PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots RB Depth: A serious issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, da bryuinz!
avy
my BIG worry is that he gets hurt against steelers, leaving us with eckel and that kid from navy. IMHO is a eckel and evans are promising backs, cant reely. SOMEONE in yhe front office has to kiss some ass, give up another draft choice, and get anither retired-but- still-in-shape back off the lists. now.
if maroney goes down now, what then?

IMHO maroney is a quality back. i see it on every carry. my theory is he will mature into a reliable, savvy runner. with a great deal more talent tthan one of my favorite players kevin faulk. my hope is that will turn into joseph addai.
yeah i defend the comparison.

Coming from the imbecile who claims I said Meriweather was a fellon (your incorrect spelling, not mine), forgive me if I laugh at you and continue to think you are clueless.

BTW, in the post you quoted, I didn't say you claimed Maroney was a bust. Yes, you are stating your BS flawed opinion over and over again. This is the 4th or 5th thread you rehashed the same BS and totally ignored the big picture.

OH, you are the one who thought up the ball washing comments. I am just using your own stupidity against you.

Na, I wouldnt want to draft one high. Morris had a freak accident and is signed next year. He and Maroney make a great 1-2 punch. If you want a RB, go get Marion Barber. He is a beast and a FA.

What you said.

antowain (take note) was an experienced, pro bowl type back. had already rushed for several thousand. don't remember if he'd gotten playoff time.

eckel, etc. together don't make a pimple.......

Why not? They are at least the equivalent of Antowain.

Last edited:
Patriots RB Depth: A serious issue? No

The Patriots are going to pass first, if a team goes nickel they will pound the ball with whatever scrubs they have.

It is ideal? No
Do have confidence in Maroney? No
Will the Patriots win without a legit #1 RB? Yes

That's kinda how I see it, also.

A couple of more thoughts on our RBs:

I prefer 5 RBs on my 53, esp. if we carry only 2 TEs. Garrett Mills might have been a decent 5th RB because he could have played both backup FB and 3rd TE. The FO took a chance by waiving him and hoping that he passed unclaimed. The Vikings, with their adequate depth at both RB and TE, had no business claiming him. But then, that's one of the reasons they're 4-6. I would have kept Mills on the 53, and left Dave Thomas on the PUP list. An opening-day lineup of Faulk, Morris, Evans, Maroney and Mills would have been OK by me. Each of those 5 would have brought a little something different to the party.

As soon as the FO realized that Morris' injury was season-ending, I had hoped that they would have persued a RB either experienced in carrying the football at the NFL level, or at least with the potential to do so. My first two phone calls would have been to Verron Haynes (the experience) and Ciatrick Fason (the potential). I understand that Eckel assumed Morris' ST duties, and that's important; to me, however, Eckel and Evans are the exact same player, with one difference: Evans' experience, esp. in blocking. I would keep only one of these two, and add either a 3rd TE or a 3rd Running Back.

As for Mr. Maroney, I will hold judgement until the Steelers game, because he won't really be needed until then. I will say, however, that with the exception of his TD, LaMa was "running" very tentatively last night, and his feet were just as healthy at the end as they were at the beginning. There were 3 situations during the game in which I thought that a run instead of a pass would have been more beneficial; after all, having your starting RB establish a stronger rapport with your OL isn't a bad thing, either. But everything's cool right now, so no big deal. I'm just an old smash-mouth fuddy-duddy, that's all.

antowain (take note) was an experienced, pro bowl type back. had already rushed for several thousand. don't remember if he'd gotten playoff time.

eckel, etc. together don't make a pimple.......

Smith only ever cracked 1,000 yards twice, and he never made it to 1,200.

Smith only ever cracked 1,000 yards twice, and he never made it to 1,200.

To be fair, he was only 18 yards short of 1000 in 2002; his season YPC was never below 3.5, and his lifetime YPC was 3.9. Antowain had an unspectacular career, but was solid and dependable (that generous spot in SB38 notwithstanding).

:rofl: :rofl:

*catches breath*

:rofl:

Smith was a serviceable RB at best. "Pro Bowl" RB? Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes