PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Agree To Terms With RB Donald Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess he's good in blitz pickup?

Why do I like this?
If you follow what they do, their strategy is increasingly clear. Free up money to pay Butler, Collins, Hightower, Ryan, and Dodson.

OK, maybe the first three or four.

Mayo retirement. Staying out of the free agency frenzy for WR, CB, RB. Trade Chandler Jones.

The Pats have pretty consistently spent right to the cap every year. They are not the Jaguars with $40mm in extra cap space. They are not the Bills or Giants or Jets gorging on high-priced quick-fix free agents, later forced to purge contracts. They rolled forward about $1mm, which meant they spent right to the cap - but did it relatively wisely.

The one top-tier free agent they were reportedly in on was Marvin Jones, and we don't know what they offered - only that Jones considered it when accepting his $8mm per year deal. Otherwise they have been shedding contracts and saving space. Signing Donald Brown, probably to a vet min type deal, rather than Matthew Forte to a $4mm deal, is all about freeing up the money they need to re-sign their core to smart, longer-term deals.

When they sign Hogan rather than Sanu, when they trade $8mm 2015 and $15mm 2016 Chandler Jones for $2mm Jonathan Cooper, when they sign $1mm Brown rather than $4mm Matt Forte, they are signing Butler; they are signing Collins; they are signing Hightower. They are signing Dodson? OK, maybe not Dodson.

If Brown makes the team that means they came up empty in the draft in acquiring a 3 down threat.

He most likely is an upgrade over White as a runner but not as a receiver.

With that said I bet they went with Brown b/c of his ability to play STs over burn outs like Foster.
I mean if we end up needing to keep him then he would be worth that. Not getting into the circumstances that would lead to it, just that if we end up in that boat, its a good thing we signed him.
A contingency.

I mean if we end up needing to keep him then he would be worth that. Not getting into the circumstances that would lead to it, just that if we end up in that boat, its a good thing we signed him.
A contingency.

I agree. At the end of the day that is what it is.

Its not a "stupid"or "laughable" signing but to me one (hopefully) has very little consequence of being long for this world.

Just have to laugh at the people that think this move is intended to be anything more than having a veteran body at camp when you got Lewis coming back the injury, most likely Blount coming back from his injury and probably a rookie RB..

Bookmarking this post so I can refer back to it in October when Donald Brown is on pace for 2000 all purpose yards. #booya

There once was an excellent RB named Brown. Rumors of his blocking shortcomings were probably exaggerated. He's a friend of BB's.

However, his first name wasn't Donald.

$250K guarantees? They have to think he has a reasonable chance of making the team.

$250K guarantees? They have to think he has a reasonable chance of making the team.

They gave a playbook challenged Reggie Wayne $400k for just making a promotional appearance for a few weeks in Foxboro.

Brown is already on the bubble. $250k is a retainer in case they come up empty in the draft, FA or Lewis, Blount or whomever else can't play.

DAMNIT, DONALD!!

anybody used that yet?

I'm more comfortable giving a 28 year old RB a minimum contract with $250k guarantee than giving a 30 year old RB with heavy mileage a 3year/$12M deal but that's just me.
Especially when hes only going to see the field 50% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back