PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pass eligible to begin practicing this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As of yesterday. There is a 3-week period from the day after the 6th regular season game (Buffalo) to the day after the 9th regular season game (New York) that Pass can both begin practicing and come off the PUP. If he is not off the PUP by the day after the Jets game, he goes to the I.R.

All along, i've expected Patrick to jump onto the 53.
Three weeks is plenty of time - alas! - to incur another IR ... whose roster spot
Pass would fill.

Since he is a versatile player, who essentially earns his keep on the kick teams,
if we avoid season-ending injury during that span, i would expect
LeKevin Smith or Pierre Woods to be cut
... and re-signed to the practice squad ... perhaps at full regular salary.

Pass is gonna look good in NYJ green...

A minor point based upon how I recall PUP works... they have to activate him from the PUP list by the date you said, but he then has up to three weeks to practice during which time he isn't on the 53. So he could in theory come back to practice after the Jets game but the Pats wouldn't have to make a final decision on him until after the Detroit game December 3. This is what they would likely do if he's OK but they view him as injury insurance.

One more thing...

In my previous message I originally typed that I thought you were off by a week, that players were eligible to come off PUP after week 6 not game 6. But when I went looking for confirmation all I could find was Miguel's FAQ which clearly quotes someone saying "game 6", so I deleted that part.

But I now found a counterexample, from this past weekend. The Houston Texans activated K Wong from PUP prior to their game against JAX on Sunday, and he played. Like the Pats, they have already had their bye. Thus he was activated after week 6 but before his team's game 6.

So I believe the agent quoted regarding PUP in Miguel's FAQ is wrong, and all the dates already given in this thread move up a week. If so, Pass must be activated to practice after Indy rather than after the Jets and if he is, then a final decision must be made after Chicago (3 weeks). At this point I can't be completely certain but that's what I believe.

psychoPat said:
All along, i've expected Patrick to jump onto the 53.
Three weeks is plenty of time - alas! - to incur another IR ... whose roster spot
Pass would fill.

Since he is a versatile player, who essentially earns his keep on the kick teams,
if we avoid season-ending injury during that span, i would expect
LeKevin Smith or Pierre Woods to be cut
... and re-signed to the practice squad ... perhaps at full regular salary.
Yeah I think we really need to have Pass back on the roster...He is so precious to a team...Look at some examples - He throws the football up for grabs when going down with a Ham problem and wears a ski hat in the locker room with a disgruntled players number who was traded a week before - thats exactly what player we need back on the roster:rolleyes: - GET RID OF THE BUM AND KEEP OUR 4 RBS/FBS NOW!

alamo said:
One more thing...

In my previous message I originally typed that I thought you were off by a week, that players were eligible to come off PUP after week 6 not game 6. But when I went looking for confirmation all I could find was Miguel's FAQ which clearly quotes someone saying "game 6", so I deleted that part.

But I now found a counterexample, from this past weekend. The Houston Texans activated K Wong from PUP prior to their game against JAX on Sunday, and he played. Like the Pats, they have already had their bye. Thus he was activated after week 6 but before his team's game 6.

So I believe the agent quoted regarding PUP in Miguel's FAQ is wrong, and all the dates already given in this thread move up a week. If so, Pass must be activated to practice after Indy rather than after the Jets and if he is, then a final decision must be made after Chicago (3 weeks). At this point I can't be completely certain but that's what I believe.

I saw the same thing with Wong and figured Miguel's page was wrong.

I'll try to find confirmation.

Last edited:
So it turns out Miguel's page is indeed incorrect:

http://atlantafalcons.com/team/impDates.jsp

rtTriangle_red.gif
17: Beginning the day after the conclusion of the sixth regular season weekend and continuing through the day after the conclusion of the ninth regular season weekend, clubs are permitted to begin practicing players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform and Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness for a period not to exceed 21 days. Players may be activated during the 21-day practice period or until 4 p.m., New York time, on the day after the conclusion of the 21-day period.

Last edited:
What has Pass ever brought to the team we're not getting a better version of from other players?

It seems that his main value is versatile depth, so why not dawdle on bringing him back?

I expect Pass back on the roster. As for the "one play and done" fans, I'm glad you're not calling the shots for the club, Tom Brady would be in Miami whipping up on your perfect players.

And how does Pass wearing a #88 knit cap make him a problem?

Mike Reiss reported Belichick comment on Oct. 16th which was also probably a clue that Pass could have started practicing but wasn't going to:

"Belichick was asked questions on a few different topics.
* On if running back Patrick Pass will be removed from the team’s physically unable to perform list this week, Belichick said that won’t happen."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back