PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pass rush or bust!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would, early in the game though. Give it a shot, see how it goes, get in Rives face, knock him down, and see the effect. Blitz Sanders. He hits like Rodney.

I can just see the threads now if LT goes the distance on Sanders.

"Sanders took a bad angle"

"Rodney would have made that play"

Why gamble so early in a game?

TBC and Colvin rush about the same - it all depends on formation and coverage assignments. Vrabel and Bruschi are more often in coverage, but Vrabes gave Penny a nice shot coming unblocked on a blitz up the middle yesterday.

I'd love to see if Reiss could do some sort of breakdown that way. How many times the pats sent 5 men rushing, 6 rushing, 4 rushing. and i'd love to see how many plays colvin and tbc rushed. maybe you're right.

it just seemed that tbc was rushing from the right end spot quite a bit.

You forgot one....

"It's NEM's Fault."

good point, but I figured it was a new year, new season so I'm cutting you a break. a nice fresh start.

I'd love to see if Reiss could do some sort of breakdown that way. How many times the pats sent 5 men rushing, 6 rushing, 4 rushing. and i'd love to see how many plays colvin and tbc rushed. maybe you're right.

it just seemed that tbc was rushing from the right end spot quite a bit.
TBC stood out yesterday, but based on some pregame reading, I'm assuming it was because he was working against a weak link in the pass blocking - Fergie gave up 10 sacks prior to this game if I remember correctly, I think Light entered the game at somewhere around half that.

TBC stood out yesterday, but based on some pregame reading, I'm assuming it was because he was working against a weak link in the pass blocking - Fergie gave up 10 sacks prior to this game if I remember correctly, I think Light entered the game at somewhere around half that.

Seymour has a great matchup aginast the rookie Left Tackle.

I love our d-line and it's depth. They're all beasts.

You obviously have no grasp of Patriot football. The essence of BB football is to keep the game close. Force teams to take underneath routes and mix up coverage. 99% of the time they never leave a corner on single coverage, there is always a safety back to help and never let anyone behind the defense.

Didn't you see the Faulk td where the JEts gambled with the blitz hoping he would block and he released and was wide open.... do you want LT going for 80 yards?

The defense is predicated on the d-line(front 3 rushing) and TBC was a fourth rusher most of the time.

If you mean blitz by sending 5 players then i can see that, but sending 6 I see them only do that 2-3 times the whole game if that.

Keep an eye on that during the game.

Did you see Chad picking our team apart? Getting 5 seconds per throw, in the pocket. Lt will most likely be forced to stay in and block, but yes there is a risk, and one we need to take.

Biggles nailed it, blitzing is sexy but the Patriots do not blitz very often. It is going to take the full effort of the front 7 and maybe a safety to contain LT. Blitzing creates gaps and I don't think they will risk a 80 yard touchdown. The goal will be to create 3rd and 5+ so they can create looks to confuse the QB. In 3rd and long there may be some blitzing but don't count on it being a staple of the gameplan.

Also this will be a 60 minute game, blitzing is tiring. Teams that blitz a lot tend to tire in the 4th quarter. Base 3-4 with some safety help, bend but don't break and hold them to FGs. And tell me if you have heard this, play a team game, offense, defense and special teams. All phases helping each other.

good insight.

Three words: bend don't break

You are still playing a rookie at offensive Left Tackle and your RT is not a star. Neal is used to having a 20-30 lb advantage over the LBs that he clears out. Like the Denver guys. The Pats play 250-260 # guys at LB that he can't just bulldoze. they often take on Guards an FB even a good one like Neal is much easier to face. The best part of your O line is your interior linemen, but their aren't that many all pros there either. As for pulling guards, if I recall you choose fat, big, guys with power, rather than Guards who can pull. No little 260 lb Ends or 280 pound tackles for you to overpower.

Perfect match up for the Pats DL that all play at 300 lbs plus.

Your dominant running game comes from the abilty or LT, Lorenzo Neal and adequate O linemen. Period. End of Story. Period ! It is not an overpowering line like KC used to have. No way, no how.

It should be a good game.

rookie at left tackle should've made the pro-bowl. he's one of the best LT's in the game.

lorenzo neal is a bowling ball of muscle.. if you think he's going to shy away from a linebacker you're sadly mistaken. you act like the patriots LB's are beasts.. they're not. they're slow.

the dominant running game is because we have the best backfield in the history of the NFL. LT, Lorenzo Neal, and Michael Turner. it also helps that we have a dominating offensive line, the best LT in the AFC, and all-pro guards and a pro-bowl center. THAT's where the domination comes from.

Wow, that was a nice story. Except for one thing. Your vaunted offensive line is going up against the best front 3 in football. You pull a guard and Wilfork will be taking the handoff from Rivers, not LT. You dont double up on him and you wont even have a hole to look at. Oh, then you have Big Sey and Warren. My concern with your run game is the ability of our OLB's to set the edge correctly.
My concern with your passing game is tight end coverage.
That is the end of my concerns with your offense.

umm.. maybe you haven't noticed, but the chargers offense is not going against their own defense. louis castillo, jamal williams, and igor olshansky are all at full strength. THEY are the best front 3 in the NFL, BY FAR. look at the rushing yards allowed in the first two games of the season when the chargers' front seven was healthy. the chargers are unstoppable at full strength, and everyone except for a backup DLineman will be healthy on sunday.

the patriots will be in for the beating of their lifetime, worse than the beat down they received at home the last time these two teams sparred.

I am always amazed at the pass rush 4-3 concept applied to a 3-4 defence. 3-4 defence when going against good rb is to hold the line with 7 men blocking the whole line.
unless you stop the run no way the QB is going to pass.Once they goto pass our DL can rip anyone.

I am expecting a version of 5 - 2 this week.stop LT and use the LB on gates .

They are going to have to be pretty deceptive when rushing the passer. I know LT is great, but our run stop is almost equally impressive. On passing downs, not only will they have to make it impossible for Rivers to find out who is rushing him and who isn't they also need to make it difficult for Gates to know who he is going to be covered by. I think they will need to bring a lot of pressure up the middle as well. Collapsing the pocket in Rivers face will force him to throw off his back foot.

Speaking of blitzing, I have noticed that when Rodney plays, they have him all over the field, and he runs a variety of safety blitzes. But when he is out, they seem to just drop both safeties back everytime in a 2 deep coverage. I'd like to see them surprise SD by blitzing Sanders or Hawk (assuming Rodney doesn't play).

rookie at left tackle should've made the pro-bowl. he's one of the best LT's in the game.

lorenzo neal is a bowling ball of muscle.. if you think he's going to shy away from a linebacker you're sadly mistaken. you act like the patriots LB's are beasts.. they're not. they're slow.

the dominant running game is because we have the best backfield in the history of the NFL. LT, Lorenzo Neal, and Michael Turner. it also helps that we have a dominating offensive line, the best LT in the AFC, and all-pro guards and a pro-bowl center. THAT's where the domination comes from.

Homerism at it's finest.

They are going to have to be pretty deceptive when rushing the passer. I know LT is great, but our run stop is almost equally impressive. On passing downs, not only will they have to make it impossible for Rivers to find out who is rushing him and who isn't they also need to make it difficult for Gates to know who he is going to be covered by. I think they will need to bring a lot of pressure up the middle as well. Collapsing the pocket in Rivers face will force him to throw off his back foot.

Speaking of blitzing, I have noticed that when Rodney plays, they have him all over the field, and he runs a variety of safety blitzes. But when he is out, they seem to just drop both safeties back everytime in a 2 deep coverage. I'd like to see them surprise SD by blitzing Sanders or Hawk (assuming Rodney doesn't play).

Im totally with you on this. Force Rivers to think fast, get him to do things out of character. Rodney missing is like missing our quater back. It is so noticable when hes missing. I heard Rodney is playing this week, so hopefully he will give us that added pressure, if needed. We cant give Rivers the time we gave Chad thats for sure.

Did you see Chad picking our team apart? Getting 5 seconds per throw, in the pocket. Lt will most likely be forced to stay in and block, but yes there is a risk, and one we need to take.

That's the entire philosophy of the defense, to keep everything underneath and not let anything get behind the defense.

They are hoping to get some of those to be incompletions and make teams go on 10 play drives increaing their chances of false start, making bad decisions etc.

The Pats had 44 sacks in the regular season, fifth highest in the NFL. They were fourth in interceptions. Both rankings suggest that the Pats got "adequate" pressure on opposing QBs.

Good stat but I think more importantly we should say it right now - Sacks are a really overrated stat. Original poster should know that the reason the Pats have not blitzed a lot this season is that the DL is so strong we can usually apply pressure without blitzing. I'm not saying we won't blitz next Sunday but we will carefully choose when to blitz. A blitz-happy defense just plays into the hands of LT who likes to run into the holes vacated by out of position defenders.

If the Pats can keep LT running into the middle of the field instead of letting him bounce outside that will go a long way towards containing him. Rivers is a rookie so force him to read exotic coverages and make mistakes. Sometimes blitzing can make the job 'easier' for a QB if they can read it pre-snap and then just toss it to the open man.

I believe that BB's gameplan will be a lot more complicated than us fans can dream off. Blitzing is not necessarily the key to victory. Comprehensive defensive scheming to contain LT will definitely be necessary. Rivers is not the key to the Chargers, I believe it is LT.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye