PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Re-Sign WR Reagor on a one-year deal

Yup. I'm still in on Ridley, which would give us Ridley, Bourne, Douglas as a reasonable top 3. Then draft a rookie in the 2nd or 3rd (depending on where you think you need to draft a decent tackle), take another one late on day three or as a UDFA, and let those two plus JuJu, Thornton, and Reagor battle it out for two roster spots. If Reagor wins that battle, a few things have probably gone wrong, but at least he's the floor.
Ridley automatically makes Bourne and Douglas Dangerous people who are sleeping on Ridley's potential Impact need to wake up. Thornton is nothing special that alone can be plainly seen.

He did some stuff... I'll be optimistic... I guess...

The most I would give Riidley is 12 AAV, and I’m guessing he will get considerably more than that. But if they can get him for a deal like that I’m fine with it.
We’ll see, the open market determines worth.

I’d rather pepper the roster with WR draft picks starting from the 3rd round on, then use all that free agent money to sign a starting tackle like Oli Udoh from Minny or Yosh Nijman from Green Bay.

They can draft another tackle as well, but it’s better to have multiple chances to get that LT spot right.

I think people need to realize that the vet minimum signings are camp competition signings, and there will almost certainly be WR’s drafted. The only locks to make the team are Douglas and Bourne, after that it’s open season for the last 3-4 spots, and special teams ability factor in more and more as you go deeper down the unit.

The NFL owners will be considering significant changes to kickoff rules at next week’s meeting. The last proposal I heard was an adoption of the XFL rule with some twists that penalize touchbacks (35 yard line) increasing actual returns while reducing the high speed impacts of the current rules.

That proposal also called for 2 deep guys for the return team. Imagine Reagor and Marcus Jones back there actually returning the ball rather than just watching the ball sail over their head.

This might explain their interest in Reagor resigning.

We’ll see, the open market determines worth.

I’d rather pepper the roster with WR draft picks starting from the 3rd round on, then use all that free agent money to sign a starting tackle like Oli Udoh from Minny or Yosh Nijman from Green Bay.

They can draft another tackle as well, but it’s better to have multiple chances to get that LT spot right.

I think he will get significantly more than that, I’m just not as high on him as most are. I would still like them to sign T. Smith and draft an OT at #34, however, if OT gets cleaned out in round one I like the idea of trading #34 back, then trading # 68 up, and having 3 2nd round picks, as I think that’s the sweet spot in this draft. They could get an OT comparable to what they would get at #34, a really good WR, and my binkie, T’Vondre Sweat with those picks, and that would be as good a Day 2 as we could hope for imo.

I think people need to realize that the vet minimum signings are camp competition signings, and there will almost certainly be WR’s drafted. The only locks to make the team are Douglas and Bourne, after that it’s open season for the last 3-4 spots, and special teams ability factor in more and more as you go deeper down the unit.
While I agree, vet minimum signings vary based on upside and potential. Reagor has been given every opportunity.

As an example, I’d rather have given that contract to Jalen Guyton, the guy played behind Mike Williams and Devante on the Chargers, was an UDFA, dealt with an injury but is seemingly healthy now.

He’s tall, athletic, fast and has waited his turn behind two similarly sized vets. The potential of him being good given a starting role is more likely than Reagor finally fulfilling his first round promise in year five.

In 2001 the Pat’s did a great job at finding value elsewhere, I don’t see Reagor as potential value… I see him as a warm body and wasted roster spot they might end up stuck with if the injury bug hits. Orkorafor as well, untapped potential is better than already proven incompetence.

pretty sure he had our first ko return td since patterson in 2018?

Even though kickoff has been devalued it still pays to have a home run hitter. You never know when they can flip a game.

pretty sure he had our first ko return td since patterson in 2018?

Even though kickoff has been devalued it still pays to have a home run hitter. You never know when they can flip a game.
NFL is voting on a proposal in May to try to make the kickoff relevant again, while eliminating high speed collisions. We’ll see if it passes, but if it does that’s where he can add some value.

NFL is voting on a proposal in May to try to make the kickoff relevant again, while eliminating high speed collisions. We’ll see if it passes, but if it does that’s where he can add some value.

If it's the variation on the XFL option that I saw a breakdown of, I'll be curious to see if the same guys who excelled at KR previously are still good at the new ones. Could require a slightly different skill set.

If it's the variation on the XFL option that I saw a breakdown of, I'll be curious to see if the same guys who excelled at KR previously are still good at the new ones. Could require a slightly different skill set.
Here are the current details:

While I agree, vet minimum signings vary based on upside and potential. Reagor has been given every opportunity.

As an example, I’d rather have given that contract to Jalen Guyton, the guy played behind Mike Williams and Devante on the Chargers, was an UDFA, dealt with an injury but is seemingly healthy now.

He’s tall, athletic, fast and has waited his turn behind two similarly sized vets. The potential of him being good given a starting role is more likely than Reagor finally fulfilling his first round promise in year five.

In 2001 the Pat’s did a great job at finding value elsewhere, I don’t see Reagor as potential value… I see him as a warm body and wasted roster spot they might end up stuck with if the injury bug hits. Orkorafor as well, untapped potential is better than already proven incompetence.

That’s fine, I just don’t worry too much about the end of the roster guys because most don’t make it anyways. And I agree about potential, but at the very start of the offseason I don’t see this as keeping them from bringing in a bunch of competition for the last couple of WR spots. I remember one offseason under Belichick where they had 14 WR’s on their 90 man roster at one point, and the only reason I remember that was because they just kept adding WR’s and I couldn’t believe how many they had signed and went and counted them up. I doubt Reagor makes the roster in the end, I just think they sign depth signings like this as insurance if they can’t fill out the roster with better players.

That’s fine, I just don’t worry too much about the end of the roster guys because most don’t make it anyways. And I agree about potential, but at the very start of the offseason I don’t see this as keeping them from bringing in a bunch of competition for the last couple of WR spots. I remember one offseason under Belichick where they had 14 WR’s on their 90 man roster at one point, and the only reason I remember that was because they just kept adding WR’s and I couldn’t believe how many they had signed and went and counted them up. I doubt Reagor makes the roster in the end, I just think they sign depth signings like this as insurance if they can’t fill out the roster with better players.
Ivan: we don't we didn't originally Draft Reagor and he did improve and looks good on ST's. Anymore improvements is gravy he's better than Bone man. :cool:

Kick returner only, mind you. He doesn't return punts, where he might actually have some value.
We have returners Marcus Jones and Reagor.

IMO, both are at the bottom of the depth charts at their positions, which is fine.

Our #5 WR should have some role on special teams.

We have returners Marcus Jones and Reagor.

IMO, both are at the bottom of the depth charts at their positions, which is fine.

Our #5 WR should have some role on special teams.

I seriously doubt Marcus Jones is going anywhere. He can contribute on offense, defense, and special teams, and regardless of where he is listed on any unit there are very few players who can do that.

30% catch ratio ( 7 catches/23 passes) doesn't impress you?
Sort of felt like he came on late, but I guess I remembered it differently. To your point, it was pretty bad. 5/15 over the last six games, including 2/9 over the final two weeks. :notsaying:

Hard to catch passes that either bounce 10 feet in front of them, or sail 10 feet over their head. This isn’t a special dining by any means, but Reagor looked pretty good in a horrible offense, and he is costing them next to nothing. This is just a depth signing, I’m fine with it.
But even when he was in Minn and Philly with Cousins and Hurts throwing him passes, he still only caught 57-60%

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back