PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots no longer last ranked defense in NFL (Packers Are) (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're both average defenses that let up alot of yards and make up for it by creating turnovers. The Patriots do it with coaching, the Packers do it with superior individual talent.

It would be a fun SB matchup. The NFL would cream themselves.

Re: Pats defense

Funny how the packers and pats are both number one seed for the playoffs, futher proves that stats are for losers!

Hard to believe that a defense that has Charles Woodson,Clay Matthews and B.J. Raji is last in the NFL

Hard to believe that a defense that has Charles Woodson,Clay Matthews and B.J. Raji is last in the NFL

at least those guys are playmakers. I haven't checked but the Packers have to lead the NFL in turnovers, or at least be near the top.

at least those guys are playmakers. I haven't checked but the Packers have to lead the NFL in turnovers, or at least be near the top.

Yes, they lead the NFL in turnovers. But they're also the worst in the NFL at forcing punts.

The 2011 Packers defense is exactly the same as the 2010 Pats defense. Bad at yards, the best at turnovers, average at points, and screwed as soon as their opponents stop throwing picks.

Woodson has forced turnovers, but his age is showing in coverage. Matthews wasn't nearly the playmaker that he's been in recent seasons. Ninkovich ended up with a half sack more than Matthews, for goodness sakes. And Raji was horrific this season. But thanks to injuries, they didn't really have any other choice but to keep using him. Name any one of the Packers' defenders (perhaps other than Bishop, I suppose), and that player wasn't nearly as good as you probably think he was.

Thank Matthew Stanford.

Also, Matthew has now thrown for above 5,000 yards. :eek:

i love it that the packers have the worst defense. espn may just implode in on itself. i might watch those idiots now. this should be fun.

i love it that the packers have the worst defense. espn may just implode in on itself. i might watch those idiots now. this should be fun.

This. WTG Packers! Got yourself the "worst defense in the NFL award" while going 15-1 and you unveiled your secret weapon, Matt Flynn! May the NFC tremble before him.

season's not over. Patriots could be one and done while the Packers have playoff success... who would have the worst defense then?

I really don't get why people keep trying to defend the Pats D by implying they're not awful... because they ARE

season's not over. Patriots could be one and done while the Packers have playoff success... who would have the worst defense then?

I really don't get why people keep trying to defend the Pats D by implying they're not awful... because they ARE

There not awful in points and turn overs. The 2 most important stats.. Yeah they give up a lot of big plays but you cant deny the fact over the last few games ..after they take a few hay makers the pats D makes adjustments and slows the other teams offense down.

The D and the O cant get off to slow starts in the play offs though at least 1 side of the ball has to come out on fire.. to let the other 1 settle in. I don't think I have been this intrigued about a Patriots team going into the play offs.. I either thought they had no chance.. or that they were the favored to win it all.. This year I just have no clue.

Pats defense is ranked better than the defending Super Bowl champs! Hello number four!

I'm just glad we'll finally stop hearing about this.

Woo Hoo! Now what are the talking heads going to say during the next 2 weeks? This has really screwed them.
Shhh. The media doesn't want to report facts or come to a reasonable conclusion. They want a reason to throw goodteams (specifically the Patriots) under the bus. I recall how there were discussions how the Pats would be HISTORICALLY the worst defense ever. Now that the packers are as bad or worse, that should stop.

We'll until someone defends the packers by saying how they rested defensive starters (if that even happened).

Shhh. The media doesn't want to report facts or come to a reasonable conclusion. They want a reason to throw goodteams (specifically the Patriots) under the bus. I recall how there were discussions how the Pats would be HISTORICALLY the worst defense ever. Now that the packers are as bad or worse, that should stop.

We'll until someone defends the packers by saying how they rested defensive starters (if that even happened).

They did. Matthews and Woodson did not play.

They will amazingly not be the worst ranked defense by yards.

Green Bay 411.6 ypg
Pats 411.1 ypg

And on passing yards yep not last anymore

Green Bay 299.8 ypg (4796 total yards)
Pats 293.9 ypg (4703 total yards)

LOL, Belichick is a defensive genius.......:D

What if the Packers are one and done? Then who has the worst defense?

I'd say this lends credence to the claim that yards allowed is not the right statistic to use for ranking defenses.

Maybe those players are somewhat overrated?

People are laughing at the mediots because they show zero understanding of the game.

That's the same treatment deserving for the buffoons who show up here clueless and why they are being laughed at because they think the defense has been "terrible".

Football games are 60 minutes that have individual situations that interconnect.

It's perfectly understandable (it's actually obviously obvious) why the Packers and Patriots and Saints have among the "worst" defenses.

All it takes is an IQ north of...............................

And as expected, from Peter King's "Fine Fifteen":

"
1. Green Bay (15-1). Doubt it will matter, but sitting Aaron Rodgers Sunday means 20 days between Rodgers playing in a game ... between the Dec. 25 game versus Chicago and the Jan. 15 divisional tilt.

4. New England (13-3). Not to rain on the Pats' top-seeded parade or anything, but foes threw for 4,703 yards on New England this year. That's so bad it's almost scandalous -- 1,348 more yards in the air than the Patriots allowed in 2009.

Ahem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results