PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2014 Free Agents, Is Brandon Spikes Done In New England?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
By:

According to Pro Football Focus (PFF), Spikes was the 2nd ranked inside/middle linebacker against the run. And in 2013 with big Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly and Jerod Mayo on IR with an assortment of injuries, Spikes stepped up big time in run support as th...

By:

According to Pro Football Focus (PFF), Spikes was the 2nd ranked inside/middle linebacker against the run. And in 2013 with big Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly and Jerod Mayo on IR with an assortment of injuries, Spikes stepped up big time in run support as th...

Do not think there is a chance in hell that Brandon Spikes receives anything close to $4 million per season. He is a two down LB actually some weeks he is a one down LB. Before Mayo’s injury, he played 46% of the snaps and that was with Jamie Collins receiving no playing time.

• Week 1-16-64
• Week 2-31-74
• Week 3-37-71
• Week 4-6-76
• Week 5-57-69
• Week 6-48-66
• Total-195-420

I hope so. I've been counting the days till Spikes moves on for a long time.

I have a feeling Spikes will be wearing Green next year.

Spikes needs to be in a 3-4. I could see Romeo and BOB looking at him.

Not a fan, eh?

Spikes is what he is - a physical run defender who has some nice instincts and playmaking ability. He's mainly a 2 down player, and by far a better fit in a 3-4. He has had some off-field issues. I don't dislike Spikes per se, but he is a bit of a dinosaur, and a misfit for a defense that needs more mobile LBs.

Spikes is what he is - a physical run defender who has some nice instincts and playmaking ability. He's mainly a 2 down player, and by far a better fit in a 3-4. He has had some off-field issues. I don't dislike Spikes per se, but he is a but of a dinosaur, and a misfit for a defense that needs more mobile LBs.

While I think you're being a bit too bearish on Hightower, I think you're right about Spikes. Mayo-DH-Collins could be an excellent grouping.

He's a better hitter than Hightower

but both are run-stuffers who don't excel in pass coverage, and you really don't need two of those, once they get expensive, in such a pass-happy league.

Nink/Mayo/Spikes/Hightower would be a good foundation for a 3-4 defense. The problem is that they don't have the DL for the job. They never came near to replacing Seymour. Hell, they've never even come near to replacing Warren.

Spikes is what he is - a physical run defender who has some nice instincts and playmaking ability. He's mainly a 2 down player, and by far a better fit in a 3-4. He has had some off-field issues. I don't dislike Spikes per se, but he is a but of a dinosaur, and a misfit for a defense that needs more mobile LBs.

While I agree with your cold, hard football analysis, I always enjoyed watching Spikes play for us, OK except that is when he tried to cover someone.

Best wishes for a continued career elsewhere, Brandon.

I want him, he makes good instinctive plays behind the line. Hopefully he can be had at the right price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST