Welcome to PatsFans.com

Patriots are early 3.5 point favorites over the Giants

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by VOODOOZF, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VOODOOZF

VOODOOZF Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

2. English Patriot

English Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Makes sense, the bookmakers go by seeding and have each round we've played. Big margin against Denver, 1 TD margin against Ravens and FG in the SB.

As the Number 1 seed in the SB we should be at least slight favourites and i'd feel very disrespected if we weren't but hey then again let people take us lightly and Tom, Vince and co will make em eat crow.
  3. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    I was hoping they'd be the dog.I'll be on the Giants.Was on Balt yesterday with the points.Had the best of both worlds. A Pats win and a Balt. cover.
  4. JJDChE

JJDChE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Makes sense in the context of betting. People love betting on the Pats.

Back over here in reality, the Giants should be favored. They beat us at home without one of their starting WRs and they are playing their best ball of the year, right now.
  5. RealityCheck52

RealityCheck52 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

This won't even be close.

Giants by 10+.
  6. Dutchmaster617

Dutchmaster617 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

We are playing our best too, 10 game win streak is the most since 2007's 18. We are not playing Sergio brown in key moments, and our line is getting pressure (keep in mind 20 hits and 6 sacks on Eli last night).
  7. Ice Cold Bruschi

Ice Cold Bruschi Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I can't see how we're favored in this one honestly. The Giants beat us at home earlier this year without Bradshaw or Nicks. Not only that but if I had to guess which way the crowd at the game is leaning, I'd guess Giants since they seem to travel a bit better than we do.
  8. Fball

Fball Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I don't really get these pronouncements. In a very unpredictable year, 2 teams are meeting in the SB that share quite a bit in common. Brady is as good as there is, and can light up any D on any given day.

The Pats are just as likely to win by 10 or more, imo. Or, it could just be a shootout w/ the final possession determining the outcome.

I wouldn't bet either way on this game.
  9. cmasspatsfan

cmasspatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

We were missing guys that game too, I think Hernandez was out and a couple other key guys.
  10. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#70 Jersey
    Hernandez played. Spikes and Chung also both played but both got injured in the game. It was also Albert's last game with the Pats.

The "media picks" thread the week before the game should be interesting. Really, if anyone beside Reiss, McGinest and Rodney pick the Pats, I'll be surprised.
  11. Luke Skywelker

Luke Skywelker Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Spread aside, the majority of experts are going to be picking the Giants in this one, and with good reason. The only reason the Pats are favored is because of brand, perception and respect. Because matchup, regular season duel, balance, recent accomplishments are all on the Giants side.
  12. Doctor DDS

Doctor DDS Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

My guess is the line will drop closer to even by game time but it does make sense to favor the Pats. Pats were 13-3, Giants 9-7. (negative point differential) Giants lost what appeared to be a must win game to the Redskins late in the year. They were also down 12 to the Cowboys late in the 4th before pulling it out. Both the Pats and Giants were fortunate to win last night. Manning had a couple easy picks dropped because 49er defenders ran into each other and w/o the punts return gaffes who knows what happens. Giants are heathier and obviously playing well right now and can certainly win the game but let's not make them out to be some sort of juggernaut.
  13. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    This is what I posted yesterday until one of the footie pajama mods put my thread in another forum.This place is worse than MSNBC.
    So far in the playoffs I can tell you that the dogs have dominated the playoffs.
    I was sick to my stomach when I saw the Pats as favorites for the SB. I don't think they have any shot against the Giants.They have a real QB with real recivers and a D as good as the Ravens.
    My hope is Brady has super performance like he does after a piss poor performance.
    Pats lose turnover battle 3-1,Flacco outplays Brady and the Pats still win?
    You gotta believe.Patriots are playing with house money IMO like the Giants were in 07.
  14. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Thanks for weighing in. Since your foresight was so good last week, this prediction means all that much more.
  15. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#70 Jersey
    I agree the Pats are playing with house money because a lot of people thought they wouldn't get here. But I'm not sure you can say "dogs have dominated" when the Pats have won both games after entering as favorites.
  16. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +81 / 1 / -2

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Based on what? Sour grapes? The offense played, BY FAR, their worst game of the year against the league's best remaining defense and still won the game. There was a reason why your guys were kicking for OT and not the win, and that's because the better team won in spite of Brady sucking badly. You really think #12 is going to have two games like that in a row?

That said, I would take the Giants. But this game is going to be close. Very close. I think you're letting the fact that your team lost yesterday cloud your thinking.
  17. PatriotSeven

PatriotSeven Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

No they won't. And you have it completely backwards. Patriots are favored because they are the better team on all aspects of the ball.

None of what you say are on the Giants side. None of it. Everything the Patriots accomplished so far in the playoffs are on their side. Nothing the Giants have done has actually shown confidence.

The Patriots not only beat a playoff team with a winning record, but have done it in a fashion only two other teams in history have done, and done it with a - turnover margin. Both of those teams went on to win the Super Bowl.

The Giants beat their opponents, but their opponents looked nothing like they did in the regular season.

Atlanta scored 3 points.
    GB had 3 turnovers and the most efficient quarterback in football lost the interception battle.
    The 49ers who led the league in takeaways were a -2 at home.

I wanna see the Giants beat a team who doesn't beat itself before I am convinced. I saw the Patriots do that yesterday, despite their - turnover margin. They haven't done that.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  18. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    True. But I'm talking spread wise the dogs have dominated.
    Pats 31-30 but for amusment purposes I'm taking the Giants and the points.
  19. deroc5050

deroc5050 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Really? Go back and look at the first match up.. and look at the game objectively. We played horrible that day (4 turn overs)and it took a last minute drive by the giants to win.

This week really boils down to our O line against there D line. If we beat them up front Brady can have a field day with this giants defense. The Ravens have much better cover safeties with ladarius web and Ed Reed. the Giants dont have that luxury to play the way the ravens did.
    Its a completely different defense, its going to be a great game.

I think this game is a coin flip.. Another great match up.
  20. Double TE

Double TE The Best in the World PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

NYG has a better D...at least D line. Their receivers are better and their RBs are better. Our advantage is at TE and QB (not significant based on the aforementioned D lines). Not sure what any of this means other than the fact that players will need to make plays. TB cannot miss wide open targets or throw balls up for grabs in triple coverage. We cannot fumble on special teams and we need to run the ball effectively.

It may come down to last possession wins. I hope we can get them but I am uneasy. Very uneasy.
  21. PatriotSeven

PatriotSeven Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

That's the debatable. What's not is The Patriots have a better OVERALL defense.

And yes TB CAN throw balls up for grabs in triple coverage because he's smart enough to know when it's ok to do it. Obviously. Eli can't though. Eli has to play perfect. Brady doesn't.

If both teams play perfect, Patriots will beat them soundly.
    If both teams play averages, Patriots will beat them soundly.
    If Patriots play average and Giants play average, Patriots win a close game.
    If Patriots play like crap, they lose. And it would probably still be a close game.

This Giants lost games by:

13 points on Dec 18th to one of the most inefficient teams in football, Washington.
    25 points to the Saints.
    7 to Philadelphia, another terrible inefficient offense.
    7 to the 49ers the first time around when they were -1 in takeaways, yet could only beat them by 3 despite a +2 turnover margin(Where the hell is the improvement? There is none.)
    11 points to Seattle
    14 points to Washington.

The Giants are good. The Patriots are great.

The worst loss of the season for the Patriots was by 8 points and the other two were by 4 points or less.

It's all about the turnovers. If the Giants lose this battle, it will not come down to the last possession. It will end in the third quarter.
  22. Double TE

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I hope you're right as this looks like a different NYG team in the playoffs. Did anyone see how Wash was able to beat them? Pass rush?

Thanks.
  23. Fball

Fball Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Giants schedule was brutal this year; one of the toughest in the league.

The playoffs are just a new season. Regular season records are kind of out the window. That Pats did play the Giants earlier, and that one could have gone either way. Both teams have improved since then.

I can't see how this isn't a close game, unless the lights are too bright for one team and it gets away from them early, like SB's of old....
  24. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I have seen and heard a fair amount of similar comments from Pats fans in the last 24 hours and I'm not understanding it. Giants should be favored because they beat the Pats earlier this year? Based on that logic you should have felt the Bills should have been favored to beat the Patriots in December, and I doubt you felt that way.

Aside from the oddsmakers attempting to get people to bet and to have an approximately equal amount of money bet on both sides, there are valid reasons why the Pats should be favored.

• Patriots: 13-3 (15-3); Giants: 9-7 (12-7)
    • Pats defense: 21.4 points per game (15th); Giants D: 25.0 ppg (25th)
    • Pats offense: 32.1 points per game (3rd); Giants O: 24.6 ppg (9th)
    • Turnovers: Pats +17; Giants +7
    • Patriots have won ten games in a row; Giants have won five straight but are 6-5 in last 11 games

Although there are plenty of reasons why the Giants could win this game, I don't see a valid reason why they should be favored to win.
  25. Satchboogie3

Satchboogie3 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Throw out regular season stats, they don't mean anything now. This is a focused and healthy Giants team, we've seen what they can do.

Anyways, a valid reason? I'll give 5:
    1. Dismantled the Falcons on the road.
    2. Manhandled Greebay on the road.
    3. Beat the NFC's 2 seed and a very tough defense on the road.
    4. Manning is playing lights-out and his receivers are making almost Tyree like catches.
    5. Like the Pats, in big games, they make the plays they need to.

It's going to be a very, very tough game.
  26. grux

grux Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I don't gamble anymore but I think the bookmakers got this one wrong. In the regular season the giants lost to the 49ers, Saints, Seahawks, Greenbay, Eagles and redskins twice. They should have split with the Skins and won the Seahawks game. Their other losses were against playoff teams and an ok Eagles team. Their road to the superbowl was also more difficult (road wins against greenbay and the 49ers.). I would have opened this line at Giants -2 and watched which way the sharps moved the line. Either way I just want Robert Kraft hoisting up the Lombardi trophy to his wife in the sky.
  27. Double TE

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Agreed, great D Line and great Offense

Not sure, how is their O LINE and Secondary?
  28. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Double check my last sentence.

I agree that there are plenty of reasons why the Giants could win this game; I didn't say that there are not (reasons why the Giants could win), and I don't think anyone is debating that.

I was responding to those that believe that the Giants should be favored.

There is a major difference between 'can win this game' and 'should be favored to win this game'; those are two entirely different things.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.