PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Re-sign Veterans McGowan, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Light, G. Warren and Tracy White

As I noted in #14 on this thread, Matt Light appears on the roster page and I suspect his resigning has not been announced yet.

There's something odd about it, though. The whole situation is odd.

Unless they're giving him really good money, I can't see why Light would come back. Willie Colon, a guy in a comparable situation (a left tackle getting an extension whose value might have been slightly inflated by his team's success) just got five years and $29 million. And Colon is a definite notch below Light performance-wise. Tyson Clabo, who's closer to Light's level, just got five years and $25 million, with $11.5 guaranteed. Even Jeromey Clary, the Chargers' right tackle -- a guy who is probably not much better than Nick Kaczur, if he is at all -- just got a deal that will pay him $8.5 million this year.

That means they'll almost certainly have to shell out serious money to keep Matt Light. I can't imagine they'd get him for less than $10 million guaranteed. That seems to be the going rate, and in a vacuum, that price would make sense for the Pats, if they were thinking in terms of a 2-year outlay.

But that's a lot of money to pay for a guy when you just drafted a high first-round pick to play his position. I suppose it's a little like Tennessee drafting Locker and signing Hasselbeck, but does an offensive tackle really need that much development time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes