Not open for further replies.

Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Patriots mailbag: Examining Joe Thuney’s recent performance, Kenny Britt’s future involvement

Is it becoming apparent Joe Thuney is a liability in pass protection? He seems too light and not stout enough against bigger defensive tackles.
—@MikeSmitty63

The recent criticism of Thuney has been fair, but it’s important to keep it in perspective. He has allowed three sacks in his past two games but hadn’t allowed any in his first 11 outings. That’s similar to last season when he didn’t surrender a sack against Tom Brady until Week 15 (there had been a garbage-time sack against Jimmy Garoppolo in Week 8) and finished with four total. I think it’s safe to attribute that to the rookie wall, but it didn’t hinder the Patriots during their run to the Super Bowl.

Thuney has mostly been good this season. His three sacks allowed are tied with right guard Shaq Mason for the fewest on the team among the starters. However, there has been some streakiness to his game. His 11 quarterback hits are the second most behind left tackle Nate Solder’s 13. But take a closer look, and Thuney allowed three hits against the Texans and three against the Chargers, both of whom presented two of the greatest challenges to the Patriots this season. Obviously, you can’t just dismiss those games, but it shows Thuney has been pretty good on his good days. The last two weeks (three sacks, one hit, one pressure, one holding penalty) have not been good days.

The size thing is also overblown. At 6-foot-5 at 305 pounds, he is comparable to former left guard Logan Mankins (6-foot-4, 308 pounds) and bigger than center David Andrews (6-foot-3, 295 pounds) and Mason (6-foot-1, 310 pounds). Thuney is more of a technician than Mankins was or Mason is now, so I’m not comparing his strength to those two. (And quite frankly, I’d never compare anyone to Mankins, who was the best lineman of the Bill Belichick era.) But Thuney’s size and athleticism fits the mold of the Patriots’ preference at guard.

Finally, it’s Thuney’s second season. Just look at the progress Mason made from year two to year three. I still believe Thuney has long-term potential.

My only question, which may never be answered, why were the Patriots so hot on Dan Feeney in April’s draft? It’s been fairly well-documented the Patriots essentially decided to trade down once Feeney was taken off the board in the third round. He plays left guard for the Chargers but was viewed as a versatile interior lineman before the draft, so was he considered with Thuney in mind? Or Andrews, who signed an extension after the draft? Or did they not expect Mason to take such a rapid jump this season? Or since the Pats cut Ted Karras at the end of training camp, maybe they simply wanted to improve their depth on the interior line. Maybe Belichick will answer that question through actions in the upcoming free agency period or draft.

Good read. He also discusses Kenny Britt's potential role in the offense this Sunday. Gives you hope that Thuney will rebound eventually (hopefully starting this weekend) from what was otherwise a piss-poor outing in Miami.

Speaking of Howe, he had this little nugget in his current Gronk related article (Rob Gronkowski out to pay back the Patriots for his suspension):

All the while, wideout Chris Hogan returned from a four-game absence due to a shoulder injury that continued to bother him so badly that he dropped his arm in agony after attempting to block for Dion Lewis on a second-quarter screen pass

Maybe adds a bit more context to the Britt acquisition but still leaves me wondering why leave Dorsett on the bench for the entire game if Hogan is not fully healthy yet.

Last edited:
Speaking of Howe, he had this little nugget in his current Gronk related article (Rob Gronkowski out to pay back the Patriots for his suspension):

Maybe adds a bit more context to the Britt acquisition but still leaves me wondering why leave Dorsett on the bench for the entire game if Hogan is not fully healthy yet.

IDK. Dorsett was targeted once against MIA two weeks ago, and he caught it for a 38yd gain (his third of the year over 20 and second for over 35).

Also, why activate (injured foot) Wise for a mere 16 snaps and make Harris officially inactive when the LB corps was fairly weak?

There were a number of head-scratcher decisions made in that game.

IDK. Dorsett was targeted once against MIA two weeks ago, and he caught it for a 38yd gain (his third of the year over 20 and second for over 35).

Also, why activate (injured foot) Wise for a mere 16 snaps and make Harris officially inactive when the LB corps was fairly weak?

There were a number of head-scratcher decisions made in that game.

My only guess is because they saw from the Denver film that the Dolphins may have been planning to use Drake more in the passing game and wanted to avoid situations where Harris was in coverage against him. I have no idea. Even Harris, at 683 years old, seems like a better option in coverage than Roberts.

My only guess is because they saw from the Denver film that the Dolphins may have been planning to use Drake more in the passing game and wanted to avoid situations where Harris was in coverage against him. I have no idea. Even Harris, at 683 years old, seems like a better option in coverage than Roberts.

Well, in fairness to Harris, he doesn't turn 684 until AFCCG Sunday.

Yeah, I thought Harris could have at least helped strengthen the middle while possibly freeing another LB to play more edge-contain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3