PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots RB Depth: A serious issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This position is going to have to be addressed either by free agency or a draft pick.

Maroney is a disappointment so far, at least in my opinion.

Good guy and all, but getting close to a big disappointment.

This position is going to have to be addressed either by free agency or a draft pick.

Maroney is a disappointment so far, at least in my opinion.

Good guy and all, but getting close to a big disappointment.

based upon what? how has our running game hurt us at all this year? it does what it is designed to do.

Gotta wonder if Dillon will be getting a phone call today.....

And you can guarantee this because you are a medical doctor or have talked to the team phsyician? I think not.

Neither are you. So, what are you doing throwing a hissy fit over it?

Every team has multiple needs. Just because the Patriots select a runningback in the draft does not mean they will ignore their other needs. I don't recall recommending the Patriots pick runningbacks in every single round. You are being disingenous here. Tell, me, were you one of the several people denying that we needed WR help after the 2006 AFCCG. You sure sound like one.

And tell everyone that you were one of the people saying we needed more RBs prior to the start of the year because I don't remember you being on. I know that I was. Also, since you missed it, the Pats are being extremely careful with injuries. And they can afford to be when they are trouncing teams the way they are.

The Welker trade simply shows that the Patriots recognized a NEED, WR, and expended a 2nd round draft pick to address that need. The Patriots, probably unlike yourself, realized that WR was a thin position in 2006 that needed to be addressed. They did not do as the linebacker fanatics demanded and draft a LB simply to make a popular choice.

The Welker trade did NOT show the Pats to be thin at the WR position. What it showed was that the Patriots saw a weapon that had regularly trounced them, was hard to cover, and was available. Taking a weapon from a division rival and adding it to your arsenal is good team management.

OH, btw, I think you should take your head out of your arse because the Pats were intent on drafting a LB in the 3rd round. They had one in mind and he was taken by the Eagles. Its why the Pats turned around and traded the pick. Its not a matter of being a "popular choice" and your being disingenuous when you say it is. Since you missed it, the Pats were playing short at LB.. They only have 8 on the roster, when they normally carry 9 or 10 and one of them was not dressed last night because he's been hurt.

The RB corps is THIN in 2007. Maroney is constantly injured, Faulk is aging, and Morris is out for the year. Our TWO starting RBs in the second half against the Bills were Evans and Eckel. If that does not smack of Caldwell and Gaffney, I don't know what does.

Here is you being disengenuous again. Maroney isn't constantly injured. The Pats are treating all players with kids gloves since you missed it. OH, and Eckel and Evans weren't the "STARTING" RBs in the 2nd half. More inaccuracy on your part. The Pats chose to NOT have Maroney and Faulk return because it was such a blow-out.

I'll explain the terminology, in a platoon you have a 1A back and a 1B back.
Please refer to say Jacksonville with Fred Taylor and Maurice Drew Jones.
If Fred Taylor goes down with an injury, the Jags have 'peace of mind' because they know that MDJ is a quality back who can fill in if Fred goes down.
But the benefit of the platoon is more than that because when both are healthy the Jags can also play both at once while still keeping each player rested. (Leading to the NFL's #3 overall team rushing offense btw).

Yes, and the Pats had this with Morris and Maroney. But Maroney WAS getting more carries than he was last year... Since you missed it, the Pats had been on a pace to run the ball over 500 times with their RBs alone. Now they'll be lucky to hit 500 TOTAL because of injuries.. Injuries happen. And since you were so good at mentioning the Jags situation, why not also mention that Fred Taylor has been injured quite a bit in his career... Even last year.

If 'peace of mind' avoids having to use Evans or Eckel as the starting tailback, then it is HIGHLY DESIRABLE and conducive to WINNING, which I should remind you is the Patriots ultimate goal.

I actually have no intention of trying to convince you of anything. Although I am happy to 'school' you in what I'm talking about. My main questions is directed towards the draftniks who frequent this site to point out some likely targets in the 2008 draft for the role as Patriots RB 1b.

You haven't schooled anyone you arrogant slug. All you've done is beat your chest and act like you know something.

You can only plan so much for injuries. They happen. Once they do, you do your best to mitigate them. The Pats left Maroney and Faulk on the bench because they could AFFORD to and its conducive to winning FUTURE games. Its why the Pats pay Belichick to make the hard decisions and why you, along with everyone else, are sitting behind a screen pretending to know what the hell you're talking about.

Last edited:
There are some decent FA's available next season as well:

Michael Turner tops the list, but other notables:

Jamal Lewis

Vernand Morency

Mewelde Moore (more of a scat back/3rd down back, but could be an every down back if needed)

Some good LB's, as well:

Karlos Dansby

Kawika Mitchell

Danny Clark

the Pats aren't dumb enough to use a top 5 pick on a RB. they know that RB skills are fairly fungible, and RB's are largely a product of the system they play in.

most people probably don't realize that McFadden doesn't have the highest YPC on his OWN TEAM.

MCfadden: 272 for 1519 (5.6)
Jones: 114 for 1032 (9.1)

I'm not saying McFadden isn't a good RB, I'm saying he isn't the ubergod he is made out to be.

he's fine, but nowhere close to worthy of being drafted top 5

I don't think we should be panicking here. Players get dinged up. BFD. We've got Morris and Maroney next year, a proven, solid one-two punch. Plus Evans, Faulk, Eckel. How many backs do you want on the 53? Six? Maybe seven just to be on the safe side.

Maroney was rarely injured in college. It doesn't seem like his "foot injury" tonight was a big deal. Let's see how he performs down the stretch.

Not a big deal? This kid is hurt ALL the time. He is a first round draft choice. Not to mention when he is healthy he does nothing. Tell me what Maroney has done since week 13 LAST year? The answer is nothing. maroney has done nothing major in 16 games going back to last year.

Maroney is injury prone. He is also not very productive. He makes you say wow at times , but most of the time dances around the gets hurt.

Last edited:
AFAIK, Maroney being hurt was pure speculation on Madden's part.

I took his absence more in the blowout manner. He had one run where he turtled a little early, but otherwise he was everything that people have asked him to be.

So both Maroney and Faulk got hurt in this game.
The Patriots were down to a rushing attack of Heath Evans and Kyle Eckel.
Against the overmatched Bills, this was more than enough to run out the clock.
But do you really want to rely on these 2 down the stretch?

I think the Patriots seriously need to consider drafting a RB in 2008.
Maroney got dinged yet again, and right now the guy he reminds me of is Robert Smith of the Vikings. A guy who was guaranteed to miss at least 2 or 3 games each season, and sometimes more.

I've already talked about McFadden, and I understand the cap implications. Let's put that aside for now, even though I believe he will be the best RB in the 2008 draft, period.

The Pats can still address the RB need early in round 2 if they trade down.
Some candidates that I've heard discussed include Felix Jones (McFadden's platoon mate) [http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=170926], Mike Hart of Michigan [http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=160897], or maybe even Steve Slaton of WVU [http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=174468].

Who would your candidate be for runningback 1B? I think we're gonna need one. I'm just not comfortable using Heath Evans as the Pats starting tailback.

Steve Slaton is kind of like Maroney. Fast but needs a hole to go through...doesn't usually run over people. Most of the RBs in college are kind of like that...very fast but the holes in the pros just aren't there like in college.

I'd rather them take a guy who has good feet, can sustain contact and get a few yards, runs low...but isn't necessarily that fast.

Eckel looked like he actually had very quick feet.

I don't think you need a top 1st round RB to do well...with a decent passing offense a random RB should be all that's needed. Which makes it kind of disappointing that Maroney isn't doing that well...but I can't blame him as it's just a huge pile at the LOS. No thoroughbred type of running back is goign to get through that consistently.

It's amazing how folks seemimgly follow the Patriots but totally miss how BB builds a team. Knowing that RBs get injured, thoughtful NFL GMs like to have a RB tandem. BB has just that with the effective tandem of Morris & Maroney for next year. Don't expect to see a round 1 or 2 pick spent on a RB, even given Maroney's penchant for bench time.

Patriots RB Depth: A serious issue? No

The Patriots are going to pass first, if a team goes nickel they will pound the ball with whatever scrubs they have.

It is ideal? No
Do have confidence in Maroney? No
Will the Patriots win without a legit #1 RB? Yes

Steve Slaton is kind of like Maroney. Fast but needs a hole to go through...doesn't usually run over people. Most of the RBs in college are kind of like that...very fast but the holes in the pros just aren't there like in college.

I'd rather them take a guy who has good feet, can sustain contact and get a few yards, runs low...but isn't necessarily that fast.

Eckel looked like he actually had very quick feet.

I don't think you need a top 1st round RB to do well...with a decent passing offense a random RB should be all that's needed. Which makes it kind of disappointing that Maroney isn't doing that well...but I can't blame him as it's just a huge pile at the LOS. No thoroughbred type of running back is goign to get through that consistently.

On Eckel, I agree 100%, I was impressed with some of his runs last night. If we HAVE to pund it, I'm ok with Eckel and Evans.

As far as Maroney, I was (am) a huge fan. I remember watching a Minnesota Gophers game back in Marion Barber's Senior year, because I was hoping the Pats would draft him. I remember coming away thinking, Barber looks good, but Maroney, wow !! I came away being way more impressed with Maroney, who was a Sophomore at the time. I still was wishing the Pats would have drafted Barber, but was THRILLED when we got Maroney. Maybe it was the blocking scheme, maybe it was the opponent, but right now, I'd take Barber over Maroney any day of the week (especially Sunday).

I don't know what it is about Maroney, but I don't see a star back. I don't see a back hitting the hole hard and fast (hell Eckel and Evans seem to hit the hole harder and faster). I don't see the speed and moves I saw in college, obviously pro players are faster, but Maroney looks like a different back than the one who ran all over Cincy last year. Maybe it's injuries, maybe it's our offensive scheme, but I liked more what I have seen out of Morris this year than a year and a half out of Maroney. If you look at his overall stats for his career, they don't look bad :

TOTAL 270 1,181 4.4 41 7

But his injury history, his dancing at the line, and his lack of passion (which seems to be a problem) are huge concerns. I think it's too early to write Maroney off, he's a very talented back, but it's NOT too early to be concerned. If we find ourselves in a tough battle during a wintery playoff game, do any of us feel comfortable with him running out the clock like Dillon did in 2004 ? I know I don't.

That being said, I'd love to see the Pats draft a back in the 2008 draft, McFadden may be a fanatsy, I can't see Belichick or Pioli doing that, but I would love a guy like Jonathan Stewart from Oregon, though he may be a first rounder.

based upon what? how has our running game hurt us at all this year? it does what it is designed to do.

It simply has to be addressed. If you don't think so, you might want to get your eyes tested...

Any sane person will agree with me.

It doesn't have to be a first round pick, but it does need to be addressed.

In terms of what Maroney has shown this season, in limited reps, partly due to splitting time early in the year, partly due to blow-outs, I am very happy with how he looks. He has gashed the holes, is top 3 on 1st down carries avg. and looks to be quite useful (and extremely fresh) when and if we may need to lean on him as the weather turns.

I'm surprised no one here has yet put the lie to his "injury" last night. Clearly they figured why pound him if we're already up by so much, and so they held him out the rest of the game. This is a huge luxury that may pan out later in the season and post-season, but all some people seem to do is kill LoMar for stuff that is likely NOT EVEN HAPPENING.

Not a big deal? This kid is hurt ALL the time. He is a first round draft choice. Not to mention when he is healthy he does nothing. Tell me what Maroney has done since week 13 LAST year? The answer is nothing. maroney has done nothing major in 16 games going back to last year.

Maroney is injury prone. He is also not very productive. He makes you say wow at times , but most of the time dances around the gets hurt.

Nope.. having a 100 yard game on 19 carries isn't productive at all.

You just can't stand the fact that he doesn't meet your expectations and you think that everyone should be ballwashing YOU at how "brilliant" you are.

Newsflash for you. Maroney has been productive this year. Especially the 2 games before and 2 games after he got hurt.

Instead of looking at everything with horseblinders on, why don't you expand your mind and look at the entire picture.

1) The Pats were NOT using Maroney as a red zone/ short yardage threat early on. My guess is that they did this to help ensure that his shoulder was ok.

2) Maroney is not injury prone. He's had 2 injuries in his career so far. The rib/shoulder injury and the hamstring injury. They happen to everyone.

3) Maroney has only played in 7 games this season. So is tremendously disigenuous of you to claim he's done nothing in 16 games. OH, btw, I suggest you go back and look at what Maroney did in week 17 and 18 last year.. Kinda blows your whole "he did nothing" for 16 weeks, garbage out of the water... Not to mention 4 good games he had this year.

In terms of what Maroney has shown this season, in limited reps, partly due to splitting time early in the year, partly due to blow-outs, I am very happy with how he looks. He has gashed the holes, is top 3 on 1st down carries avg. and looks to be quite useful (and extremely fresh) when and if we may need to lean on him as the weather turns.

I'm surprised no one here has yet put the lie to his "injury" last night. Clearly they figured why pound him if we're already up by so much, and so they held him out the rest of the game. This is a huge luxury that may pan out later in the season and post-season, but all some people seem to do is kill LoMar for stuff that is likely NOT EVEN HAPPENING.

Several knowledgable posters have mentioned that the Pats didn't need to run Maroney and probably chose to keep him fresh rather than subject him to potential injury in a game that was well in hand.

But, the Maroney bashers would rather ignore that possibility than acknowledge they many not have a clue as to what they are talking about.

Nope.. having a 100 yard game on 19 carries isn't productive at all.

You just can't stand the fact that he doesn't meet your expectations and you think that everyone should be ballwashing YOU at how "brilliant" you are.

Newsflash for you. Maroney has been productive this year. Especially the 2 games before and 2 games after he got hurt.

Instead of looking at everything with horseblinders on, why don't you expand your mind and look at the entire picture.

1) The Pats were NOT using Maroney as a red zone/ short yardage threat early on. My guess is that they did this to help ensure that his shoulder was ok.

2) Maroney is not injury prone. He's had 2 injuries in his career so far. The rib/shoulder injury and the hamstring injury. They happen to everyone.

3) Maroney has only played in 7 games this season. So is tremendously disigenuous of you to claim he's done nothing in 16 games. OH, btw, I suggest you go back and look at what Maroney did in week 17 and 18 last year.. Kinda blows your whole "he did nothing" for 16 weeks, garbage out of the water... Not to mention 4 good games he had this year.

This says it all. The fact you actually thought this up says a lot about you. Maroney is injury prone.

I never said maroney was a bust. I was stating my opinion about Maroney. Fine you dont agree.

One thing is certain. You are going to have a heart attack. Calm down pal.

Last edited:
This says it all. The fact you actually thought this up says a lot about you. Maroney is injury prone.

I never said maroney was a bust. I was stating my opinion about Maroney. Fine you dont agree.

One thing is certain. You are going to have a heart attack. Calm down pal.

Coming from the imbecile who claims I said Meriweather was a fellon (your incorrect spelling, not mine), forgive me if I laugh at you and continue to think you are clueless.

BTW, in the post you quoted, I didn't say you claimed Maroney was a bust. Yes, you are stating your BS flawed opinion over and over again. This is the 4th or 5th thread you rehashed the same BS and totally ignored the big picture.

OH, you are the one who thought up the ball washing comments. I am just using your own stupidity against you.

Well that's simply a facetious argument. Why draft ANYBODY, they could get hurt!!! That's why you have team doctors, and that's why you research the player's injury history before you draft them.

Maroney has demonstrated a tendency to get hurt thus far in his career. It's more than a statistical anomaly and is cause for concern. He got hurt yet AGAIN in tonight's blowout win. Yes the injury gets minimized in the blowout but the fact remains that the Patriots were reliant on 2, not to be mean but.. 2 scrub running backs to run out the remainder of the game against Buffalo.

Buffalo's spirit had already been crushed, so it's not a big deal. But to be smart the Pats should plan for the future. How awful was it when Brady had to rely on Caldwell, Gaffney, and Brown in the AFCCG and just couldn't seal the deal because in part of lack of ability in that group?

The Patriots RB depth has been exposed against Buffalo imo. Hopefully Maroney and Faulk can bounce back quickly, but who knows for sure? And Faulk is getting long in the tooth too. These among other factors are why I feel the Patriots need to target a RB in the upcoming 2008 draft. It's early to talk about the draft, but this is a need that CAN be addressed fairly painlessly. The real question is who should be targetted?

Actually Robert Smith is a GREAT example when talking about backs with injury issues. Perhaps your memory is short so I'll refresh it for you.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/SmitRo00.htm

Robert Smith never had a season where he played all 16 games until his final season, the one before he retired.
In his first 4 seasons he had games played of: 10, 14, 9, and 8. He did have productive, 1000 yard+ seasons in years 5, 6, and 7 but he missed 2, 2, and 3 games each in those respective seasons.
By year 5, when Smith was healthy he was quite productive, but that doesn't change the fact that he left his team hanging without a starting tailback for several games in each year.

Maroney is starting to follow the Robert Smith pattern, which NECESSITATES having a good 1b runningback. If he follows Smith's pattern in year 3 and 4. Well... I really shudder at the thought of having Heath Evans as the lead back in years 3 and 4 of Maroney's career for about HALF of those seasons. Have I made my point clear concerning the depth issue yet?

I think that this is a very fair post on Maroney. I think he is improving as a RB and is hitting the holes better.....The biggest problem is that he is so darned injury prone in his young career. He seems thus far to have serious durability issues......hopefully this is a trend that will stop.....seems like Chad Jackson is having the same issues......time will tell.....but I DO feel like we need to bring in ONE more veteran backup RB as a security blanket......Eckel and Evans are not going to get it done against a good defense.....and eventually we are going to need the running game to win a game.......I'm pulling for LoMo.........GO PATS

I'm worried about Maroney's durability as well. But if you have a "foot injury" would you be standing on the sidelines? Unless a cast is put on your foot, that is just plain stupid. I hope Maroney isn't injuried after carrying the ball just 6 times. Instead, I hope the real reason he didn't play is because he wasn't needed. Maroney hasn't mastered pass blocking yet and if he were in the game, teams would know their running the ball.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes