PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots CUTS

Brady was just cut. Sucks but whatever

Benard is mildly surprising. Oh well.

I think he saw a lot of reps because of the Cunningham injury, and for what it’s worth Benard didn’t really do much with the reps. Benard if you asked in April the majority of us would of saw this cut as a no brainer, then he had what was reported to be a big camp so everyone started considering him a lock, then we saw him in preseason and started to question it, and now we have are answer.

Decent player, he will likely latch on elsewhere, he is much better suited for an edge position than as a 3tech sub rusher as we’ve used him.

I could cut a boat load right now:

Quentin Sims
Ja'Gared Davis
Jeff Tarpinian
Kanorris Davis
Justin Green
Stephon Morris
Ryan Allen

Patriots Roster Tracker 2013

I think cutting Quentin Sims would be a mistake. I think he's got a lot of potential and I think another team would pick him up from waivers. Especially a team like San Fran who is hurting at WR right now because of Manningham and Crabtree going on the PUP list for them.

Parsing words is an exercise of the small-minded. If we are going to argue.... argue the larger point.

None of us know what's is BB is thinking, I just personally think that he has a plan that involves keeping 3 QB's this years, one of which is going to be Tebow. Like it or not, Tebow, because of the position that he plays is not exactly in the same category as many of he other players on the list like Tarpinian. It's not even like he's in a QB battle for the 2nd spot. I think that Mallet that spot CLEARLY belongs to Mallet. So if he's not gone already, I think he is staying.

p.s. I wouldn't rule out a late Mallet for XX player trade, leaving just Tebow as #2. But let's not go there yet, as most people's head would explode at the thought.

For all the Tavon Wilson haters out there, the Bears cut Brandon Hardin. He was drafted 79th overall in the same draft class as Tavon Wilson.

I think cutting Quentin Sims would be a mistake. I think he's got a lot of potential and I think another team would pick him up from waivers. Especially a team like San Fran who is hurting at WR right now because of Manningham and Crabtree going on the PUP list for them.

And who do you keep off the roster because you want to keep Quentin Sims on the roster? And how much playing time is Sims going to get exactly?

For all the Tavon Wilson haters out there, the Bears cut Brandon Hardin. He was drafted 79th overall in the same draft class as Tavon Wilson.

Brandon Hardin getting cut doesn't make Wilson a better player.

I would agree that he has a lot of potential, but disagree that he would be snatched off of waivers. I could be wrong there, but I think there are better veteran plug and play players that might be more attractive than a clear "project" like Sims.

That said, it would be a nerve-wracking 24 hours for me if he is cut. I would like this guy on the practice squad if he doesn't make the 53 out-right.

Please point out where I said that.

You didn't. You made a completely irrelevant post about Tavon Wilson and Mr. Hardin, however, drawing a comparison.

And who do you keep off the roster because you want to keep Quentin Sims on the roster? And how much playing time is Sims going to get exactly?

I guess you missed it. The Pats are a bit short on capable TEs. So, keeping an extra receiver could easily be done.

Players who didn't impress and who I would definitely keep Sims in favor of.
Marquice Cole, Nate Ebner, Jeff Tarpinian, Branden Bolden, Justin Green, Ryan Allen, Leon Washington, Kanorris Davis, Michael Hoomanawanui, James Develin

Considering how often Edelman gets hurt, Sims could easily see playing time before the end of the season.

I guess you missed it. The Pats are a bit short on capable TEs. So, keeping an extra receiver could easily be done.

Marquice Cole, Nate Ebner, Jeff Tarpinian, Branden Bolden, Justin Green, Ryan Allen, Leon Washington, Kanorris Davis, Michael Hoomanawanui, James Develin

Considering how often Edelman gets hurt, Sims could easily see playing time before the end of the season.

Honestly though these types of cross-comparisons are limited in their usefulness. For example, it wouldn't make sense to carry a 7th wide receiver in lieu of a 5th cornerback/ace special teamer.

Brandon Hardin getting cut doesn't make Wilson a better player.

I'm not sure what he was saying, but I interpret this move as meaning that Wilson and Bequette are by no means safe.

He had a putrid preseason and I am surprised his name wasn't on the list today. But since it wasn't, you are probably right.

Putrid preseason, while putrid is a great word it may be a bit of an overstatement, Mr. Wilson did not appear to make the 2nd year leap that many of us had hoped, but I did not see anything that was putrid in his preseason games, he got beat 1on1 in the Bucs game, in which the Bucs went at him 3 straight times, you’d have to believe that in a regular season game we’d send some help his direction in that situation, he is a safety after all, not a cornerback, so 1on1 against receivers isn’t generally going to be a strength.

He will make the team, and based on some of the cuts we’ve seen today like Benard, and Fells we may not be privy to what actually is going on because the media outlets spoke glowingly about both of them and they’re purchasing plane tickets (hopefully from Delta) right now and hoping their agents can land them a workout.

Also SB aren’t you a Tebow fan, I would think you of all people wouldn’t want players fates determined by “putrid preseasons”.

Honestly though these types of cross-comparisons are limited in their usefulness. For example, it wouldn't make sense to carry a 7th wide receiver in lieu of a 5th cornerback/ace special teamer.

Cole is no Ace Special teamer regardless of what anyone says..

They would only be 6 WRs:
Edleman, Amendola, Boyce, Dobson, Thompkins, Sims.

I don't count Slater as a WR. He's a TRUE special teams ACE...

Sure. Good for him. But is it good for the Patriots?

We all know Belichick loves to screw with the media even if he is cutting Tebow he’d wait till 5:59pm tomorrow to do it, not to mention do you know how many #5 jerseys can be sold in the 25 hours 10 minutes? We Rich shmessy, We RICH!!:rocker:

How can anyone who watched the preseason games and last year's games not appreciate how underrated and important to the Patriots Marquice Cole is. He is far more productive than "third nipple" Jake Bequette who is not on your list. Can ANYONE tell me what Jake Bequette brings to the table, because over 2 TC's and one full season, I have yet to find any evidence of this guy doing anything other than be able to put on his shoulder pad well.

I also have to disagree with you regarding Hoomanawanui (I don't wanna go with dressing 1 TE for the first 4-6 games) and Bolden - - good potential RB and already a solid STer. We will be short on TE's the first 4-6 games, I see BB keeping 5 RB's but if one were to be cut it should be Washington. Great guy, but didn't see much lateral quickness from him anymore. Unfortunately, he looks like final year versions of Kevin Faulk or Deion Branch out there.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back