PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2011 Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is what it is. Not so good a game played last night by any means. But what can they do except go out there and play better against the Giants? What do you do? They have a first round pick at left guard, a former first round pick at LT with a 1st rounder ready to be groomed for the position. A 2nd round pick in Vollmer at RT who has played fantastic up until last night. Granted Koppen gets manhandled by stronger tackles but he has been a probowler in the past. And left right guard is just a weakness we are going to have to hide/deal with this season unless Cannon remarkably progresses to starting material after he is released to play or they sign some late F/A that ressurects his career here.

There is a lot of talent there, more so than most teams in the NFL. Probowls,1st and 2nd rounders so it's not like they are not investing into the offensive line. I'd like to see how they respond to the Giants next week who will be another challenge no doubt depending on who plays and who doesn't.

No doubt Brewster or Konz >{if he come out} should be priority 1 as of right now for next years draft as the top centers to replace Koppen who seems to have trouble with bullrushers. Maybe draft another guard for backup duty with high upside for starting potential.

Again, the commitment ot the offensive line is there. It's not like they are not trying to address it. Their first round pick a left tackle and a 5th round pick on a guy who many thought was a sure 2nd, early 3rd rounder. I don't see this team wowing any top flight offensive lineman through free agency. That is an expensive venue as seen by Mankins contract. Having two of those types of expensive contracts would hurt this team in other areas.

The typical bland we got to keep practicing, we got to get better and execute simply does apply to our situation. This our offensive line, like it or not. As BB implied, the coaching sucked,the executions sucked and so did the effort as far as I'm concerned. They will be better.

I know i repeated several things in this post but it is simply reiterating the obvious. Sorry.

I see you're back in your routine of making dumb, consistently negative comments. Just for the hell of it.

He's the highest paid guard in NFL history and IMO he's barely a top 5 guard.

Chris Snee
Carl Nicks
Jahri Evans
Brandon Moore

There 4 IMO are definitely better than Mankins and others like Rich Seubert(if he gets healthy) and Josh Sitton are also arguable.

It is what it is. Not so good a game played last night by any means. But what can they do except go out there and play better against the Giants? What do you do? They have a first round pick at left guard, a former first round pick at LT with a 1st rounder ready to be groomed for the position. A 2nd round pick in Vollmer at RT who has played fantastic up until last night. Granted Koppen gets manhandled by stronger tackles but he has been a probowler in the past. And left right guard is just a weakness we are going to have to hide/deal with this season unless Cannon remarkably progresses to starting material after he is released to play or they sign some late F/A that ressurects his career here.

There is a lot of talent there, more so than most teams in the NFL. Probowls,1st and 2nd rounders so it's not like they are not investing into the offensive line. I'd like to see how they respond to the Giants next week who will be another challenge no doubt depending on who plays and who doesn't.

No doubt Brewster or Konz >{if he come out} should be priority 1 as of right now for next years draft as the top centers to replace Koppen who seems to have trouble with bullrushers. Maybe draft another guard for backup duty with high upside for starting potential.

Again, the commitment ot the offensive line is there. It's not like they are not trying to address it. Their first round pick a left tackle and a 5th round pick on a guy who many thought was a sure 2nd, early 3rd rounder. I don't see this team wowing any top flight offensive lineman through free agency. That is an expensive venue as seen by Mankins contract. Having two of those types of expensive contracts would hurt this team in other areas.

The typical bland we got to keep practicing, we got to get better and execute simply does apply to our situation. This our offensive line, like it or not. As BB implied, the coaching sucked,the executions sucked and so did the effort as far as I'm concerned. They will be better.

I know i repeated several things in this post but it is simply reiterating the obvious. Sorry.

I didnt see it, but, why didnt they have Gronk on the OL to help out????? I mean how many knock downs TB needs before BillB puts support on the OL???

I didnt see it, but, why didnt they have Gronk on the OL to help out????? I mean how many knock downs TB needs before BillB puts support on the OL???

Because the pressure came right up the middle. Not to say that Vollmer (and to a lesser extent) Solder were blameless.

Solder and Mankins played decent games from what I saw. I am watching the game again right now.

It makes you wonder if Dante and BB got their buttes kicked in everything related oline? My huge question is did all their adjustments fail in the first half? Or did they hold fast to their scheme and realize they would fix the breakdowns another day for an attack like that? I'm hoping it's the latter.

Chris Snee
Carl Nicks
Jahri Evans
Brandon Moore

There 4 IMO are definitely better than Mankins and others like Rich Seubert(if he gets healthy) and Josh Sitton are also arguable.

Needless to say, I don't agree with your list at all.

Brandon Moore better than Mankins? LOL.

Because the pressure came right up the middle. Not to say that Vollmer (and to a lesser extent) Solder were blameless.

Solder and Mankins played decent games from what I saw. I am watching the game again right now.

If you've finished watching the game, did it seem that Solder was over-powered as often tonight as he was during the prev. 2 games combined? I've only re-watched the 1st qtr, but at first viewing, that's what it looked like to me.

It's just preseason, but the two biggest concerns about this line have not yet been favorably resolved:

Solder isn't ready to start, and he does seem to have a functional strength issue, despite adamant earlier claims to the contrary

Connolly still isn't playing as if he's starter quality, even after starting all of last year

If you've finished watching the game, did it seem that Solder was over-powered as often tonight as he was during the prev. 2 games combined? I've only re-watched the 1st qtr, but at first viewing, that's what it looked like to me.

He looked good. It's tough because he's yielding to the outside in pass blocking so it looks like he's being overpowered. He didn't let his guy touch Brady 99% of the game though he did steer them close quite a few times which might have spooked a very nervous Brady. What I see are very good feet. That first block on the swing pass where he cuts the charging DE showed a lot of agility. On run blocking plays (he along with Mankins) were the only two getting consistent push downfield so I doubt strength is going to be a huge factor with him.

Koppen, Connolly, Light and Vollmer showed nothing in the run blocking game.

Gronk was his usual solid blocker though he missed a crucial block to the inside on a 3rd and 1 when he chose to double the DE with Yeatman and allowed the LB to stuff Law Firm.

Koppen was actually better than I previously thought so a big mea culpa to him on that one.

This one is on Brady. He blew a bunch of easy throws last night and he had a lot more time than I initially thought.

Re: Lots of talk about the DL, but I'm excited about this year's OL.

Too bad your whole argument is based on misread data. You need to re-look at that link you provided. Light isn't bottom three. The chart has worst at 1 not 15. Light is roughly middle of the pack at LT, which is about right IMO.

Bushrod and Roos are also middle of the pack.

Worst is Dombrowski, third worst is Diehl.

But thanks for stopping by :rolleyes:

Heh - you're absolutely right. Good catch.

Chris Snee
Carl Nicks
Jahri Evans
Brandon Moore

I'm a Jets fan, and Moore is, IMO (and Michael Lombardi's, FWIW), a top 10 guard in the league - but he isn't in Mankins' zipcode. The only other player who is is Evans.

(FYI, Lombardi agrees with me that Light is no top 10 LT)

So are you claiming that the OL did look pretty good tonight?
You still don't get it do you, 24 lockdown referrs to Darryl Revis. The guy is a Jests troll thats why he said the OL looked good, he was being sarcastic.

Last edited:
It's just preseason, but the two biggest concerns about this line have not yet been favorably resolved:

Solder isn't ready to start, and he does seem to have a functional strength issue, despite adamant earlier claims to the contrary

Connolly still isn't playing as if he's starter quality, even after starting all of last year

Wait? You mean Solder isn't ready to protect our franchise QB as of day one? Who would've thought that would happen?

But..but....Belichick's "done it before."

We didn't draft him at #17 to sit on the bench :rolleyes:

(These comments have been cracking me up all summer.)

Last edited:
You still don't get it do you, 24 lockdown referrs to Darryl Revis. The guy is a Jests troll thats why he said the OL looked good, he was being sarcastic.

Oops...now I get it...

Boston Herald »» Patriots LT Matt Light explains why he needs the practice reps more than other guys

I just re-watched Light’s playing time against the Lions, and he did look kinda shaky. He mostly made his blocks, but he did get knocked back a few times. On a run outside, he allowed a defender to push him back and set the edge.

Perhaps that’s why he said, prior to the Patriots Charitable Foundation Dinner the other night, that he needs the reps.

“Regardless of how many times you’ve done it, repetition is really what gives you that confidence,” Light said. “It gives you the ability to go out there and do what you do. Some guys can go out there and probably walk through it and it just kinda happens for them. Others, like myself, I need the reps. So, it was good to be back out.”

“It was good to be back out there,” Light said. “The preseason’s all about fine-tuning the little things and doing what you gotta do, no matter how long you’ve been doing it. It’s always good to go out there and get those reps when it’s a game that you can work on all those little things. So, obviously it didn’t go the way we wanted it to as a team overall, but for a lot of us, it was a chance to go out there, take a few more reps, get in tune with everything for what is going to be an eventual long season, as it always is.”

Last edited:
Logan Mankins should take a pay cut.

Couldn't figure out why they signed him for top dollar. He's good but not top guard in the league good. If we don't win the SB, he was overpaid for sure. Yes, you're being negative according to our resident school marm, but I think it's a fair comment.

Re: Lots of talk about the DL, but I'm excited about this year's OL.

Joe Thomas
Jake Long
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Ryan Clady
Jason Peters
Michael Oher
Michael Roos
Marcus McNeill
Donald Penn
Chad Clifton
Jordan Gross
Doug Free
Jermon Bushrod
Russell Okung
Trent Williams
Jonathon Scott

And that's just off the top of my head.

Donald Penn?? Andre Carter's little whipping boy?

Michael Oher ??? Maybe a RT, LT never.

Russel Okung???? Maybe if and when he could actually walk...

And that's just off the top of my head, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes