PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots gauging trade market for Kony Ealy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sergio Brown. Did you watch his play? OK let's say he was just the backup #2 to the starting FS.
I agree. Brown sucks eggs. He was cheaper and its just the way the depth chart was as Sanders was not recovering from his injury as fast and in the way they expected him.

As you know well if you are old or hurt or not an high impact player but make really good money/high cap hit, you are either asked to take pay cut, traded or released.

Thats what happened to Sanders.

Last edited:
I wasn't a fan of Ealy but I definitely see improvement. Either way, our pass rush isn't going to be that bad whether he stays or not. We still have Flowers, so it is really about replacing the consistent effort and hustle that Long gave us last year. So far it looks like Langi is the one preparing to fill that void. Ealy will most likely stay when you consider that we lost Rivers and that both Hightower and McClellin are beat up.

I wasn't a fan of Ealy but I definitely see improvement. Either way, our pass rush isn't going to be that bad whether he stays or not. We still have Flowers, so it is really about replacing the consistent effort and hustle that Long gave us last year. So far it looks like Langi is the one preparing to fill that void. Ealy will most likely stay when you consider that we lost Rivers and that both Hightower and McClellin are beat up.
I see little possibility of Flowers playing both DE spots and both backup DE spots.

Seriously, I don't see us moving Ealy, even if there is a trade in the works. It would hard to understand Ealy not being good enough to be our 14th front seven defensive player.

I'm sorry but I'm not feeling the panic of this D being unable to rush the QB consistently. This team will generate pressure when they need to. Plus with better pass coverage, it'll help the cause.

I was a helluva lot more concerned when Jones was ditched than I am now.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Defense and Pass Pressure, 2016

Quite frankly, with losing Sheard, Long and Nink is a lot of experience and stout run defense walking out the door. Thats my concern. Stopping the run on the edge.

I see little possibility of Flowers playing both DE spots and both backup DE spots.

Seriously, I don't see us moving Ealy, even if there is a trade in the works. It would hard to understand Ealy not being good enough to be our 14th front seven defensive player.

OK, but you overlook the possibility of Jamie Collins Syndrome.
IF BB concludes that Ealy is a bad locker room influence on the young players and/or IF the guy literally takes plays off and/or freelances assignments repeatedly, he is GONE.

I'm rooting for him to make a good contribution to the Pats.

Patriots gauging trade market for Kony Ealy

gas-guage-generic.jpg

I'm gonna call total BS on this. The Pats are the most close mouthed team in football (maybe sports). No way they'd leak this kind of info to "sources".

I'm gonna call total BS on this. The Pats are the most close mouthed team in football (maybe sports). No way they'd leak this kind of info to "sources".

We've heard things about players before they were cut or moved, likely done on purpose. This could very well have been the team sending a message or letting other teams know they're interested in moving him or it could have been one the teams they called leaking it.

There's plenty of legit reasons why this could have actually happened it's not like we never learn anything about what is going on the lockeroom until after the fact. There are plenty of times we've gotten hints.

Things change quickly during preseason (I remember a story from last year's preseason about how Bennett is not a lock to make the 53). Ealy looked better lately, another good game tonight and there will be stories about how he figured it out and so on.

Sorry, but I think some of y'all are pretty gullible.
I suggest you reread his tweet.
Here's how I read it: the guy heard that at some point( could have been 2 months ago), Pats were open to possibility of trading him. Duh!??!!
That's not news.
He then goes on to say ealy is " settling in lately,though".
The dude just wanted to tweet something that made sound like he had some inside info.
LMFAO
Common sense says they're not trading him,especially since he's shown improvement.

Kony will light it up tonight in Detroit

I would rather Kony Ealy over Geno Gruesome. How many ST's players do you need Geno haven't shown jack $h!t yet.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: TBR
Does this smell like "Randy Moss about to be Cut" to anyone else?

I agree with you it would be shocking (and I wouldn't do it looking from the outside), but there is some precedent for it. In 2006 BB traded Deion Branch even though our next best WR was Reche Caldwell, and I want to say 2011 (someone can correct me) he cut Meriweather and another safety I believe and left us pretty thin there. I think when he doesn't like someone, he's going to get rid of them regardless of other factors. Not saying that's going to happen here, just that it has before.

And we paid the price for both poor decisions. Even though the team was ill and there was clearly biased officiating. We could have still beaten the Dolts if 'ol bug eyes hadn't dropped two wide open passes. Then in 2011 he dumps Meriweather and James Sanders for Sergio Brown, Josh Barrett, and Matthew Slater. Yuck!

Edit: Thinking about it I can't believe after 2006 he allowed the same thing to happen in 2013. Edelman (who wasn't edelman yet), Amendola (torn groin from week 1 forward), Aaron Dropson, Kembrell Thompkins, Josh Boyce (whose actually still in the league), Gronk (coming off breaking his forearm twice then having his season ended by a T.J. Ward cheapshot), Hooman, and Mathew freaking Mulligan. Of course the unforeseen issues with a certain player contributed.

Last edited:
In 2006 BB traded Deion Branch even though our next best WR was Reche Caldwell,

In 2006, Branch was actively shooting his way out of Dodge during his contract year. He had rejected a 3-year/$18M extension offer, held out, demanded a trade, and then sued the Pats for bargaining in bad faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents