement with Pats: It will be 3 years with a max value of $7 million.

Sounds like he singned.

Last edited:
Lets see, play with a QB who just threw for 5200 yards in one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL or go back to Denver with a QB who is coming off 3 neck surgeries over a few months and hasn't played in nearly 2 years?

He might be a higher priority target in Denver, but he will also be covered by someone much better. When he is on the field here, chances are he will be an after thought for most defenses who have to look at Welker, Lloyd, Gronk, Hernandez, or one of Woodhead/Ridley/Vereen out of the backfield and finally Fells most likely being the 4th or 5th target.

Jeez...what's up with the personal attacks?? Or did you forgot to add on the sarcasm icons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft