PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Lose Two OTAs Due To Rule Violation

Supposedly BB is a believer in "attention to details".
This incident shows that Judge does not pay attention to important details. Since Judge reports in to Bill, BB is responsible.
Bill also did not pay attention to details with the incident in Cincinnati.

Will it make a difference in the grand scheme of things, probably not...but its a sign that the organization as a whole is failing in oversight and details.

The excuse that "the meetings were not mandatory" is pretty lame. every player on the team knows that BB and Judge will note who did and did not come to the "optional meeting" and it would be held against them.

Last edited:
This incident shows that Judge does not pay attention to important details. Since Judge reports in to Bill, BB is responsible.

Bill has nothing to do with Kraft Films and anything that happens outside of the normal FOOTBALL OPERATIONS

Of course he's not going to pay attention to details of something that is outside of his area of responsibility

All of these rules & regs are so damn many & complicated now that the league has to ass-ign someone to Each team just to try to help explain them...
The league makes the rules, explains them to teams, and collects money (fines) when teams break the rules.

anybody else see a perverse incentive affecting the quality of explanations?

The league makes the rules, explains them to teams, and collects money (fines) when teams break the rules.

anybody else see a perverse incentive affecting the quality of explanations?
The really weird thing about this is that it seems the rep on the premises was not all that bothered by what they did.

He merely pointed out that there could be an interpretation discrepancy about something on the schedule looking more official or mandatory.

It was only after the Patriots self-reported it that they were killed by the league office.

But hey, as long as the NFL office wants to keep putting out a crappy product for a sport that is highly synchronized and which looks like walruses wrestling in a mud pit when it's not (with frequent stoppages for false starts, etc.) then go ahead keep doing this!!!

Last edited:
It sounds like they were trying to get cute with the rules again by saying the meeting wasn't mandatory so it wasn't on the schedule and they didn't take attendance.
He can't manage a lemonade stand.. the guys a fake hardo.. I gave him credit for being a good STs coach however that's debatable.. even though this is miniscule.. it just goes back to the same guy JOE Fnnn JUDGE. The herald reports last season identified him as the main issue with Mac and the offense.

We know how much the team loves to save money.. 50k is a drop in the bucket however it's still money they had to pay.. I guess having judge on the Giants dime provides alot of tolerance huh..

Will it make a difference in the grand scheme of things, probably not...but its a sign that the organization as a whole is failing in oversight and details.

The excuse that "the meetings were not mandatory" is pretty lame. every player on the team knows that BB and Judge will note who did and did not come to the "optional meeting" and it would be held against them.
People, and head football coaches, aren't perfect.

And head football coaches tend to be arrogant. It's how they get hired, and often how they lead, and win.

Robert Kraft did not hire Parcells and never treated him with the authority and control that was in the terms of his deal with Orthwein.

And Kraft, like a lot of owners, is stubborn and wants his way.

Belichick's disdain and disgust with NFL rules management and enforcement has been very thinly veiled since 2001.

You could make a good case that all the FakeGates may never have happened if Bill just accepted that the league is run by fools and that's the way life is. So, in this way it's the Patriots' fault - even though they never cheated.

Belichick has NEVER been about PR, appearances or showmanship - it's why the media loves Parcells and hates Belichick.

Now, Kraft and Belichick get along. The way Kraft & Bledsoe get along. I think, because the latters 'know their place'. Brady didn't.

All I'm saying is that media narratives are often nonsense. Belichick is what he is, he has lots of positive attributes, especially defensively, and his experience and perspective often make up for his shortcomings, which you are obviously well aware of.

So I don't mind your criticism. The fundamental flaws in this organization have been there throughout the Kraft ownership - and largely were there prior. Nobody's perfect.

It's fun to appreciate the good things we have, and hope that things work out. In spite of all the flaws.

And head football coaches tend to be arrogant. It's how they get hired, and often how they lead, and win.

Robert Kraft did not hire Parcells and never treated him with the authority and control that was in the terms of his deal with Orthwein.

Belichick's disdain and disgust with NFL rules management and enforcement has been very thinly veiled since 2001.

You could make a good case that all the FakeGates may never have happened if Bill just accepted that the league is run by fools and that's the way life is. So, in this way it's the Patriots' fault - even though they never cheated.

Belichick has NEVER been about PR, appearances or showmanship - it's why the media loves Parcells and hates Belichick.

Now, Kraft and Belichick get along. The way Kraft & Bledsoe get along. I think, because the latters 'know their place'. Brady didn't.

All I'm saying is that media narratives are often nonsense. Belichick is what he is, he has lots of positive attributes, especially defensively, and his experience and perspective often make up for his shortcomings, which you are obviously well aware of.

So I don't mind your criticism. The fundamental flaws in this organization have been there throughout the Kraft ownership - and largely were there prior. Nobody's perfect.

It's fun to appreciate the good things we have, and hope that things work out. In spite of all the flaws.
I don't think deflategate could have been avoided by Bill unless he has the power to change physics, the whole thing was made up.

Well, I don't agree, but this board has been over these issues a million times. Is it worth it?

Belichick wasn't involved in Deflategate. He was involved in Spygate. That became a thing after a memo was issued in 2006. Guess what? Belichick abided by that memo. When Belichick and the Patriots reported the Jets for filming in 2006, the NFL said, "That's football!" So... what would you have interpreted as the league's position on filming?

I don't think deflategate could have been avoided by Bill unless he has the power to change physics, the whole thing was made up.
As Felger & Holley helpfully :rolleyes: pointed out right away, the Patriots are "repeat offenders" and commit "recidivism". CryGate laid the foundation for DefameGate.

Belichick wasn't involved in Deflategate.
Nobody was involved, nobody on the Patriots did anything.

The only time we actually...did...something was when Bill had some team staffers doing nothing illegal and nothing wrong in the first half of the first game of a season in a location at Giants Stadium which the league deemed to be 'unauthorized'. Mangini knew he would do it and told Bill not to beforehand, and Bill was like, 'Screw this, it's bullsh*t' and as happens in life, the fact that it's true and it is bullsh*t doesn't matter.

Bill was also like, 'Screw you you ungrateful prick, go take your stupid high paying head coaching job which you'd never have got without me and go ahead and complain to the league if you want! IDGAF!'

Don't know how much Bill had to do with the Cincinnati mess-up... Regardless, this has not had the look of a tightly-run ship ever since he over-ruled his scouts while they were on the clock with their 1st-round pick of 2019...

In the voice of John McEnroe, you cannot be serious:

"
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, it was a meeting violation. According to the source, an observer from the NFL Players Association believed that one of the optional early offseason meetings was a violation, because the 15-minute meeting in question (a special-teams session) was made visible on the internal schedule. In the opinion of the NFLPA, placing the meeting on the formal schedule converted it from “optional” to “mandatory.”

The violation, per the source, had nothing to do with activities on the practice field, including whether or not there was impermissible contact.
Given the consequences, it was an unforced error that forces the Patriots to lose 20 percent of their OTA sessions for 2023."
How is a player supposed to know about an optional meeting if it's not listed on the schedule?

Bill is slowly turning this franchise into a laughingstock. No other person in the league would keep buffoons like Joe Judge and Cam Achord on staff...yet here we are, and the Pats are losing valuable practice time because these to jackholes go HardO during meetings

How is a player supposed to know about an optional meeting if it's not listed on the schedule?

It can be on the schedule, but has to be noted as optional, which it was not.

And then there's this.

I don't know if this was mentioned, but they voluntarily canceled two OTA's last year, so maybe they had some purpose. Perhaps the 15 minutes added to the remaining OTA practices is worth the extra two practices to them.

Last edited:
I don't know if this was mentioned, but they voluntarily canceled two OTA's last year, so maybe they had some purpose. Perhaps the 15 minutes added to the remaining OTA practices is worth the extra two practices to them.
They wanted at least one of those OTA's (some media members were a little perplexed by the cancellation since it was the first one with media availability). The team tried to spin it like they were cancelling them (a la last year) instead of being taken away by the league.

They wanted at least one of those OTA's (some media members were a little perplexed by the cancellation since it was the first one with media availability). The team tried to spin it like they were cancelling them (a la last year) instead of being taken away by the league.

But was it a spin?

Hard to figure what is going on.

The action seemed almost intentional based on what Brier reported, plus they canceled two last year.

It can be on the schedule, but has to be noted as optional, which it was not.

And then there's this.

Sounds like moving forward all ota schedules and paperwork need to be watermarked with the word optional... And all meeting rooms need an end of class bell

Sounds like moving forward all ota schedules and paperwork need to be watermarked with the word optional... And all meeting rooms need an end of class bell

The NFLPA allows more Thursday Night Football, Christmas Eve games, longer seasons, horrible salary cap for player etc., but woah boy if a meeting is 15 minutes longer during June when it's to the players' advantage to get in this work.

Complete joke.

I think youre off your rocker with much of your post but I am with you on the mandatory meeting thing. We all know employers who say something is optional but give you the wink wink nudge nudge that it would be great for your career if you do it

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back