PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Agree To Terms With RB Donald Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
No ****. Hence the "most likely" being because I think he will be back with the team

Ok just seems a tad silly to laugh at people.. And be so sure hes camp fodder for a guy who you "think" will be on the team.

Still think he was a good prospect coming out. I'd like to see if we can revive his career, ala Lewis.

Not sure how signing a guy who has last 7 years in the NFL and played in 89 NFL games is laughable.
I know we want 53 all-pros, but teams need backups too.

I hate their situation at RB right now. They have major work to do before the season.

because he's cheaper than this?

CYw1Vg8.gif

Is it possible to give a guy less than vet minimum?

I certainly hope so.

I hate their situation at RB right now. They have major work to do before the season.

You don't like the Brown/Blount (presumably) combo?

Eh, he's okay I guess. I hope he's not getting more than the vet minimum and/or nothing guaranteed, because IMO that's all he's really worth. My guess/hope is that he isn't guaranteed much of anything yet, and the Pats are planning on addressing RB in the draft. Which would just make Brown insurance against the possibility that the draft board unfolds in a way that leaves the Pats without a good opportunity to pick a decent one.

Even then, I don't love the deal, as I'm not convinced he's a significant upgrade over James White, and White is really cheap.

F*** it, I can get behind it. It's probably a vet minimum deal. He does have some positive traits, maybe Coach Fears can get something out of him. If not, oh well. As others have said, you need camp bodies. We especially need camp bodies at RB, with Lewis, Gaffney and Develin all recovering from IR injuries, and Blount (if he were re-signed) in the same boat.

Not sure how signing a guy who has last 7 years in the NFL and played in 89 NFL games is laughable.
I know we want 53 all-pros, but teams need backups too.

That's one of the more aggressive straw men I've ever seen argued on this forum. How on earth do you equate not liking Donald Brown with "wanting 53 all-pros"?

I'm fine with the deal as long as he's not guaranteed any meaningful amount of money and can be cut without consequence in the likely event that he fails to beat out James White. But for the people who feel this doesn't improve the RB situation at all... well, there's a very good chance they're right.

The Patriots need lots of new warm bodies at running back early on. Develin, Gaffney, Lewis,
and Blount (if re-signed) might start training camp on PUP.

That's one of the more aggressive straw men I've ever seen argued on this forum. How on earth do you equate not liking Donald Brown with "wanting 53 all-pros"?

I'm fine with the deal as long as he's not guaranteed any meaningful amount of money and can be cut without consequence in the likely event that he fails to beat out James White. But for the people who feel this doesn't improve the RB situation at all... well, there's a very good chance they're right.
Strawman? People called the signing LAUGHABLE.
The guy is an NFL caliber player. He has been on a roster 7 years and been active virtually whenever healthy.
Laughable would be signing Tebow, or Ras I Dowling.
This guy will compete for a job, and has a track record that says he belong in the league and on the field as a back up. Teams need those kind of guys.

Camp body

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You don't like the Brown/Blount (presumably) combo?

I hate it. Blount is purely an inside the tackles power runner who is useless against good defenses and Brown shouldn't play for a good HS team. This is the worst I have seen this unit in the a Belichick era. I'm about as big an optimist as they get and I don't believe they can win a SB with this RB unit. I love Lewis but he is coming off of a no contact blown ACL and the rest of them are useless in the run game. I have zero confidence in this RB unit and believe they can't fix the OL if they are throwing 50 times a game. They are going to have to strike gold in the draft or this season could be a lost cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back